We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Suggestions for 6 day itinerary around Phoenix

Florida
Level Contributor
5 posts
68 reviews
Save Topic
Suggestions for 6 day itinerary around Phoenix

We have never been to Arizona except for one day-trip to Grand Canyon from Las Vegas 34 years ago. We will be attending football game in Tempe November 8 and would like to spend the next week exploring the area. We will have a car and don't mind 3-4 hour drive in any direction but spouse doesn't necessarily want to go back to GC unless we see other places along the way.

Is it doable to drive down to Tuscon for a couple of days then up to Flagstaff for a couple more? Would you recommend a tour instead? Any ideas appreciated. We are interested in learning about the area, culture, attractions, etc. We will have to be back in Phoenix area Friday to catch afternoon flight out.

Scottsdale, Arizona
Level Contributor
662 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Suggestions for 6 day itinerary around Phoenix

Have you been to Sedona? It's definitely the jewel of Arizona and I would pick it over Flag and Tucson.

Sedona, AZ
Destination Expert
for Sedona, Arizona, Monument Valley
Level Contributor
59,787 posts
243 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Suggestions for 6 day itinerary around Phoenix

Feasible yes. Practical and most desirable...maybe.

Agreeing that after the Grand Canyon, Sedona is the next best place to visit in AZ. The state is huge, and very diverse in terms of elevations and environments. But with just a week, I'd head for Sedona (3 nights) Grand Canyon National Park (1-2 nights) and possibly Page (1-2 nights). Substitute Flagstaff for Page as an option.

www.visitsedona.com

www.visitpageaz.com

http://www.nps.gov/grca/index.htm

Book your GC lodging first, as it will be the toughest to get. www.grandcanyonlodges.com

greeley, CO
Level Contributor
2,702 posts
464 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Suggestions for 6 day itinerary around Phoenix

Yes, it is possible to do Tucson and Flagstaff for a couple of days. In Flagstaff I like to visit the Lowell observatory and the Museum of Northern Arizona. Also nearby are Walnut Canyon and Sunset Crater/Wupatki National Monument. A little farther are Painted Desert/Petrified Forest and Meteor Crater.

In the Verde Valley there is Jerome. The Verde Valley a Railroad is a nice train ride.

I have always thought Sedona was overrated.

Florida
Level Contributor
5 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Suggestions for 6 day itinerary around Phoenix

Thanks so much for all the suggestions! We will definitely look at Sedona and maybe Sunset CraterWupatki National Monument. I'll check how far Painted Desert/Petrified Forest is. Going to library today to check out some travel books and have requested travel guides from several cities. From looking online it seems early/mid November temps will be fair days and coolish nights with low chance of rain - so light jackets and layers?

Phoenix, Arizona
Level Contributor
2,992 posts
148 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Suggestions for 6 day itinerary around Phoenix

I live in Phoenix and in my opinion 6 days is 5 to many especially if you have seen the Canyon. My suggestion would be to rent a car and drive over to Los Angeles or San Diego. More to see, more to do.

6. Re: Suggestions for 6 day itinerary around Phoenix

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 13 August 2015, 00:15