We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Bear in Boynton Canyon

Which Sedona hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Sedona
Destination Expert
for Sedona
Level Contributor
3,273 posts
53 reviews
Save Topic
Bear in Boynton Canyon

This is a message from Jennifer Burns of the US Forestry Service sent May 3:

Please avoid Boynton Canyon beyond Enchantment Resort for the next week. Having fewer visitors in the upper canyon is intended to relieve the stress on a wild bear that has been observed in Boynton Canyon.

Background: Forest Service and Game and Fish have been monitoring a wild bear in Boynton Canyon for the past 6 weeks, since a report about two local residents feeding a bear in the canyon. Investigations confirmed that a bear has been naturally browsing in Boynton and Long Canyon for the spring and that one, maybe two, local men have put out food for the bear in Boynton Canyon. As a result, this bear now associates people with food and is coming closer to visitors who hike the canyon.

Bears are well known to have keen memories and also a very high need for calories. As food supplies dwindle and the drought lingers, the bear is becoming more bold, resulting in several close encounters this past week. If this behavior continues there is a high likelihood that the bear will be euthanized. This is where the slogan “A Fed Bear is a Dead Bear” comes from. It is a very sad situation and we hope that by minimizing the stress on this bear, reducing encounters and giving it time to go higher in the forest, we can avoid this kind of decision by our Game and Fish Department.

Phoenix, Arizona
Destination Expert
for Phoenix
Level Contributor
6,400 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Bear in Boynton Canyon

That's incredibly sad! How stupid do you have to be to feed a wild bear?? Honestly, people who do that should be prosecuted. Hopefully the bear will move along. :(

"Don't feed the wild animals" applies just about everywhere. I've seen people hand feeding squirrels at the GC, right next to the sign that says "Don't feed the squirrels!" My favorite was the young lady who thought it would be a great idea to feed a mule deer her cheetos - and was shocked when I told her not to do so, and why. ::smh::

Sedona, AZ
Destination Expert
for Sedona, Arizona, Monument Valley
Level Contributor
57,049 posts
227 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Bear in Boynton Canyon

So sad.

Columbia, South...
Level Contributor
70 posts
328 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Bear in Boynton Canyon

The guide we used takes people up there - on that property to see the ruins of the Sinaguan Indians on the Boynton Canyon Trail and see the view from Rachel's Knoll. He is up there all the time. I believe that is where he has a medicine wheel for one of his tours. I hope he notices this warning. I believe this area was chosen because he was avoiding rangers, because he was not permitted to lead tours by the park service. I will message the author of the thread.

Houston, TX
Level Contributor
110 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Bear in Boynton Canyon

I thought they also move healthy bears to "other" more remote areas in cases such as these. Or at least bears that have no exhibited aggressive behaviors.

I hope that is the case. You would think that an adult would know better than to feed wild animals. It doesn't take a rocket scientist.

Sedona
Destination Expert
for Sedona
Level Contributor
3,273 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Bear in Boynton Canyon

Yes, it is sad.

Clio, Michigan
Level Contributor
185 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Bear in Boynton Canyon

Just returned from Sedona and while there we noticed a pack of javelinas in a subdivision being fed. The person feeding them was a local vet. She said they were only dangerous if you walked close to the babies.

England, United...
Level Contributor
1,170 posts
99 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Bear in Boynton Canyon

My favourite was the woman I saw whilst on holiday in Florida attempting to give a sandwich to an alligator , seriously! My hubby had to persuade her that an alligator can't tell the difference between sandwich and arm!

Phoenix, Arizona
Destination Expert
for Phoenix
Level Contributor
6,400 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Bear in Boynton Canyon

"She said they were only dangerous if you walked close to the babies."

Baloney! The javelina in Sedona can be rather aggressive, at any time. I've experienced it. And that woman wasn't a very good vet, if you ask me!

Re: the alligator thing, wow...

Columbia, South...
Level Contributor
70 posts
328 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Bear in Boynton Canyon

The Fish and Game Department in Florida Hire Alligator Hunters to Remove Alligators That Have Lost Their Fear of Humans. These Gators Jump Out of The Water At People. The Alligators Become Boots. We are Not Doing Wild Animals Favors By Feeding Them. They Don't Need To Become Dependant on Us For Food. They Need To Forage For Their Own Food. And, Our Food Is Not Good For Them (They GET FAT). Trying To Tame A Wild Animal Only Harms Them. They Lose Their Fear Of Us...Which Can Harm Them & Us. They Need To Be Afraid of Us. That Is How It Should Be. Beyond The Backyard Birdfeeder, Don't Feed The Animals!

Columbia, South...
Level Contributor
70 posts
328 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Bear in Boynton Canyon

Bear Encounters – What To Do?

Common Sense From www.Backpacker.com

• Stay off trails at night, in early morning, and in evening, when bears are actively feeding.

• Clap, sing, talk loudly, or make noise by clanging cups or pots, especially if you see fresh bear sign or are hiking on a trail with blind curves, near sound-covering streams, or in terrain where your vision is limited.

• Stay away from, or be especially alert when near, prime bear habitat like berry patches, avalanche chutes, and streams with fish.

• If you smell something dead or spot carrion birds like ravens and buzzards overhead, take another route. You may be about to encounter a carcass, or a bear guarding it.

• Set up your kitchen at least 100 yards downwind of your tent.

• Hang all food in sealed bags or use bear-proof canisters.

• Store all food at least 100 yards from your tent and kitchen.

• If you're in an area of heavy bear activity, it's a good idea to hang/store the clothes you cooked in 100 yards away too, as well. Do not sleep in the clothes you wore when cooking.

The link below is the source of these tips above, along with tips regarding the use of bear spray. There are pros and cons. Our “permitted” guide with the Teton Science School carried Bear Spray. We had an amazing tour with them.

backpacker.com/september_1999_nature_threats…

• Never get between a mother bear and her cubs.

• Stay calm and don’t run. Running elicits a predatory response and the bear may just run after you.

• Continue facing the bear and slowly back away.

• If you are with young children, pick them up off the ground.

• Speak loudly or yell and make loud noises with whatever is available.

• If attacked, fight back.

The Above Tips Came From This Link Below. (Be Safe).

sedonausa.com/sedona/…