We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Caribbean or Pacific

Which Dominical hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
London England
10 posts
Save Topic
Caribbean or Pacific

which side is the best, weather wise,in the Month of August.. Caribbean of Pacific?

And is there an ideal resort with your choice for me to plan a honeymoon.

Your advice (to those experienced Costa Rican travellers) would be very welcome.

The Bakery
Level Contributor
9,526 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Caribbean or Pacific

August is the heart of the rainy season on both sides. I think the Pacific Coast has more to offer and we loved Dominical/Ballena area. You can get to Drakes Bay for a few days at a lodge, or take a LONG day trip there, go to Cano Island, fish, surf and just enjoy the laid back life.

The Caribbean coast is less developed, but has some nice lodges. We ran out of time and didn't get there, but I'm sure you'll hear from the Caribbean side folks.

Playa Hermosa...
Destination Expert
for Manuel Antonio National Park, Jaco
Level Contributor
1,403 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Caribbean or Pacific

Here's a good website to give you an idea of rainfall totals throughout Costa Rica.

http://www.costarica.com/Home/Weather/Temperature_Rainfall,_%7Damp;_Humidity

The height of rainy season on the Pacific Coast is October. Caribbean side is December (ish) and July (as per the site I'm recommending.) You might consider what you're activities will be and your vacation style in addition to the weather in making a determination on which coast. Additionally, consider what you expect in an "ideal resort", beachfront, mountains, amenities etc. By doing so, you can make a better determination on what is best for you. Congratulations on your upcoming wedding! Please repost if you'd like more help. Lisa in Manuel Antonio

London England
10 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Caribbean or Pacific

Thanks, I am probably looking at the caribbean side as it seems drier in august. I am looking at the best beach basically and will try and book a hotel/resort around that. Any ideas? thanks for your replies!

Woody.

Puerto Viejo de...
Level Contributor
4 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Caribbean or Pacific

Hi there no resorts on the Caribbean side (fine by me!). There are some real cool hotels on that coast though. Look up greencoast.com and look at places. It is very nice on the beaches and August would be good time to go there (I hope) Depends on Hurricane season though

Get answers to your questions about Dominical