We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Original Stretch of HY 66

Blair, Nebraska
Level Contributor
76 posts
22 reviews
Save Topic
Original Stretch of HY 66

A recent tour bus stop at Seligman rekindled my interest in Hy 66 from the 50's. I realize that Seligman has been especially restored to cater to buffs like me. We plan on returning to Northern AZ for several things, including more time for 66. Is the trip worthwhile to get on the original stretch at Ash Fork and take it to Kingman? I realize there are not many towns but are there some remnants of old motor courts, gas stations, diners, etc.? Things from out of the 50's?

Thank you.

6 replies to this topic
Uden, The...
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
60,942 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Original Stretch of HY 66

Hi

R66 buffs should drive via Ash Fork indeed but most things to see are at Seligman and Hackberry on the way to Kingman. Kingman has an R66 museum/visitor center but best stretch of R66 left is between Kingman and Topock via Oatman.

Blair, Nebraska
Level Contributor
76 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Original Stretch of HY 66

Exactly the kind of info I was looking for!

Thanks much!

Marina, California
Destination Expert
for Tucson
Level Contributor
6,231 posts
100 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Original Stretch of HY 66

That stretch through Oatman is really one of the better sections of the original route.

If you're not already going there, I think Williams, Flagstaff, Winslow and Holbrook are all excellent for Route 66 architecture, signs and general atmosphere. Flagstaff has a number of the old motor courts, most of which are in disrepair, and there are a number of cafes along the road in Downtown (very nice Downtown area).

Uden, The...
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
60,942 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Original Stretch of HY 66

Joe & Aggies in Holbrook, La Posada in Winslow, Delgadillo's snow cap and Road Kill cafe in Seligman and Mr. D'z in Kingman for food and drinks.. WigWam motel Holbrook is worth seeing also. One of the 3 left in the USA (2 on R66, last one in Kentucky) and there, for the real buffs, are Jack Rabbitt TP, Joseph City, Two Guns and Twin arrows....

Blair, Nebraska
Level Contributor
76 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Original Stretch of HY 66

Thanks colinaz and Tel14. Very good info. We'd planned on making Flagstaff our HQ. I spent a summer there in the 50's and loved it. And 66. Appreciate the individual establishment recommendations too. Met "Angel" on our bus tour stop in Sel. Thanks again!

Santa Fe, New Mexico
Destination Expert
for Santa Fe, Mesa Verde National Park, Boulder, New Mexico
Level Contributor
21,224 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Original Stretch of HY 66

East of Flagstaff is Two Guns just off the interstate. Some old buildings still visible. and some older buildings near Meteor Crater. www.theroadwanderer.net/RT66trading.htm

Edited: 03 April 2014, 01:13
Reply to: Original Stretch of HY 66
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted