We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Should we cancel our reservations for Sedona due to the fire

Annapolis, Maryland
Level Contributor
4 posts
74 reviews
Save Topic
Should we cancel our reservations for Sedona due to the fire

My husband and I will be visiting Sedona for the first time in about a week. We're staying in Boynton Canyon. Hoping to spend a lot of time outdoors hiking - pink jeep tour, etc. Should we cancel due to the fire in Slide Rock? How bad is the smoke in Sedona? From what I've seen on the web - it looks very smokey. We could always postpone to September...

Vancouver
Level Contributor
44 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Should we cancel our reservations for Sedona due to the fire

We arrived on Saturday and Each day has been a little different with respect to when the smoke clears in uptown Sedona but there is certainly a large amount of smoke coverage in the early morning and what I feel is unhealthy air quality. We certainly would not want to be hiking in the early part of the day. It gets better throughout the day. By noon we were hiking and enjoyed a full day thereafter. We chose not to cancel our trip but if had been very easy to postpone, I would have. If you are early morning people, you will be disappointed In my opinion.

Scottsdale, Arizona
Level Contributor
4,974 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Should we cancel our reservations for Sedona due to the fire

When exactly do you arrive? Our boys seem to be getting a hand on things, but that is no guarantee. Check the daily pollution index to see if you are comfortable with it. Bear in mind most of the worst pollution comes in during sleeping hours depleting your oxygen supply. Take the advice to avoid early day activities until you have resupplied your body with oxygen.

phoenixvis.net/PPMdata.aspx…

Annapolis, Maryland
Level Contributor
4 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Should we cancel our reservations for Sedona due to the fire

We arrive on Friday, 6 June. We can cancel hotel reservations up to 7 days in advance without losing the deposit. Might be a good idea to postpone to September just to be on the safe side. We are early morning people (from the East Coast :)), so we were hoping to avoid the heat of the day and do most hikes in the morning. We're so torn... I guess we'll give it two more days and then make our decision. Many thanks for your responses. Please keep us posted.

Portage, Michigan...
Level Contributor
80 posts
365 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Should we cancel our reservations for Sedona due to the fire

Hi, other than on here, how do I get up dates on the fire and road work? All I find on the net is like two days old. Help!! Will be in Sedona on June 17. Thank You!

London, United...
Level Contributor
17,178 posts
255 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Should we cancel our reservations for Sedona due to the fire

Kathy, you're going to give yourself a heart attack!

You can get information on the fire (updated twice daily) at http://inciweb.nwcg.gov/incident/3874/ Click on News for the latest.

And road closure information can be found at http://www.az511.gov/adot/files/

You're three weeks away from your trip. I suggest concentrating your efforts on the alternative attractions you were looking for (you might even find an alternative that becomes a first choice) and worry about road and park reopenings in a week or so. You've got some time to play with.

Portage, Michigan...
Level Contributor
80 posts
365 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Should we cancel our reservations for Sedona due to the fire

We are not cancelling anything! Now just looking for other things to see around Sedona. Will be there from June 17 - 19. Staying in hotel on 179. Planning on going to Montezuma Castle, Bell Rock, shopping at Tlaquepaque and maybe Cathedral Rock. Any other places you know of that are easy hikes would be helpful. We will are ready have been to Phoenix / Scottsdale and Grand Canyon . After Sedona it's on to Tucson for a long weekend with friends. Leaving on Monday June 23. Thanks for Any Help You Can Give.

Harleysville...
Destination Expert
for Fountain Hills
Level Contributor
5,044 posts
381 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Should we cancel our reservations for Sedona due to the fire

Hi Kathy,

Have you thought about doing a Pink Jeep Tour. The Broken Arrow one is the most popular and will take you to areas of Sedona that you cannot go on your own. It is also a route that is not affected by the fire.

If you are stay at a hotel on 179 than you are most likely in the Village of Oak Creek. Right there is Bell Rock and you can't miss it. You can walk part of that trail. It's next to Courthouse Butte and awesome to see both.

I also recommend going to Red Rock Crossing. Grab yourselves a couple of sandwiches and cold drinks and head to the park. It's a $9 entry fee. It's a beautiful park along the creek where you can swim, cross the rocks to the center and just sit and enjoy the views. This is where the iconic picture of Cathedral Rock is so you will have wonderful views. Walk along thru the short wooded are and arrive at Buddah Beach. A lovely area to soak in the views.

Portage, Michigan...
Level Contributor
80 posts
365 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Should we cancel our reservations for Sedona due to the fire

Thank you! Sounds great! We will differently do this :)

Sedona, AZ
Destination Expert
for Sedona, Arizona, Monument Valley
Level Contributor
58,233 posts
231 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Should we cancel our reservations for Sedona due to the fire

Don't cancel anything. The fire event is effectively over.

Annapolis, Maryland
Level Contributor
4 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Should we cancel our reservations for Sedona due to the fire

Great news.... We decided not to cancel. :)