We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Sedona suggestions - 6 months pregnant

Which Sedona hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Dallas
Level Contributor
10 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
Sedona suggestions - 6 months pregnant

We will be visiting AZ at the end of March and spending 3 nights in Sedona (+ 1 night at the Grand Canyon and 1 night in Phoenix). I'll be 6 months pregnant then, and would love to get some suggestions on activities or sightseeing that is fun but not too strenuous. Are there any easy hiking trails that are doable for a pregnant lady, but still let you take in the beautiful scenery? I would also be interested in recommendations for restaurants, shopping, golf (for the husband), and spas that offer prenatal massage. Thank you!

Scottsdale, Arizona
Level Contributor
4,974 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Sedona suggestions - 6 months pregnant

You probably should check with your doctor first about what you can handle before you take the advice of a bunch of anonymous strangers on the internet.

Dallas
Level Contributor
10 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Sedona suggestions - 6 months pregnant

Ugyved2 - All my travel plans have been discussed with my doctor, and I know to avoid things like the bumpy off-roading tours or full day intense hikes. My husband is a doctor as well - trust me, I'm covered on that front. I did not post here asking for medical advice from strangers, but simply to ask for locals' input on relatively easy sightseeing activities and suggestions for restaurants, spas, etc. Thanks.

Sedona, AZ
Destination Expert
for Sedona, Arizona, Monument Valley
Level Contributor
57,034 posts
227 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Sedona suggestions - 6 months pregnant

Ignore the first reply.

Sedona is probably the most peaceful and relaxing place you'll ever see. You don't need to do anything extreme to enjoy the scenic beauty. Views are everywhere. Hiking is popular as an activity, but you can enjoy just as much while only taking a few steps from your car. There aren't any trails that require you to achieve a summit or an end point to be rewarded. Most trails are the kind where you can wander a few steps or a few miles and it doesn't make a difference. It's more about spending time in the outdoors.

For restaurants tell us what you like to eat and give us a budget. Better yet, look at the restaurant links and reviews and ask specific questions about those that appeal to you. My top three would be Harrys Hideaway, Elote Cafe and Dahl & Diluca. Shop at Tlaquepaque. Golf at Oakcreek CC or Sedona Golf Resort. Best spa is MiAmo at Enchantment.

Chicago
Destination Expert
for Pompano Beach
Level Contributor
4,208 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Sedona suggestions - 6 months pregnant

You will definitely enjoy some easy walks at Bell Rock loop trails and Long Canyon trail. Also look at Red Rock SP for some additional easy walks with additional views. There are plenty of places to stop and look at the scenery as well.

Be sure to take the drive through Oak Creek Canyon between Grand Canyon and Sedona.

Edited: 03 February 2014, 03:18
Arizona
Destination Expert
for Scottsdale
Level Contributor
4,501 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Sedona suggestions - 6 months pregnant

Congratulations on the upcoming birth of your child!

For shopping i would recommend Tlaquepaque...it is in town, easy to negotiate and plenty of pretty places to sit and just people watch. The galleries are like small museums. Lots of interesting shops as well, plenty of dining options in a beautiful setting. P.S. my daughter visited Sedona last year when she was about 5 months pregnant and said it was a perfect outing for relaxation and getting away from Phx.

The Chapel of the Holy Cross is a lovely visit. The driveway up is steep and long, suggest you get dropped off at the top/entry and allow your husband to park and walk the hill :).

Most of the resort spas in the valley will offer a maternity massage, the one my daughter in law loved was at Marriott Camelback Inn here in Phx/Scottsdale area.

Dallas
Level Contributor
10 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Sedona suggestions - 6 months pregnant

Thank you so much! These last several replies are very helpful.

RedRox - It is reassuring to hear that we'll get to take in all of Sedona's beauty without going to any extremes! Some places we've visited in the past required a great deal of effort to reach any sort of scenic viewpoint, and I wasn't sure if Sedona would be the same way. Glad to hear that's not the case. :) I will make sure to check out the restaurant reviews before the trip. I looked up the ones you named and they all sound right up our alley! We really love all kinds of foods; though my favorite is probably Mexican. (I'm definitely interested in trying some Mexican restaurants because I imagine they'll be a little different from the Tex-Mex style we're used to here.) As far as budget, when we're on vacation we'll typically do one splurge/fancy dinner (say $40+/pp) and eat at more mid-range places for the rest of the trip (say $20/pp). For lunch we like to do more casual dining - cafes, sandwich shops, or order-at-the-counter type places.

CTDesign - Thank you for the trail tips! I am definitely putting Oak Creek Canyon on our list as well.

AZFan - Thank you, and congrats on your grandchild! Tlaquepaque sounds like a nice area to explore, we will make sure to spend an afternoon there. We are hoping for one last relaxing getaway before the baby arrives, so I am glad to hear your daughter enjoyed Sedona during her pregnancy as well. :)

Chicago
Destination Expert
for Pompano Beach
Level Contributor
4,208 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Sedona suggestions - 6 months pregnant

Think about El Rincon for Mexican fare.

I also like Café Jose for breakfast or lunch and Nick's West any time (neither is very fancy). They have Mexican options as well.

Sedona, AZ
Destination Expert
for Sedona, Arizona, Monument Valley
Level Contributor
57,034 posts
227 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Sedona suggestions - 6 months pregnant

Best Mexican breakfast fare is at Miley's Cafe in VOC.

If you enjoy Mexican food, you'll love Elote Cafe. Not Mexican per se, a step above.

Edited: 03 February 2014, 21:15
Sedona
Destination Expert
for Sedona
Level Contributor
3,273 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Sedona suggestions - 6 months pregnant

I love Elote as well. Make sure you get there early (just before 5) or be prepared to sit on the patio and wait. They are closed Sunday and Monday.

10. Re: Sedona suggestions - 6 months pregnant

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 06 February 2015, 05:19