We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Where's the best golf?

Boston
Level Contributor
117 posts
29 reviews
Save Topic
Where's the best golf?

I am staying at Tempe Marriott in mid March. Looking to go out golfing a couple of days. Where are some good courses that are close by?

Sedona, AZ
Destination Expert
for Sedona, Arizona, Monument Valley
Level Contributor
60,149 posts
243 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Where's the best golf?

There are over 200 courses in the valley, so you have lots to choose from. The ASU course in Tempe is popular. But maybe you should tell us more about your game, skill level, handicap, budget etc...

Boston
Level Contributor
117 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Where's the best golf?

I am a mid handicap golfer. I would be looking for a mid priced course, willing to pay extra for something really nice.

Mesa, Arizona
Destination Expert
for Tempe
Level Contributor
2,037 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Where's the best golf?

Take a look at the Rolling Hills Tempe municipal course near the Phoenix Zoo.

http://www.tempe.gov/golf/

There's a nine hole course on Southern-

http://www.shalimarcountryclub.com/

I'm not a golfer so I can just tell you where they are, not anything about them!

Sedona, AZ
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
60,149 posts
243 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Where's the best golf?

You'll be coming to the valley at the busiest and priciest time of year. If you can be flexible and don't have any preferences, you'll probably find the best deals and opportunities after you arrive. Try Stand By Golf http://www.standbygolf.com/ or look in the local paper (AZ Republic) in the sports section when you get here. And of course your concierge at the Marriott can probably help too.

Scottsdale, Arizona
Destination Expert
for Scottsdale
Level Contributor
2,462 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Where's the best golf?

I agree with RedRox on getting some last minute tee times. I like http://www.golfnow.com/. Research the courses before you get here so you'll know where you'd like to play. Courses in the east part of the valley (Scottsdale, Mesa, Tempe, Chandler) will allow you to avoid traffic issues. Lots and lots of options!

Boston
Level Contributor
117 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Where's the best golf?

Thanks for all the great advice everybody. I've just started researching the courses in the area. There are quite a few of them!!! Can anybody recommend any specific courses? It looks like we will only be getting in 2 golf days, so I want to make them count. Thanks again.

Sedona, AZ
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
60,149 posts
243 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Where's the best golf?

Since you're doing research, how about if you tell us what you think appeals to you, and then we can give you feedback about those courses.

But if you want a short list to start with, my favorite courses in the PHX area include Troon North, Grayhawk and We-Ko-Pa. And yes, there are multiple courses at those places.

Boston
Level Contributor
117 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Where's the best golf?

I've begun my search for courses in the Tempe area. I never realized there were so many! I am really looking for a couple of courses that are the most scenic, and a little challenging, but not too difficult. I'm not a great golfer, usually score in the 95-100 range. My friends score a little better than I do, 85-90 range. I've found 2 courses that interest me. Camelback and Eagle Mountain. Has anybody played these courses? Would they fit what I'm looking for? Any other course suggestions? I'm not looking to travel too far from Tempe. These are both 20-30 minute drives.

Thanks.

Sedona, AZ
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
60,149 posts
243 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Where's the best golf?

Eagle Mtn is an excellent choice. MrsRedPony and I both enjoyed the course very much. And they often run price break events.

Boston
Level Contributor
117 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Where's the best golf?

What about Gold Canyon? Supposedly #1 rated public course in Arizona. Looking at the Dinosaur Mountain course, which appears to be fairly narrow and difficult. I'm not a great golfer. Would this be too tough a course for me? Anybody out there played this course?