We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Preliminary Itinerary - Sedona Leg of Archaeology Trip

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
139 posts
14 reviews
Save Topic
Preliminary Itinerary - Sedona Leg of Archaeology Trip

Hi Everyone.

Many of you assisted me greatly on an earlier thread is piecing together what we wanted to do, so now I am back asking for more detailed advice.

I am starting to look at the day to day of our itinerary, and I’ve come up with a skeleton.

If folks had time, I would appreciate help filling it in, particularly with hike suggestions. I know that we will be unable to do the West Fork hike, and while I am disappointed because we really wanted to go there, I realize that I am just a visitor, and cannot begin to imagine how saddened residents are by the destruction caused by the fire. But outside of that area, I am unsure what will be off limits, as I am not familiar enough with the layout, so maybe folks can give me a “heads up” as well if something we would like to do looks impossible given the circumstances

Day One – Wednesday, June 18:

We will arrive mid-afternoon, and check into our rental in West Sedona, with groceries for the week. We would like to pick up a Red Rock Pass. We also need to call to make a 9:30 a.m. reservation at Palatki for the next day (should we call now?). We may just stay in for dinner, or if Wednesdays are less busy than other evenings, we may actually clean up and line up at Elote Café. But if we are too tired from our drive, we may just eat in and go for a pre-sunset stroll. Any suggestions on trails/strolls (nothing hard core) in the West Sedona area? Or stargazing perhaps?

Day Two – Thursday, June 19:

Breakfast in our rental, and head for Palatki and Honanki, with a picnic lunch in tow. Considering the slow drive in (we will be in a car, not a truck or SUV), and that we like to explore in an unrushed fashion, how long will this take if we make it to Palatki by 9:30 and move on to Honanki from there? I am pretty sure this is likely to be a most of the day operation. Any suggestions in the way of light hikes for afterwards? We will either do dinner at home base, or go out, maybe Simon’s Hot Dogs at the Oak Creek Brewery. Is the forest service road to these sites likely to be closed because of the fire? We can switch this whole day to our last full day, Tuesday the 24th, if need be.

Day Three – Friday, June 20:

Today, we would like to go out for breakfast, maybe Wildflower Bread Company, and perhaps go for an early morning hike (suggestions?) before heading for the V-Bar-V Petroglyphs Site, which is open on Fridays, and opens at 9:30. We would also like to visit Montezuma’s Castle and Montezuma’s Well on this day. I am thinking that maybe all of this might be done by 1 or 1:30 without rushing, unless I am totally off. If we wanted to just take a picnic lunch and go swimming, should we spend the afternoon at Red Rock Crossing?

Day Four – Saturday, June 21:

This looks like it will be Jerome Day. We will eat breakfast at home and go for an early morning hike (suggestions?), and plan to get to Jerome by 10:00 in the morning. In addition to other stuff, we would like to go to the Gold King Mine Ghost Town and look at stuff there, probably first, and then go out for lunch (best burger there? This will be a kid day, is why), and check out shops and mine shafts and what not before heading back. I’m a little skittish about heights, so I might not want to take the same road back from Jerome – thinking of looping around and coming back from another direction and having a look at Arcosanti in the process (without doing a tour, though, just want to have a look at the place – is that possible?).

Day Five – Sunday, June 22:

:( This was the day we were planning to go to West Fork, and we are looking for an alternate plan. Maybe Tuzigoot this day, after some hiking in the morning, and meeting my friend who lives in Clarkdale for dinner – restaurant suggestions over that way? Hikes in that area?

Day Six – Monday, June 23:

Hiking and/or swimming holes? Suggestions? We were thinking all meals in the rental and picnic lunches. Maybe this should be the Red Rock Crossing/swimming day instead? Or Maybe Slide Rock State Park (is it open? I was thinking it would be, since the fire started north of it, and perhaps it would be less crowded on a Monday than a Sunday, I was thinking, but I’m probably wrong)?

Day Seven – Tuesday, June 24:

Hiking and/or swimming holes? Suggestions? Window shopping? We were thinking breakfast in the rental, and picnic lunch, and dinner out, maybe Picazzo’s.

Day Eight – Wednesday, June 25:

Super early breakfast in the rental before a super early checkout – then we head to the Grand Canyon in order to have as much of our day there as possible.

Afterwards, we will spend 1 night at the Grand Canyon, 2 nights in Page (float tour, Antelope Canyon, swimming in Lake Powell), 2 nights in Chinle (Canyon de Chelly), and 3 nights in Flagstaff (Wupatki, Walnut Canyon, Lava River Cave, Museum of Northern Arizona, Two Guns).

Basically, I am looking for hiking, swimming hole, and star gazing suggestions to fill in the holes in our plan. We are not looking to over pack our days, but I don’t know how to distribute the hikes properly. My son is almost ten, and hikes a lot, but I would kind of like to restrict our hikes to 5 miles round trip or less (less if there are significant elevation gains). We are forgoing a Pink Jeep Tour this time for budget reasons (I needed to afford Chelly, which was a must do). Thanks for all your help.

Edited: 27 May 2014, 00:37
Mentioned in this post
Sedona
Sedona
Arizona
Red Rock Cafe
Red Rock Cafe
1,803 Reviews
Sedona, AZ
Elote Cafe
Elote Cafe
4,441 Reviews
Sedona, AZ
Honanki
Honanki
240 Reviews
Sedona, AZ
Oak Creek Brewery
Oak Creek Brewery
175 Reviews
Sedona, AZ
Wildflower Bread Company
Wildflower Bread Company
2,601 Reviews
Sedona, AZ
Jerome
Jerome
Arizona
Arcosanti
Arcosanti
202 Reviews
Mayer, AZ
Slide Rock State Park
Slide Rock State Park
1,984 Reviews
Sedona, AZ
Flagstaff
Flagstaff
Arizona
Lava River Cave
Lava River Cave
399 Reviews
Flagstaff, AZ
Museum of Northern Arizona
Museum of Northern...
468 Reviews
Flagstaff, AZ
Pink Jeep Tours Sedona
Pink Jeep Tours Sedona
7,956 Reviews
Sedona, AZ
Santa Fe, New Mexico
Destination Expert
for Santa Fe, Mesa Verde National Park, Boulder, New Mexico
Level Contributor
21,820 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Preliminary Itinerary - Sedona Leg of Archaeology Trip

Sounds like a great trip. Swimming holes are not that easy to find, but you will be at a big one when you stay in Page! Stargazing most places will be just outside your lodging. From Page to Canyon de Chelly, possibly stop at Navajo National Monument and maybe side trip up to see Monument Valley. When you leave Canyon de Chelly consider stopping at Hubbell Trading Post, drive the Hopi Mesa's and then down to Winslow for Homolovi Ruins. From there to Flagstaff is Two Guns.

Also near Flagstaff is Elden Pueblo …usda.gov/detail/…

Mentioned in this post
Flagstaff
Flagstaff
Arizona
Jerome, Arizona
Destination Expert
for Jerome
Level Contributor
234 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Preliminary Itinerary - Sedona Leg of Archaeology Trip

RE: your Jerome day. There is only one road up to and past town, and the "past" part is four times as long and curvy as the part you will have already done--so you should probably just retrace your steps to get back down. I would try the Mile High Grill for burgers at lunch. Since it is a Saturday, it will be quite busy in town. Your best bet for parking will probably be the large parking lot you'll see as you are heading out to the Gold King Mine. On weekends there is usually a free shuttle in from that parking lot into town if you don't feel like walking. After you do lunch and browse around town (kids that come to visit us generally enjoy the Nellie Bly Kaleidoscope store and the two rock shops), I would recommend the Douglas Mansion State Park (you will want to drive, so that's why I would recommend either starting or finishing your visit there). There is a short video about Jerome but what most people of all ages find fascinating are the two 3-D models of town that also show the underground mine shafts and ore bodies. They also have a very good geology room.

Mentioned in this post
Jerome
Jerome
Arizona
Douglas Mansion
Douglas Mansion
188 Reviews
Jerome, AZ
Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
139 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Preliminary Itinerary - Sedona Leg of Archaeology Trip

@CasaAzul - I'm skipping MV and Hopi Mesas and the Homolovi Ruins this time, because I don't want our pace to be too frantic, but I think the idea of going to Two Guns on our way to Flagstaff is great, because then I think we can make half a day of Elden Pueblo on either the last or the second to the last day. I know they have archaeology programs for school groups, but I need to call and see what kids programs they have over the summer, just in case they have something while we're there. My son will love it. Thank you.

@GhostTownTraveler - Tips that help me orient myself on a day trip like you gave are just the kinds of tips that help me out the most. Thank you. I cannot wait to go to Jerome.

Edited: 28 May 2014, 03:26
Mentioned in this post
Flagstaff
Flagstaff
Arizona
Jerome
Jerome
Arizona
Sedona
Destination Expert
for Sedona
Level Contributor
3,372 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Preliminary Itinerary - Sedona Leg of Archaeology Trip

Day three: for breakfast I like Coffee Pot better than Wildflower Bread Company. It's like home-cooking!

Camp Verde has a small archaeological museum, http://www.verdevalleyarchaeology.org/

Consider La Casita nearby for a Mexican lunch.

Day four: While the road you'll take to Jerome is curvy, it isn't that long, and you may decide you can take it back down.

If you think you can't, check the mileage to Arcosanti via Jerome. I think that's a long drive..

Another option would be to take 89 to Prescott and go by Courthouse Square and Whiskey Row or Watson Lake,

Day 5: For dinner Nic's in Cottonwood has good Italian food, especially lasagne!

Mentioned in this post
Coffee Pot Restaurant
Coffee Pot Restaurant
2,656 Reviews
Sedona, AZ
Wildflower Bread Company
Wildflower Bread Company
2,601 Reviews
Sedona, AZ
Jerome
Jerome
Arizona
Arcosanti
Arcosanti
202 Reviews
Mayer, AZ
Prescott
Prescott
Arizona
Whiskey Row
Whiskey Row
596 Reviews
Prescott, AZ
Watson Lake
Watson Lake
757 Reviews
Prescott, AZ
Sedona
Destination Expert
for Sedona
Level Contributor
3,372 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Preliminary Itinerary - Sedona Leg of Archaeology Trip

Just checked for events in Prescott, and there's a Bluegrass Festival at Courthouse Plaza 6/21-6/22 (free). There are also downtown walking tours led by docents. from 10-11:30. For info go to www.prescott.org.

Mentioned in this post
Prescott
Prescott
Arizona
Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
139 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Preliminary Itinerary - Sedona Leg of Archaeology Trip

Oh! Thanks so much for the restaurant suggestions as well as for the Bluegrass Festival information, which really sounds like a swell idea! All the best.

Sedona
Destination Expert
for Sedona
Level Contributor
3,372 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Preliminary Itinerary - Sedona Leg of Archaeology Trip

Just remembered that 89 from Jerome to Prescott is also a mountain road, but for longer. You might prefer to take I17 to the Prescott exit as your extra day, seeing Jerome Sunday. Hopefully GhosttownTraveler can tell you if the hours would work for your plans in Jerome Sunday.

Mentioned in this post
Jerome
Jerome
Arizona
Prescott
Prescott
Arizona
8. Re: Preliminary Itinerary - Sedona Leg of Archaeology Trip

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 02 June 2015, 05:15