We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hike maps and other questions

St. Louis MO
2 posts
Save Topic
Hike maps and other questions

Four out-of-shape 50+ year olds will be in Sedona for a week beginning Jan. 26. Are there maps/directions available of easy hikes in the area? Want to see beauty without overexerting.

Just read in another post that the Oak Creek area is colder than the rest of Sedona. We will be at the Fairfield Resort. Is that a colder area?

Is the bus trip to the Grand Canyon recommended over the train out of Williams? How do the jeep tours compare to the the Verde train?

Best 2-3 authentic Mexican restaurants in town? Don't want Taco Bell type stuff.

Sedona, AZ
Destination Expert
for Sedona
Level Contributor
1,491 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Hike maps and other questions

When you get into town your first stop should be the Sedona Chamber of Commere Visitor Center in Uptown Sedona. They can give you more detail about what I've stated below. (They will bive you a free map of the trails.)

Easy hikes:

1) Bell Rock Pathway and the Big Park Loops

2) Centennial Trail over by the high school.

3) Marges Draw ( a little more challenging) from the Schnebly Hill trail head.

Which Fairfield Resort?

Oh gosh, the train, jeep, and van tours are all so different. Frankly I would suggest the Van tour as they have the most flexibility for the Grand Canyon tours. If you are interested in a Sedona only tour the Jeep tours offer just that and there is a variety.

I can't say that we have an "authentic" mexican restaurant in town here. There is an authentic southwestern restaurant in town called Walt's Southwest Cuisine. Other than that I think it is all tex-mex. In Sedona we are just too far from the boarder. You may have more luck when you fly into Phoenix.

Mexican in Sedona:

El Ricon

Caso Rincon

Javalina Cantina

Maria's in the Village of Oak Creek

Spices - Even though it's mostly Italian, II've heard that their Mexican cusine is much better!

Tomale Mama's

But there is another one in West Sedona that I've never been to (Where the Pizza Hut used to be, all local will know where you mean.)

Good luck and have fun!

Sedona, AZ
Destination Expert
for Sedona, Arizona, Monument Valley
Level Contributor
58,233 posts
231 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Hike maps and other questions

Not much to add to MTB but a couple other restaurants. Oxaca in Uptown is popular and the most authentic Mexican food nearby is in Clarkdale at Su Casa. It's about a 1/2 hour drive but worth it. Great food and lower prices than Sedona.

Western PA
Level Contributor
730 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Hike maps and other questions

Unfortunately Tamale Mama's on Coffee Pot Road has closed. Sigh, we had planned to eat there on our recent trip, but discovered they were open (on Dec. 28) only for selling their furnishings etc. (Trip Report and reviews will be forthcoming......) They will still be available for catering, but have closed their restaurant. :-(

4. Re: Hike maps and other questions

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 23 August 2009, 15:19