We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

True drive time from SJO

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
122 posts
12 reviews
Save Topic
True drive time from SJO

It seems like most of threads on here say that the drive time from the San Jose airport to Dominical is about 3 hours. However, I have a good friend who drove from there to Quepos last year and swears it took like 5 hours and was terrible. Is three hours REALLY three hours, or is that just something these transfer companies are throwing out there to make it sound not as bad as it really is? Also, is it a pretty straight shot? One person gets a little carsick. We are a party of six so it would be a lot cheaper to hire a private transfer via car rather than fly, but will do it if it truly makes a huge difference.

3 replies to this topic
Chicago, Illinois
Destination Expert
for Costa Rica
Level Contributor
10,869 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: True drive time from SJO

It's a 2.5-3 hour drive to Quepos, depending on traffic and another 45 minutes to Dominical. It's a scenic drive but not twisty mountains unless you take the Pan Am Hwy route thru the mountains. Most folks would take the coastal route toward Quepos/Manuel Antonio. The bypass just north of Quepos takes you to the east of Quepos & then a straight shot south to Dominical. If it yook 5 hours there was probably a traffic accident or she took the long way round.

nebraska
Level Contributor
1,260 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: True drive time from SJO

It takes us 4 hours to get from the airport to Uvita but we have a bathroom break around Playa Herradura..

Ontario, Canada
Level Contributor
9,165 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: True drive time from SJO

Interbus posts ETT (estimated travel time) from SJ to Manuel Antonio as 4:30 hrs, and Dominical is more South, I.e. farther. We did the above route in about 3.5-4 hrs. https://www.interbusonline.com/rates.php

Traffic near the SJO is crazy, you can waste quite a bit of time trying to merge and just to get out of there.

So I would say 3 hrs is not enough for you.

Edited: 06 October 2017, 22:25
Reply to: True drive time from SJO
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted