We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Only Three Days in Sedona.....What to do, what to do????

Louisville, Kentucky
Level Contributor
337 posts
48 reviews
Save Topic
Only Three Days in Sedona.....What to do, what to do????

We are coming to Sedona for a convention the last week of May, and arriving 3 days early to explore. It looks like there is too much to do and not enough time to see it all. I think a jeep tour would be great for a few hours, but what are "must do's" for the rest of the time. We are not big hikers, but some small trails would be nice, as well as historic and architectural sites. We also love good food, so dining recommendations would be a bonus! Thanks so much!

Red Rock Magic Trolley
Tramways, Sightseeing Tours
Great West Tours
Sightseeing Tours, Day Trips
Sedona Psychic Wisdom Tours
Sightseeing Tours, Walking Tours, Private Tours
Scottsdale, Arizona
Level Contributor
4,974 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Only Three Days in Sedona.....What to do, what to do????

There are no historic sites and only one architectural site...but it's a really good one. The Chapel of the Holy Cross is known all over the world. Must see!

Happy Trails!!!

Sedona, AZ
Destination Expert
for Sedona, Arizona, Monument Valley
Level Contributor
63,608 posts
247 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Only Three Days in Sedona.....What to do, what to do????

No historic sites? I beg to differ.

People have been visiting and living around Sedona for several thousand years, and they have left evidence in many places. Ancient ruins include Montezuma's Well and Castle, V-Bar-V Ranch, Palatki, Honanki, Tuzigoot and many more lesser known sites, but those might require a bit of a hike. The named sites are easy to access and tour.

More modern settlers arrived in the mid to late 19th century. Fort Verde State Park and the mining town of Jerome are places to find insight into what brought folks here and how they lived. There are historic sites and cabins all around Sedona and the Sedona Historic Society keeps a museum on Jordan Road that is well worth visiting.

Sedona's biggest attractions though are scenic. Read the Top Questions and trip plans on the right hand side of this page to understand how to use three days to tour in the three different directions from the intersection of 89A and 179 aka the Y.

Do your jeep tour early upon arrival to get oriented to the region and the spirit of Sedona. Pink Jeep is the biggest and best company in town and their Broken Arrow tour is generally acknowledged as the best. Book it early because it sells out every day.

Mentioned in this post
Honanki
Honanki
241 Reviews
Sedona, AZ
Jerome
Jerome
Arizona
Scottsdale, Arizona
Level Contributor
4,974 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Only Three Days in Sedona.....What to do, what to do????

Those are lists of prehistoric sites, not historic and none are IN Sedona. The Jordan House was built in the 1930's by a farming family that went bust in Jerome. Hardly historic. All the other places listed are 1/2 to 1 hour away from Sedona, not IN Sedona. The only two buildings that might have been considered as possibly historic were bulldozed and lie in ruins under the cowboy steak house and Tlaquepaque shopping mall. There are no "historic buildings" in Sedona. None at least that would make it onto any respected registry. That is not to say there are not many scenic wonders to view and hike there, but you are not going to find history in Sedona. If you are willing to drive out of Sedona to look at historic old west buildings, you are better off making the drive for a half day's visit to Prescott, original Territorial Capital and home to the real "Whiskey Row' a block of swinging door saloons dating back to the 1880's.

Mentioned in this post
Jerome
Jerome
Arizona
Prescott
Prescott
Arizona
Sedona, AZ
Destination Expert
for Sedona, Arizona, Monument Valley
Level Contributor
63,608 posts
247 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Only Three Days in Sedona.....What to do, what to do????

I'll not bother to address the Sedona detractor. His reputation is simply reinforced in this thread.

As to dining recommendations, I'll suggest reviewing the Sedona restaurant ratings and reviews to see an overview of the scores of great eateries around Sedona. Let us know where you're staying and we can fine tune a plan for you.

For breakfast the CoffeePot is the most popular spot in town but there are many others. My personal favorites for dinners include Elote Cafe, Cucina Rustica and Dahl & Diluca, Harry's Hideaway (in nearby Cornville), Silver Saddle at the Cowboy Club, School House (in Cottonwood) and the very newest place in town, Shallots Cafe, where Dan's Bistro used to be in West Sedona.

Mentioned in this post
Elote Cafe
Elote Cafe
4,448 Reviews
Sedona, AZ
Cucina Rustica
Cucina Rustica
2,550 Reviews
Sedona, AZ
Cornville
Cornville
Arizona
Shallots Cafe
Shallots Cafe
122 Reviews
Sedona, AZ
Dan's Bistro
Dan's Bistro
231 Reviews
Sedona, AZ
Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
139 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Only Three Days in Sedona.....What to do, what to do????

Well, I'm not sure the OP was really looking to take a position in a historiographical debate on a Tripadvisor forum, or quibble about whether a site that gives us insight into cultures that passed through and occupied the area in the past happened to be within the actual borders of Sedona or just outside them, but really, it is not as though the distinction between history and prehistory is hard and fast in this case (if it ever has been, since historians redefine the boundaries of their discipline continually - the lines that divide conceptual dichotomies are never really bright right up close to the borders). There is quite a lot of peer reviewed academic discussion, debate, disagreement, out there regarding what petroglyphs and pictographs actually are - calling them either "Art" or "Writing" really is sort of prejudging the outcome of that particular academic question. But if they were intended originally to convey messages, whether or not anyone is currently able to translate them reliably, then it is possible that they constitute some form of historical record, sans Rosetta Stone at present. Anyway, the OP might want to see the V-Bar-V Petroglyph site regardless, just because it would be cool. But what do I know. Just sayin'. :)

Louisville, Kentucky
Level Contributor
337 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Only Three Days in Sedona.....What to do, what to do????

Thanks RedRox for the suggestions, particularly on the touring companies. I was just about to post a question regarding reputable companies.

TomAtoes/Tomatoes - Looks like my use of the term "historic sites" struck some nerves. I was only asking for some suggested areas to research and appreciate any and all suggestions!

Columbia, South...
Level Contributor
70 posts
375 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Only Three Days in Sedona.....What to do, what to do????

We hit many of the places RedRox suggested (good expert to trust). I would also go with Pink Jeep. Jerome is a short drive away and wonderful for a change of pace. Get a map of the "vortex" sites and take yourself on a tour. All you need is a RR permit for parking. The sites are beautiful and don't require a lot of hiking. The pictures we took were beautiful.

Mentioned in this post
Jerome
Jerome
Arizona
Farmington...
Level Contributor
90 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Only Three Days in Sedona.....What to do, what to do????

How early, generally speaking, should I book a Pink Jeep Broken Arrow tour? Any time of day better than another? Thanks in advance.

Louisville, Kentucky
Level Contributor
337 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Only Three Days in Sedona.....What to do, what to do????

The more I read about Sedona the more I wish we had more time. We are staying at the Sedona Hilton. Any knowledge of the on sight restaurants or spa? Other spas in the area? I do have a gluten allergy, and need restaurants that can accommodate that. Any restaurant recommendation for a dinner with a sunset view?

Thanks for ll your help.

Columbia, South...
Level Contributor
70 posts
375 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Only Three Days in Sedona.....What to do, what to do????

I had to eat to accommodate other people...while I was there. I am a vegetarian, so I ate lots of salads at steak houses. :) Picazzo's Organic Italian Kitchen had gluten free food. And, the meat eaters loved the food there too. Win, win... :)