We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Vortex Tours - Solo Journey

US East Coast
Level Contributor
143 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Vortex Tours - Solo Journey

I am visiting Sedona and would like to do a Vortex Tour. My goal is primarily educational - looking to learn and understand what a Vortex is, see some of the sites, perhaps do one of the prayers/meditations that are typically done, etc. I'm not looking for an Off-Road tour as I have some neck and back issues that prevent me from doing these - looking more to drive On-Road to the area and walk to the site.

I found a couple of tours that I'm interested in that are run by Companies that received very high ratings on Tripadvisor. However, the concern that I have is that most of these companies do not run group tours - the tours are customized to each customer which means that as I am traveling solo I would be on the tour by myself. It might be that this is fine;however, normally I would not be comfortable touring a more remote location by myself with someone I have never met due to safety concerns.

Wondering if anyone has any input to offer on this and/or any other ideas/recommendations as to ways to tour/learn about the Vortex sites.

Any information you have would be great. Thanks so much!

Sedona, AZ
Destination Expert
for Sedona, Arizona, Monument Valley
Level Contributor
58,233 posts
231 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Vortex Tours - Solo Journey

Here's what I think. Vortexes are a hoax. Vortex tours, (like all the other tours) are about revenue. There's nothing wrong with being in business to earn a living. I have reservations though about a business that perpetuates questionable stories and information. An individual tour will allow the guide to tailor the tour to your wants and needs. Again, I see no problem with the concept. My concerns involve exploiting a scam. A group tour would be more generic, less personal and overall, a result of the guide's own perception of what the group wants most. This will be true of any tour that you book.

There is energy in Sedona. I don't dispute that. However, if you're coming to Sedona to learn how to meditate and sense that energy, you're setting yourself up.

I would have no fear about going on an individualized tour. You won't be in danger. However, I urge you to carefully inquire and inspect the permits and credentials of any private guide that you employ. Many are known to take visitors on trails where they are not authorized to go for commercial tours. Best advice I can give is to stick with the bigger companies and avoid vortex scams.

JMO

Sedona, AZ
Destination Expert
for Sedona
Level Contributor
2,225 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Vortex Tours - Solo Journey

Here's an article that might be helpful. And if you search the internet for "Sedona vortex" you can find many more articles.

http://www.visitsedona.com/article/213

Basically, most people consider Sedona to have energy. Over 30 years ago, a woman named Page Bryant decided to name several specific sites in Sedona as vortexes. Whether this was random or due to her own feelings at these sites or just for marketing, I don't know.

You can simply meditate on your own anywhere in Sedona and probably feel the energy if you are open to it. IMO, the reason to hire a guide is if you want a guided meditation, or guided help with spiritual awareness and growth, or if you want to listen to stories.

I also would not want to go with a stranger to a remote location. Most, if not all, of the vortex sites are popular sites where there will be other people around. So you might want to avoid a guide who says he/she will take you to some secret hidden vortex location.

Chicago
Destination Expert
for Pompano Beach
Level Contributor
4,235 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Vortex Tours - Solo Journey

You will feel the energy without a tour guide. Try Cathedral Rock (you don't need to hike to the top), Boynton Canyon, Bell Rock and Little Horse to Chicken Point. The energy hits me when I least expect it.

Enjoy!

4. Re: Vortex Tours - Solo Journey

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10 January 2015, 06:30