We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Stagecoach 66 Motel? Good place to stay in Seligman?

Oxford, United...
Level Contributor
326 posts
115 reviews
Save Topic
Stagecoach 66 Motel? Good place to stay in Seligman?

In August, I'm travelling from the UK to the USA with my girlfriend. We're hiring a car and driving from Chicago to Los Angeles along Route 66.

We're looking for somewhere to stay in Seligman for one night. Someone recommended the Stagecoach 66 Motel. Is that a good place to stay?

Our criteria:

- Relatively low cost (maybe $60 for a room).

- A unique Route 66 experience.

Any suggestions/recommendations?

Thank you,

Will

14 replies to this topic
Cavan, Ireland
Level Contributor
66 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Stagecoach 66 Motel? Good place to stay in Seligman?

We stayed in Seligman last year in the Delux Inn. Cost ,$60 . There are a few motels in town but I think they are all of a standard.Very basic but an experience! Its a small town, we arrived at night so didnt really know what it was like.Actually it reminded me of rural Ireland in the 70s. Bad street lighting and not a lot of life to be seen. Bear in mind most diners close by 9pm. we just made it in time. My husband never slept all night as he felt the need to add extra security by wedging a chair to the door! He was convinced that there were motorbike gangs roaring around on their machines all night and we could be attacked at any time! My daughter and I slept like logs. Next morning he discovered that the noises in the night were the freight trains which pass nearby!! Did he feel sheepish? I dont think you are going to find luxury anywhere in this town but you will find extreme friendliness and an unforgettable experience. It is a blast from the past and Im going back again in July to do it all again. Yipee!

Oxford, United...
Level Contributor
326 posts
115 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Stagecoach 66 Motel? Good place to stay in Seligman?

Thanks meezygo, that's really useful information and I enjoyed reading about your experiences in Seligman! Delux Inn looks perfect for our needs.

West Yellowstone...
Destination Expert
for Flagstaff, West Yellowstone
Level Contributor
2,304 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Stagecoach 66 Motel? Good place to stay in Seligman?

Great story! Thanks for sharing.

Santa Fe, New Mexico
Level Contributor
65 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Stagecoach 66 Motel? Good place to stay in Seligman?

Everything in Seligman is cast at taking you back to "the day". Ask if they have a Magic Fingers bed on offer !!! Carracar

tucson az
Destination Expert
for Tucson, Arizona, Northern Mexico
Level Contributor
16,276 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Stagecoach 66 Motel? Good place to stay in Seligman?

I hope you plan to visit the Grand Canyon and other attractions along the route. It would be a pity to do all that driving and not see the spectacular natural attractions of our country. The Grand Canyon is not a "drive by;" you have to spend time there to appreciate it, at least a day. It's really best if you can stay overnight.

The Grand Canyon is a little over an hour from R66. Sedona is about 45 minutes, and another place worthy of time. Less than an hour north of Flagstaff are Wupatki (prehistoric native pueblo) and Sunset Crater (extinct volcano) National Monuments.

Before Holbrook you will pass by the Petrified Forest NP which is just off the interstate.

May I ask what inspires you to drive R66 from Chicago to Los Angeles? Is this promoted in the UK? We do get many inquiries here about R66.

Oxford, United...
Level Contributor
326 posts
115 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Stagecoach 66 Motel? Good place to stay in Seligman?

Hi Bob,

I'm a big fan of American sport and culture; I am obsessed with the sport of basketball and I find American history and culture fascinating. Thankfully, my girlfriend shares some of my interests. We were planning a US holiday but couldn't decide upon a location (we've already done Boston, New York and Los Angeles).

We soon realised that a 5-night trip to somewhere like Chicago would end up costing us about $4,500 including flights and accommodation. That didn't sound like great value for money. Also, we want to see as much of the USA as possible. Therefore, Route 66 seemed like a sensible solution! It will cost us a lot of money (maybe $8,000 in total) but instead of lasting just 5 days our holiday will be 20 days in total.

Most people in the UK are aware of Route 66.

Here is our route:

Day 1 London to Chicago

Day 2 Chicago (explore)

Day 3 Chicago (explore)

Day 4 Chicago to Springfield IL (200 m)

Day 5 Springfield IL to St. Louis MO (165 m)

Day 6 St. Louis to Springfield MO (200 m)

Day 7 Springfield MO to Tulsa OK (210 m)

Day 8 Tulsa to Oklahoma City (125 m)

Day 9 Oklahoma City to Shamrock TX (166 m)

Day 10 Shamrock to Tucumcari NM (204 m)

Day 11 Tucumcari to Santa Rosa then Santa Fe NM (175 m)

Day 12 Santa Fe to Albuquerque NM (60 m)

Day 13 Albuquerque to Holbrook AZ (230 m)

Day 14 Holbrook to Grand Canyon National Park (169 m)

Day 15 Grand Canyon National Park to Seligman AZ (102 m)

Day 16 Seligman to Needles CA then Las Vegas (273 m)

Day 17 Las Vegas (explore)

Day 18 Las Vegas to Needles CA then Barstow CA (258 m)

Day 19 Barstow to Santa Monica to Laguna Beach (193 m)

Day 20 Laguna Beach (explore)

Day 21 Laguna Beach to Los Angeles (51 m)

(I'm a big fan of Laguna Beach - I stayed there in 2007 and want my girlfriend to experience it too).

As you will see above, we do plan to spend a night in the Grand Canyon National Park.

If you have any further advice/comments/suggestions, please let us know! We really appreciate it.

Thanks,

Will

Edited: 10 June 2012, 20:00
Santa Fe, New Mexico
Level Contributor
65 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Stagecoach 66 Motel? Good place to stay in Seligman?

I'll suggest Kingman on the "Old 66 to Oatman... then on to Las Vegas... Needles is a HOT & needless ...pit... carracar

Santa Fe, New Mexico
Destination Expert
for Santa Fe, Mesa Verde National Park, Boulder, New Mexico
Level Contributor
21,286 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Stagecoach 66 Motel? Good place to stay in Seligman?

This road trip seems to have too many days in the midwest and not enough in the SW and West. Plus seems not enough time in places that need at least a full day. You can easily drive more than 200 miles a day on the interstate highways. A week in the muggy midwest will be a few days too much! Head west to the high desert, mountains and beach!

Day 1 London to Chicago

Day 2 Chicago (explore)

Day 3 Chicago (explore)

Day 4 Chicago to St Louis Mo

Day 5 St. Louis MO Plenty to see and do in St Louis. National Expansion Memorial (Arch), Forest Park, etc.

Day 6 St. Louis day to Tulsa

Day 7 Tulsa to Shamrock TX

Day 8 Shamrock TX to Tucumcari

Day 9 To Santa Fe

Day 10 Santa Fe in morning, have lunch then off to Albuquerque

Day 11 Abq to Holbrook. Stop in Gallup for lunch at Earl's and a visit to Richardson's Pawn downtown

Day 12 Drive through Petrified Forest NP and then lunch at Winslow AZ at La Posada Hotel. See Standin' on the Corner Park (from an Eagles song) After Winslow there is a turn off to Two Guns, ruins of a Rt 66 zoo/attraction. Also Meteor Crater is nearby. Stay in Flagstaff or on to Grand Canyon for the night.

Day 13 Grand Canyon day. This amazing National Park deserves some time and well worth spending a full day.

Day 14 GC to Seligman and possibly to Kingman. Stop at Grand Canyon Caverns.

Day 15 To Vegas

Day 16 Vegas.

Day 17 Las Vegas to San Bernadino and the Wigwam Motel there. www.wigwammotel.com/ Barstow is really not a great stop, have an In N Out Burger and drive on to LA area. There are other older style motels in the LA area.

Day 18 To Santa Monica to the end of the Pier, the end of Rt 66!! Enjoy the day on the beach, maybe see some of Hollywood, La Brea Tar Pits, Hollywood Sign, Bev Hills.

Day 19 Laguna. Relaxing time on the beach after a long road trip!

Day 20 Laguna Beach

Day 21 LAX to depart

Oxford, United...
Level Contributor
326 posts
115 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Stagecoach 66 Motel? Good place to stay in Seligman?

"You can easily drive more than 200 miles a day on the interstate highways"

Ahh, but doesn't that defeat the purpose of driving Route 66? It seems like cheating!

Thanks for the suggested amendments to our trip. I will certainly consider them. I take on board what you're saying about spending too much time in the Midwest. However, I have already been to Los Angeles twice before, so I'm happy to spend a bit more time in places I've not been to before.

I agree that it would make sense to spend a bit more time at the Grand Canyon. I might sacrifice one of the nights in Vegas for an extra night at the Grand Canyon National Park.

Santa Fe, New Mexico
Destination Expert
for Santa Fe, Mesa Verde National Park, Boulder, New Mexico
Level Contributor
21,286 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Stagecoach 66 Motel? Good place to stay in Seligman?

A lot of Rt 66 has been covered by the interstates.

Reply to: Stagecoach 66 Motel? Good place to stay in Seligman?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Seligman