We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Phoenix, Grand Canyon, Sedona. Petrified Forest?

Washington, DC
Level Contributor
8 posts
27 reviews
Save Topic
Phoenix, Grand Canyon, Sedona. Petrified Forest?

I'm flying into Phoenix with my mother next week and we're headed to the Grand Canyon (staying at Yavapai Lodge, dinner at El Tovar) and a few days in Sedona that are all planned out. Thank you to everyone on the forums for great ideas!

Currently, I have Day 1 of our trip as driving to the Petrified Forest from Phoenix, seeing it, then driving to Winslow and staying at La Posada (with dinner reservations at the Turquoise Room). My mother is not able to hike, but she is able to drive and take photo ops and walk around a bit.

Is there something closer/a better use of our time than driving out to the Petrified Forest? Because we won't be able to hike, I want to make sure we're still seeing really beautiful scenery and things that are different than our East Coast surroundings - this is something of a Bucket List trip for my mother, and I want to show her the best of the incredible state of Arizona.

Thank you in advance for your suggestions!

Mentioned in this post
Phoenix
Phoenix
Central Arizona, AZ
Yavapai Lodge
Yavapai Lodge
2,907 Reviews
Grand Canyon National Park, AZ
El Tovar Hotel
El Tovar Hotel
3,181 Reviews
Grand Canyon National Park, AZ
Sedona
Sedona
Arizona
Winslow
Winslow
Arizona
La Posada Hotel
La Posada Hotel
1,973 Reviews
Winslow, AZ
Turquoise Room
Turquoise Room
1,597 Reviews
Winslow, AZ
Arizona
Arizona
United States
Jackson, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
577 posts
178 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Phoenix, Grand Canyon, Sedona. Petrified Forest?

Petrified forest is a park that can be enjoyed a lot by driving through and looking at scenery overlooks.

It will be a big change of scenery from what you get at home. Enjoy. La posada and turquoise room are great

Columbia, South...
Level Contributor
70 posts
375 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Phoenix, Grand Canyon, Sedona. Petrified Forest?

The chamber list sites:

http://winslowarizona.org/visiting-winslow/

Mesa, AZ
Level Contributor
1,401 posts
159 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Phoenix, Grand Canyon, Sedona. Petrified Forest?

Many people drive straight through the Petrified Forest, enjoying the overlooks along the way. Depending on your route from Phoenix, you may want to enter the park on 180, the southern end, and then make the museum/visitor center inside the park your first stop. The displays and the logs there are very good and your mother won't have to do much walking at all to see the petrified logs. From there, drive north through the park and stop at the overlooks that appeal to you. The Crystal Forest and the Blue Forest both have some excellent wood clearly visible from the parking lots. Exit the park at the north end and take I40 to Winslow.

Mentioned in this post
Phoenix
Phoenix
Central Arizona, AZ
Winslow
Winslow
Arizona
Uden, The...
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
60,942 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Phoenix, Grand Canyon, Sedona. Petrified Forest?

If your mother can "walk around a bit" a visit is recommended then. The mentioned visitor center is great indeed. Driving out of PF on I40 I suggest to make a very short detour in Holbrook and see the WigWam motel and the vintage cars.

Mentioned in this post
Holbrook
Holbrook
Arizona
Wigwam Motel
Wigwam Motel
995 Reviews
Holbrook, AZ
Washington, DC
Level Contributor
8 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Phoenix, Grand Canyon, Sedona. Petrified Forest?

Oh, good! Sounds like this is the right plan! Visitors Center and the overlooks recommended will go on the list. Thank you all!

Scottsdale, Arizona
Level Contributor
533 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Phoenix, Grand Canyon, Sedona. Petrified Forest?

The visitor center doesn't really have what I would consider hiking. A few paths have an incline, but it would be wheelchair accessible. Between the Petrified Forest and the Painted Desert next to it, it's a beautiful trip, and I'd highly recommend it to anyone who has mobility issues.

7. Re: Phoenix, Grand Canyon, Sedona. Petrified Forest?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 28 April 2015, 05:16