We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Havasu Falls

Uppsala, Sweden
Level Contributor
148 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
Havasu Falls

Hello, how long is the hike down to Havasu Falls from the car park?

I am a fit hiker and I was thinking of driving from Las Vegas in the morning (early morning) ...would it be too tight?

Thanks

Hike

Tempe, AZ
Level Contributor
10,533 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Havasu Falls

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g143028-i157-k3139…

Phoenix, Arizona
Destination Expert
for Phoenix
Level Contributor
6,478 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Havasu Falls

The short answer is no, it's not possible to drive from Las Vegas, hike to Havasu Falls, hike back out, and then drive back to Las Vegas in one day, assuming that's what you're wanting to do.

The long answer is, well, read the link that BoxingJohn posted, and also read the Top Questions in the Grand Canyon forum. A trip to Havasupai requires some planning, including getting a permit and an overnight reservation.

Phoenix, Arizona
Destination Expert
for Phoenix
Level Contributor
6,478 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Havasu Falls

Or, you could just read the replies in your other thread:

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g143028-i157-k5996…

Salt Lake City, Utah
Destination Expert
for Utah
Level Contributor
15,871 posts
147 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Havasu Falls

It is an 10 mile hike. It took my boys 3 hrs to the village (8 miles). Hard to say from the village to the falls as we stopped and played at the New Falls, and they went my speed.

Uppsala, Sweden
Level Contributor
148 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Havasu Falls

I'd drive from Las Vegas early morning and hike down in the early afternoon in May. Staying at the bottom at the lodge/campground overnight..

Santa Fe, New Mexico
Level Contributor
6,704 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Havasu Falls

Make that a EARLY start from Vegas...You will be hiking during the hottest part of the day Carry a gallon of water and leave nothing in the car at the isolated trail head, parking area ...carracar

Ann Arbor, Michigan
Destination Expert
for Grand Canyon National Park
Level Contributor
7,523 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Havasu Falls

May's a popular month for the Havasu hike, so make sure you have reservations. There are no other options other than the lodge or campground in Supai.

Depending on the weather, you might want to make it later in the afternoon than earlier. Statistics say average max temps at Supai are in the 90's in May. I see you're from Sweden -- I'm not sure if you have any dessert hiking experience but dessert heat is something to be taken seriously. Treat it like high atltitude hiking; it's not about being physically fit. If it's a warm day, take a headlamp and calculate back from sunset and allocate 3.5 hours for the hike. Manage your water carefully.

tucson az
Destination Expert
for Tucson, Arizona, Northern Mexico
Level Contributor
16,148 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Havasu Falls

Most people hiking down to Supai stay somewhere in the area for one night, and arrive at the hilltop parking before sunrise so that they are hiking down at the coolest part of the day.

Tempe, AZ
Level Contributor
10,533 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Havasu Falls

I am going at the end of May, and the lodge is fully booked. Reservations begin 12 months ahead of time.

10. Re: Havasu Falls

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11 January 2014, 06:17
Get answers to your questions about Supai