We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Sedona on a budget

Cincinnati, OH
2 posts
Save Topic
Sedona on a budget

My husband and I will be visiting Sedona soon and are on a tight budget. We are going to a friends wedding in Phoenix for two days (any suggestions on restaurants?). We then are going to go to Sedona and Grand Canyon. Need advice. Will stay in Sedona from Nov 14-17. We plan on taking one day to go up to Grand Canyon, but plan on driving back that night due to flight out of Phoenix on the 17th. So it will be 2 days in Sedona and 1 in Grand Canyon. Want advice on several things. First and most important: as mentioned, on TIGHT budget. Need decent place to stay in Sedona around $85-115 a night. I know this is cheap for how pricey Sedona is, but have found some on internet such as Best Western and Days Inn. Any recommendations or suggestions?

Second: want to go horseback riding--who has great sights/prices? what else should we do while there?

Third: restaurants--where should we eat?

Fourth: Grand Canyon--since we will only be able to spend one day (drive up early morning, leave late night) what are musts? trails, driving, look-outs, etc?

As much help would be appreciated, but remember we are on a budget (unfortunately!)

Thanks!!

Vancouver, B.C.
Level Contributor
15 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Sedona on a budget

Great choices - Sedona and Grand Canyon are 2 of our favourite Ariz. destinations when we drive our Jeep across country. As far as lodging in Sedona, I saw those internet specials and to be honest, when you see how upscale and pristine Sedona is, I can't imagine any of their hotels to be anything but the same! The best bet for recreation of any type is a trip to either of the two info centres located right in town. Good access to all activities and super advice. Now try to go on one of the Jeep tours(several in town, Pink Lady is quite popular), as you will get the best view up close and personnel within those gorgeous red rocks! You will love it. Grand Canyon in a day is fine, just get an early start and follow the South Rim route (North Rim is not accessible by vehicle this time of year anyways, and is a lot further away). Just spend the day stopping at each viewpoint - there are many- along the canyon, and try to stay for an incredible sunset view, anywhere along there. You will stop at one interesting spot with Anassazi ruins and a peek at the history of the area. Hiking usually requires more time and planning, but the trip there alone is worthwhile, keep eyes peeled for wild turkey off the sides of the road in the bush, and lots of free-roaming deer right in the town of Grand Canyon. Enjoy, this will be a trip to remember!

Sedona Arizona
Level Contributor
13 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Sedona on a budget

We have a new place in Sedona and offer accommdations in west Sedona. We have two studios both with full kitchen accommodations. Our vacation home is in a nice quiet neighborhood and offers a deck for viewing the red rocks. It is availabe during your stay and is within your budget. Please contact me if you are interested. We are listed in Sedona phone book under A Healing Massage and also on the Sedona Chamber site under Retreat and Heal. I would recommend Trail Horse adventures for you horse back riding which is located just five minutes from us. I have had good feedback from other clients on their adventures. Hope you have a wonderful trip. Sedona is a wonderful place to live and also to visit.

Toronto, ON
1 post
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Sedona on a budget

Check out Forest Houses in Sedona ($85-$115). I haven't been there yet (I've booked in March), but all of the reviews look great!

Port Angeles, WA
2 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Sedona on a budget

GREAT PRICE: We are also visiting Sedona after Thanksgiving and were looking for great accomodations at a good price. We logged on to Priceline.com and entered $60.00 for a four-star resort which was accepted. They booked us at that price at the Radisson Pcoc Diablo Resort which lists for $125.00. We can't wait to arrive and enjoy the resort and Sedona golf and beauty!!!

Level Contributor
2 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Sedona on a budget

We stayed at Harmony House, which consists of two recently updated suites. One is a two bedroom with kitchen, living room and bath and the other is a studio suite with eat in kitchen. Price for two bedroom at current rate of $99 per night has to be one of the best bargains in town. Location is a 1/2 mile off 89A in a quiet residential neighbor. Both suites are best suited for those who prefer the comforts of home versus a motel room.

Frederick, MD
Level Contributor
150 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Sedona on a budget

Unless your into the whole, "venturing down the canyon trail thing" which it doesn't sound like you'll have time to do, I found Sedona much more wonderful and enjoyable of a place than the Grand Canyon. I think your doing it right by staying 2 nights in Sedona and only 1 to see the hole in the ground. The Canyon is nothing more than a handful of overlooks to stop at. I HIGHLY recommend you save about $50-60 for the 2 of you to make reservations and have a meal at the EL Tovar Hotel restaurant at the Grand Canyon. Simply one of the best meals I've ever had anywhere on the planet. My family of 4 with beer/wine and dessert ate there for about $80-$90.

We didn't quite have time on our trip, but the Oak Creek Canyon area of Sedona was very stunning as well. We drove through it going from Sedona up to the Grand Canyon. I wish we had an extra day to have done some hikng around the Oak Creek area. The red-rock area and vortex hikes in Sedona were wonderful as well. Although very pricey we did a jeep tour while in Sedona that took us to some spectacular back country overlooks. I wish I had a mountain bike because the trails around Sedona looked great to bike on.

Petaluma, California
Level Contributor
1,157 posts
126 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Sedona on a budget

I lived in Sedona for 8 years. I recommend to everyone the Sky Ranch Lodge. It may be in your price range. You will have to check. Not staying at the Canyon is good - return to Sedona. I also think a meal at the El Tovar at the Canyon is good if you can swing it - but reservations a must.

Do a Pink Jeep (not Pink Lady as someone else said) tour. Worth every penny!

Food for good price- go to Hideaway for sure - it is a locals favorite hanging over Oak Creek. Coffee Pot is cheap. Be sure to go to Jerome for a morning or afteroon to visit this artsy community. Good priced restaurants there too.

Go to the Chamber -(not the tourist info center which is selling things) the Chamber is at the "Y". Anyway, they will have tons of brochures. For restaurant ideas and things to do and they will have tons of maps for you on hiking paths and the length and the difficulty. They are a wealth of info for free.

Have fun!!