We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What is Tempe like? What do you think about UAT?

Seattle, Washington
13 posts
Save Topic
What is Tempe like? What do you think about UAT?

Hi all,

Well my question isn't exactly "trip" related, but hopefully some of you can help me out. I live in Europe and I am considering going to school in Tempe, at UAT. Other than "it is very sunny", I haven't heard very much about what it's like to live in Tempe. I did some college in Southern Indiana a while back, and as I'm sure anyone that has been there before can imagine - it really sucked. I don't want to set myself up for disappointment again this time round, so I'm trying to learn as much as I possibly can first...

Perhaps someone could tell me what it's like to live in Tempe from a "21-year-old"'s view... I like to party (doesn't everyone?) - what's the party scene like? What are the ladies like? Are people generally friendly? What is there to do in Tempe?? And if anyone here actually goes to UAT - what is it like?

Any input would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

London, United...
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
56,166 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: What is Tempe like? What do you think about UAT?

Olly, where are you in Europe? It's a big place, and I'm ++++ curious.

The university in Tempe is Arizona State University, or ASU (sorry). Physically, it's big and spread out, flat, and not terribly attractive in an architectural sense (except for Grady Gammage auditorium). And - here's what you wanted to know - it's a party school if you want it to be. Tempe is loaded with places to go and drink inexpensively, eat good Mexican food, and hang with your pals.

As to what else there is to do in Tempe - I'll let someone else answer that - if I tell you, I'll be showing my age. And as for friendly...pretty friendly, I think.

Not too much information, but a start!

Seattle, Washington
13 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: What is Tempe like? What do you think about UAT?

I know about ASU, but that's not where I'm planning on going... UAT stands for University of Advancing Technologies, and it's supposed to be a very good computer school. I'm nervous that you haven't heard of it :/ But I'm glad to hear that there are things to do, places to go to, and the people are friendly and Tempe!

London, United...
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
56,166 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: What is Tempe like? What do you think about UAT?

Sorry - my bad. And you're very polite to tell me in such a nice way!

If you do go, you might need to get a car or other private transport, since bus service in all of the Phoenix area is minimal - certainly not like Europe. I've seen better service in Helsinki and Reykjavik than Phoenix.

Hope you get there, if that's your wish.

East Lansing...
Level Contributor
2 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: What is Tempe like? What do you think about UAT?

Hi Olly. My 21-year old son, Matt, is currently in Tempe, although he attends ASU, so I am unfamiliar with UAT. First of all, please understand that Tempe is more than sunny -- it's downright hot. The day we moved Matt into his dorm room, it was 118 degrees fahrenheit, the end of August. It's a very dry heat, so you must be careful to keep well hydrated -- carry water with you wherever you go. That being said, in March the temperature is lovely (60-70 degrees F) for those of us who live in the bleak wintry north.

Matt has enjoyed Tempe. He has been able to get around fine without a car for 4 years now, mostly either walking or taking the bus. There is a thriving downtown, that is within walking distance of most of Tempe. Because it's a college town, most of the activities cater to young people. There is a fair amount of drinking, of course, and also a great musical scene -- of all kinds of music. Activism is big in the area, from conservation efforts to helping others less fortunate than oneself. If you are even half-way interested in baseball, it's the place to be with games played year-round at college, semi-pro or pro levels. The area has some great restaurants, not all of which are exorbitantly priced; some of the best are Mom and Pop shops. (Harlow's for breakfast is a must! particularly after a night of drinking.)

WA
2 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: What is Tempe like? What do you think about UAT?

I'm sorry that I don't know UAT. However, we have a house in Tempe and a senior at ASU. She fell in love with the feel of the town the first time she saw it. She has spent 4 years, happily there all year round...heat notwithstanding. I have to say that the "ladies" we have met are among the most beautiful I've seen anywhere and, do to the heat, they don't wear very much either! She has found most everyone to be very friendly.

If you love to party you can always find one.The night life is great..there's always something to celebrate in Tempe and/or Scottsdale. Drinks and dancing at neighborhood bars or fancier clubs. Cabs and buses are available. Restaurants of every sort, and in every price range, are fairly close at hand. Pro, and collegiate, (baseball, basketball, football) sporting events abound. Theater and concerts at Grammage Hall are available. If you golf you may be in heaven...although it can be pricey.

Hope this helps,

san francisco
Level Contributor
123 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: What is Tempe like? What do you think about UAT?

Not familiar with UAT, but ASU has, without a doubt, the highest concentration of georgeous women in the United States.

Phoenix, Arizona
1 post
Save Reply
7. Re: What is Tempe like? What do you think about UAT?

We are also headed out to Tempe to take a look at UAT for my 18 year old son, interested in Computer Animation. Since it is such a specialized school, I think only people very interested in computers/computar art and video game technology would know about it...... The good news is that Tempe is a college town so to speak, not because of UAT, but because of ASU - but they are close to one another and that means more students overall.....

Check the UAT website to talk/email with students who already go there!

Good luck!

Tempe, AZ
1 post
Save Reply
8. Re: What is Tempe like? What do you think about UAT?

Hi Olly,

I am from San Francisco CA, and my husband and I moved here for his job and so he could go to UAT. It is a good school- however, it is very expensive and the administration/faculty are incompetent to say the least. He could have graduated 2 semesters ago, but they never seem to offer any upper level classes when he needs them. Look around- I know there are better schools.

About Tempe....Well, we are only 26 but the ASU scene is just that- a bunch of frat boys and jocks. I avoid that crowd like the plague. There are some nice things about tempe and the weather is great compared to SF and Europe, but as far as culture and liberal politics goes- it's lacking. Sorry about my slightly negative veiw, but I hope this helps.

Oro VAlley Arizona
Level Contributor
280 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: What is Tempe like? What do you think about UAT?

A poster mentioned liberal politics. Depending for some that would be a plus. Arizona in general is not really considered a liberal state in my opinion, however I do see a big acceptance of individual views and lifestyles. So this suits me fine. I am an independent voter tending towards being conservative but am not far right.

arizona
9 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: What is Tempe like? What do you think about UAT?

Tempe will be more liberal than other AZ towns I think. Compared to San Fransisco, almost everywhere else will seem conservative! ;) But yes, AZ in general is a conservative state although I think it's shifting a bit with more and more people coming from other parts of the country.

I went to ASU several years ago. It was a fun place and a good school too if you concentrate on your studies. Life is what you make of it.

I have heard of UAT, but don't know much about it. Coming from the Midwest where there are lots of excellent private colleges, the private colleges here seem lacking to me. Too "strip mall-ish" for my taste I suppose.

You should be able to get around Tempe fairly well without a car. I used to leave my car at home when I was in school because the bus stop was closer to my classes than the parking lot. A lot of students have bikes too.

And yes, it's very hot in the summer. You'll get used to it though.

Get answers to your questions about Tempe