We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

West Fork Hiking Trail Comment/Question

Which Sedona hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Winnipeg, Manitoba
Level Contributor
13 posts
27 reviews
Save Topic
West Fork Hiking Trail Comment/Question

My husband and I were hiking at the West Fork hiking trail in March 2014. We were shocked to see not one but two different hikers along the trail with guns in a holster, not hidden and very obviously displayed. We are Canadian and this is something that you would not see on a hiking trail in Canada (because it is against the law). I was at first very concerned but my husband said that in the U.S. the laws are different in regards to guns. Is this legal and allowed in the U.S.? Is there really a need to have a gun on a hiking trail?

Sedona, AZ
Destination Expert
for Sedona, Arizona, Monument Valley
Level Contributor
57,049 posts
227 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: West Fork Hiking Trail Comment/Question

Totally legal in Arizona, thankfully. Not usually needed on a hike at West Fork, but last year we encountered a young man who was still shaking in his boots after coming face to face with a mountain lion as he crossed the creek.

Phoenix, Arizona
Destination Expert
for Phoenix
Level Contributor
6,400 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: West Fork Hiking Trail Comment/Question

What RR said. We used to ride our horses on the trails around Sedona, and at least one of us always had a gun, for the same reason mentioned above. Lots of people carry guns in the United States, especially here in Arizona. It's not a cause for concern, it's just a different mindset.

3. Re: West Fork Hiking Trail Comment/Question

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 25 March 2015, 05:15