We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

easy/flat hike for bad ankle?

Evanston, Illinois
Level Contributor
11 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
easy/flat hike for bad ankle?

hi

We are leaving for Sedona in a few hours -s o excited! I have an active 13 year old but my ankle is rebuilt (thanks to Chicago ice!). Elevation kills me so I wondered if there is any hikes that would allow us to see the Red Rocks without a lot of change in elevation or uneven ground? I know it's unlikely but thought I'd ask - thanks in advance. (We are two nights in Sedona then one night in GCNP at Thunderbird).

Edited: 07 April 2014, 01:26
St. Augustine...
Level Contributor
475 posts
132 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: easy/flat hike for bad ankle?

Well we were at Red Rock Crossing today and it is flat. There are tree roots to consider, but I have mobility issues (hip)and I had no problems at all.

It's a spectacular area with amazing views of Cathedral Rock and surrounding area. The ride to get there (upper red rock loop road) is just beautiful as well. I don't think you should have any trouble if you are careful.

There is a nominal charge to get in that is not covered by the red rock pass, but it is well worth it.

Sedona, AZ
Destination Expert
for Sedona, Arizona, Monument Valley
Level Contributor
57,507 posts
231 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: easy/flat hike for bad ankle?

Views are everywhere. You don't even need to get out of your car if you don't want to. But the paved paths at Crescent Moon park at Red Rock Crossing would be ideal. There are plenty of trails that start off relatively smooth and flat. Try Bell Rock Pathway, West Fork, Fay Canyon

Chicago
Destination Expert
for Pompano Beach
Level Contributor
4,220 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: easy/flat hike for bad ankle?

Long Canyon should work for you (it worked for a hiker recovering from a back operation).

I agree with Bell Rock and Fay but West Fork has creek crossings after about a mile.

Red Rock SP has some flat trails that are well groomed and a nice visitor center.

The Aerie trails are also relatively flat and will take you around the base of Doe Mountain and around Cockscomb. You might also look into the trails near Thunder Mountain Road.

USA
Level Contributor
778 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: easy/flat hike for bad ankle?

Try Red Rock State Park - the ranger guided 10:00 AM walk - very nice, easy and informative.

Columbus, Ohio
Level Contributor
97 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: easy/flat hike for bad ankle?

We just did Fay and Red Rock Crossing. I have a bad ankle and carried my daughter in a pack the whole way and had no issues. We also enjoyed Chapel of the Holy Cross for views.

ETA: I just noticed the date and realize you are probably gone now. But in case anyone else comes across this post, I will leave my answer

Edited: 13 April 2014, 06:12
6. Re: easy/flat hike for bad ankle?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 15 April 2015, 06:17