We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Sedona, Lake Powell and Monument Valley

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
3 posts
134 reviews
Save Topic
Sedona, Lake Powell and Monument Valley

My husband and I are planning a trip to Sedona. Of course we want to take advantage of being in this stunning area by seeing a few different sights as mentioned in the subject. We will spend the first couple of days touring Sedona since this will be our base and I understand that it's not to be missed. My question is, while driving to these areas will there be any dramatic driving elevations. I am a NYC girl and when we went to Yosemite I thought I was going to give myself a heart attack driving across Tioga Pass and that wasn't bad enough we had the nerve to drive down the coast of California on Highway 1. So please tell me if there is any dramatic mountainous driving during this trip. Thank you in advance.

Sedona, AZ
Destination Expert
for Sedona, Arizona, Monument Valley
Level Contributor
58,840 posts
236 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Sedona, Lake Powell and Monument Valley

You will climb nearly 2,500 feet from Sedona up to the Mogollon rim and beyond. There is no scary or hazardous driving involved though. Certainly nothing like Tiogo Pass. You will have already gained 3,000 feet between Phoenix and Sedona.

You mention Sedona as your base. I hope you aren't planning to drive to Page or Monument Valley and back to Sedona as day trips.

Uden, The...
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
60,942 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Sedona, Lake Powell and Monument Valley

Piece of cake compared to hw1 and Tioga pass except for the road RedRox mentioned.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
3 posts
134 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Sedona, Lake Powell and Monument Valley

Thank you for your replies. RedRox, you said you hope Sedona is not our base. Should we just stay a night or two at each place? We thought since it's just about a 3 hour drive to either place from Sedona it made sense. But maybe not. Your thoughts please.

Sedona, AZ
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
58,840 posts
236 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Sedona, Lake Powell and Monument Valley

If you have three nights at Sedona, that's a good amount of time for Sedona. It's not enough time to add Page and Monument Valley. Those are seperate destinations and need over nights on their own. Page needs 2-3 nights like Sedona. Monument Valley needs at least one night.

If you only have three nights, stay in Sedona in the day times. You will need at least that many days there. You won't be bored and you won't run out of things to see and do. If you have more nights available book 2-3 at Page. It's possible to go to MV as a day trip from there, but sunset and sunrise are the best times and for that you need to stay at MV overnight.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
3 posts
134 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Sedona, Lake Powell and Monument Valley

Thank you so much for your help! We will take your advise. We had planned to use our timeshare in Sedona. We were going to spend a week and during that time would venture out to other places (Lake Powell & MV). Instead we will stay in Sedona for 3 days and make arrangements to for at least an overnight stay in the other areas. Sedona was also our base because it is only 2 hours from the Phoenix airport. Again, thank you so much for your help!

Sedona, AZ
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
58,840 posts
236 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Sedona, Lake Powell and Monument Valley

You'll enjoy the distant destinations more by staying over night there. Good decision. Book the View Hotel for Monument Valley RIGHT NOW. If it's full, try Gouldings Lodge. There is nothing else near the tribal park.

7. Re: Sedona, Lake Powell and Monument Valley

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 August 2015, 05:17