We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Vacationing with Various age groups

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
17 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
Vacationing with Various age groups

I am traveling to Sedona in early April with my children, 13 and 11, myself and husband, and my mother (she has limited mobility, not in a wheelchair) and my 9 month old niece. The kids are adventurous, but I don't want my mother to feel left out. Can you give suggestions on some activities that we can all do together. We definitely want to go to the Grand Canyon. Thank you for your help.

Sedona
Destination Expert
for Sedona
Level Contributor
3,370 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Vacationing with Various age groups

As you enter the Village of Oak Creek you can go to the USFS Visitor Center on your right. You can get a great picture of your group with Bell Rock in the distance.

You might enjoy the Chapel of the Holy Cross, The walk up is a little steep, but the Chapel is beautiful and you have great views from there as well as enjoying the Chapel. There's a little cart that will take you to the top of the parking lot or you can go up and drop your mom and one person off and go park.

You could go to Circle V Bar V and Montezuma Castle in Camp Verde. Both involve limited walking and are pretty easy to reach. Montezuma Castle is the easiest.

If you go to Red Rock State Park (on the west side) you can explore the park a little and see a film about Sedona. Maybe the boys and one parent can hike the trails a bit.

Much of the time you can just drive around Sedona and get out and enjoy the beautiful natural scenery, for example on the Scenic Byway between the Village of Oak Creek and Sedona or as you go through Oak Creek Canyon on your way to the Grand Canyon.

You might enjoy breakfast at the Coffee Pot Restaurant as a group as well.

Have a wonderful time making memories in Northern Arizona!

Harleysville...
Destination Expert
for Fountain Hills
Level Contributor
5,284 posts
446 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Vacationing with Various age groups

Would you consider having your husband take the kids on a jeep tour? You and your mother and niece could look around the stores while they do that. The Pink Jeep Broken Arrow tour is the best. There are plenty of benches and places for MIL to sit and rest. That would be the highlight of the trip for the kids.

At Red Rock Crossing there is a lot of flat ground where it would be easy for mom. There are picnic tables and rest rooms. The main attraction there is the iconic view of Cathedral Rock and the creek. The kids will love this area and crossing the creek on the huge flat rocks. Take the short path through the wooded area to Buddha Beach. Great area for the kids to explore.

The Grand Canyon is a 2 hour drive. The best way to do it is to stay overnight. The kids will love the Desert Watch Tower area and we recommend enter the park from the east. The parking at the Watch Tower is the only one that is a distance from the attraction. You can drop mom and kids off and then not too much of a walk. Again, the kids will love this area. All the rest of the viewpoints are much closer and don't involve a lot of walking, except the visitors center. That is always mobbed. The Village area, where the hotels and restaurants are offer nice rocking chairs on the porch of El Tovar. We had my MIL there twice in her late 80's and she loved that.

3. Re: Vacationing with Various age groups

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 06 February 2015, 05:19