We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Which Sedona hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
mn
Level Contributor
21 posts
1 review
Save Topic

My husband and I have never been to AZ. Thinking of flying in for a quick three night trip in June for our anniversary. Since we don't have alot of time wondering if we should spend all the time in Sedona? One night in Sedona and head to GCNP? Just GCNP? Any suggestions appreciated. Mostly looking to see beautiful scenery, a little hiking and a few dinners out.

THanks much!

Scottsdale, Arizona
Level Contributor
4,974 posts
Save Reply
11. Re: Newbie

The only thing I would change (depending on your time) is to take the detour on the 179, and then go as far up 89A as you can go on your way to the Grand Canyon. Then on your way back to Phoenix you can spend a little more time going back over 179 to places that most interest you.

Happy Trails!!!

Uden, The...
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
60,942 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Newbie

I'd head for GC as early as possible for Grand Canyon NP entering via its east entrance. First stop at desert View (take I17, us89 and az64). Spend the night and drive to Sedona on sunday leaving GC by its south entrance. Sedona to Phx only is a 2 hours drive that monday but you'll have to be at the a/p in time and deliver the car first.

Chicago
Destination Expert
for Pompano Beach
Level Contributor
4,208 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Newbie

I think you have to decide whether you want a sightseeing trip or a relaxing weekend in a particular location. Phoenix, Sedona and GC will all fit the bill but I think you need to see where you can find lodging, especially at GC. Pay particular attention to the mileage involved between stops.

Personally, I'd pick one destination and decide once you are there, whether a daytrip is desired.

Also allow plenty of time to get back to Phoenix. You can encounter lengthy delays on I-17, if an incident occurs on the highway.

Enjoy your weekend away from the cold north. I can't believe it is still snowing!

Scottsdale, Arizona
Level Contributor
4,974 posts
Save Reply
14. Re: Newbie

Bear in mind a day trip from your "headquarters" in GC is just as easy as a day trip to the GC from Sedona...only better.

Chicago
Destination Expert
for Pompano Beach
Level Contributor
4,208 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: Newbie

You'll find better dining options in Phoenix and equal hiking options without driving such great distances. Yes, you don't see that Grand Canyon, which really requires an overnight stay.

I do think the OP will be back to see Arizona again sometime for a longer stay perhaps.

Scottsdale, Arizona
Level Contributor
4,974 posts
Save Reply
16. Re: Newbie

No matter where our new friends from MN decide to stay, we all know they are only going to get a small taste of all that AZ has to offer. I'm willing to bet they will be planning their next trip to our beautiful state while they are on their plane ride home!

Happy Trails!!!

17. Re: Newbie

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 May 2015, 05:17