We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Where to stay?

Which Sedona hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Philadelphia...
2 posts
Save Topic
Where to stay?

I'm heading to Sedona in April with my parents, I'm in my 20s and them in their 60s. I was wondering if it's better to stay in the Uptown area or more on the outside of town? What are the beneifts/downsides to each area?

Sedona, AZ
Destination Expert
for Sedona, Arizona, Monument Valley
Level Contributor
56,493 posts
225 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Where to stay?

Uptown puts you in the heart of the tourist district, close to shops and tour operators and activity marketing, as well as a few eateries. It also breeds congestion that local townspeople can thus avoid. Staying elsewhere gets you away from some of that congestion.

No matter where you stay, you'll use your car everyday to get to or from Uptown, and to the various attractions, trailheads, galleries and shopping and of course the many restaurants that are outside of the Uptown district.

Boston...
1 post
Save Reply
2. Re: Where to stay?

RedRox, Since there is Sedona and West Sedona, which is considered "Uptown"? We're looking for trail head access but also restaurants, coffee, galleries, etc.

Harleysville...
Destination Expert
for Fountain Hills
Level Contributor
4,937 posts
375 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Where to stay?

We like the West Sedona area. Lots of options there. There are several coffee cafe's - Java Love is one and of course the very popular Coffee Pot Restaurant with great breakfast and lunch.

Access to trails is easy to get to - Fay Canyon, Baldwin Trail and our favorite - the Red Rock loop - Rec Rock Crossing and crescent moon ranch.

Chicago
Destination Expert
for Pompano Beach
Level Contributor
4,193 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Where to stay?

Steve - Uptown is the area immediately north of the 'Y', the intersection of 89A and 179.

I prefer West Sedona for easy access to hikes, stores and restaurants. You will need a car to get almost everywhere in West Sedona and the area is not very pedesrian friendly.

I don't care for the congestion in Uptown but you can walk to everything nearby. You will still need to drive to hikes and most anything else not in immediate proximity. You might feel like walking from Uptown to shops south of the Y, but you will encounter highway traffic and busy intersections.

There are also many options south on route 179 in the Village of Oak Creek. Some areas are walkable but count on driving much of the time. You will also find many nice hikes such as Bell Rock, Little Horse and Cathedral Rock in this area.

Sedona, AZ
Destination Expert
for Sedona, Arizona, Monument Valley
Level Contributor
56,493 posts
225 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Where to stay?

Sedona is all of it. Uptown is Uptown Sedona.

6. Re: Where to stay?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 02 February 2015, 06:19