We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Sedona > Grand Canyon: What time to hit the road?

Which Sedona hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Qaanaaq, Greenland
Level Contributor
23 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Sedona > Grand Canyon: What time to hit the road?

Given hopefully clear conditions, traveling late February on a weekday, what time would you recommend leaving Sedona (and arriving at the GC), and departing the GC, arriving back in Sedona?

Many thanks in advance!

Sedona, AZ
Destination Expert
for Sedona, Arizona, Monument Valley
Level Contributor
56,537 posts
225 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Sedona > Grand Canyon: What time to hit the road?

Leave Sedona at dawn. Take 89A up through Oak Creek Canyon. Follow the east route to 89 north to Cameron Trading Post. Have breakfast there, then enter the park at Desert View. Leave the park via the main gate through Tusayan by 4:30 to insure that you'll be back in Sedona before dark. Driving back down Oak Creek Canyon and arriving Sedona as the sun begins to set is stunning.

Chicago
Destination Expert
for Pompano Beach
Level Contributor
4,193 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Sedona > Grand Canyon: What time to hit the road?

Yes, leave as early as possible. You might also be interested in a stop at Wupatki and Sunset Crater north of Flagstaff.

Sudbury, Canada
Level Contributor
132 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Sedona > Grand Canyon: What time to hit the road?

Hi RedRox, I will be coming to Phoenix and Sedona in March and have been following the forum getting all the great advice and tips you have been providing. I just wanted to ask, because I know I will have to give a reasonable explanation to my husband lol. Why do you recommend the 89N route to the Grand Canyon. When I google map the directions it sends me to Flagstaff and then up. It is also showing that it takes longer to get there on 89N. I definitely trust you expertise. Thanks for all your help.

Sudbury, Canada
Level Contributor
132 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Sedona > Grand Canyon: What time to hit the road?

That is ok RedRox, I have taken a closer look at the map and see exactly what you are suggesting.

It was just a bit confusing as it was showing a 89 that goes through Prescott.

I will going to take notes on your tips. Thanks

Terri

Sedona, AZ
Destination Expert
for Sedona, Arizona, Monument Valley
Level Contributor
56,537 posts
225 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Sedona > Grand Canyon: What time to hit the road?

The point is to use both gates at the Grand Canyon National Park, one to enter and one to exit.

From Flagstaff (you can skirt Flagstaff) take I-40 east to 89 and 89 north to Cameron. At Cameron take AZ64 up to the east gate at Desert View. IMO this is a better place to enter the park and get your first view than at Tusayan and Mather Point ( mob scene).

Time to EITHER gate from Sedona is about 2 hours. Add a stop for brunch at Cameron Trading Post and it will save you time for the day, because you won't need to eat again all day.

Sudbury, Canada
Level Contributor
132 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Sedona > Grand Canyon: What time to hit the road?

Thanks, will be following your advice.

7. Re: Sedona > Grand Canyon: What time to hit the road?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 January 2015, 06:20