We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

san jose airport to dominical before dark in December

opelika alabama
Level Contributor
15 posts
45 reviews
Save Topic
san jose airport to dominical before dark in December

We arrive san jose at 12:45pm if no problems...will pick up a rental car and drive to Dominical. Will take the costal route via the toll road??....as I have read is the fastest route. Just want to be sure we can arrive before dark as this is our first trip to Costa Rica and not sure of the area. Any advice would be appreciated as to the best route to take....thanks in advance...Anna

Hacienda Baru
Nature & Wildlife Areas, Zipline & Aerial Adventure Parks
Parque Reptilandia
Nature & Wildlife Areas
Costa Rica
Level Contributor
25,654 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: san jose airport to dominical before dark in December

Hi Anna -

No problem getting to Dominical before dark. Check here for distances and driving times: www.yourtravelmap.com

PS - War Eagle!

Playa Guiones...
Destination Expert
for Nosara
Level Contributor
2,390 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: san jose airport to dominical before dark in December

Hattie are you sure? I would think that it would be at least 1-1/2 hours to go through customs, pick up bags, go pick up the rental, get orientated with where they are going....could be closer to 3:00 before they hit the road. Can they get all the way to Dominical before dark?

Costa Rica
Level Contributor
25,654 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: san jose airport to dominical before dark in December

allyam - you answered your own question. 1.5 hours to get through passport control and get luggage and rent car. On the road at 2 pm. Yourtravelmap.com says 3.42 hours from Alajuela to Dominical Beach. So arriving just before dark.

I think the OP can decide if she wants to stay somewhere overnight and then go on to Dominical. If so, she can break up the trip along the way or stay in Alajuela and start out the next day.

opelika alabama
Level Contributor
15 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: san jose airport to dominical before dark in December

thanks for the info...have looked at the site you mentioned and also used google maps....google maps gave me directions from the airport...the other map site gave more details but from the center of San Jose so will have to use both. My concern was how straight forward directions were so as to factor in some time if we get lost...looks like the best route will be 3 to 25 to 34...may have to plan on a stop overnight but hope not to....thanks again and "War Eagle"...today will be the big game!

Puerto Viejo de...
Level Contributor
435 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: san jose airport to dominical before dark in December

We drove to Uvita last March and did leave the airport at 13.30, stopped at Rio Tarcoles for the Crocodiles, stopped in Jaco at the BCR to exchange money, stopped at Playa Hermosa for a batido and got to Uvita at 17.45. So as long as you do not have any delay and it all goes smooth with custom and car pick up, then you will be perfectly fine.

Playa Guiones...
Destination Expert
for Nosara
Level Contributor
2,390 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: san jose airport to dominical before dark in December

Hattie, with all due respect (and I do really respect all your comments on this board, you give excellent advise) what I am saying is that knowing how long everything takes here, it could be closer to 3:00 before they hit the road. If that is the case it would be closer to 7:00 before they reach Dominical, and that would mean driving in the dark for an hour.

You are right, it is up to the OP.

If it were me, I would wait until I was in the rental car before deciding if it can be done. If I was in the car and it was closer to 2:00 I'd go for. But I'd have a couple of hotels in mind in Alajuela or San Jose, just in case. Things do go wrong sometimes...

Playa Guiones...
Destination Expert
for Nosara
Level Contributor
2,390 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: san jose airport to dominical before dark in December

just something to think about......how about staying in Jaco just for one night? You could have sunset at the beach then move on the next morning at your leisure.

opelika alabama
Level Contributor
15 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: san jose airport to dominical before dark in December

Appreciate your insight also...as my husband and I are "ole coots" it might be less stressful to stop over in Jaco...we are ultimately headed for Puerto Jimenez to join up with family...at our age...why rush! Thanks again...

Bethesda MD
Level Contributor
1,746 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: san jose airport to dominical before dark in December

Another option to consider -- one that someone on these boards suggested to me -- would be a driver or transfer to Dominical, and starting your rental there the next day. That way, while you might wind up on the road in the dark, it would be as a passenger being driven by someone who knows the turf. E.g., you could private-message Roadadvisor.

For some reason I keep having reasons to suggest Solid car rental. I swear I have no commercial or other relationship with them, other than planning to rent from them and having received good service to this point. Anyway, they do seem to have offices in both Dominical and Puerto Jimenez, so depending on your situation a one-way rental between those two offices might be an option.

opelika alabama
Level Contributor
15 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: san jose airport to dominical before dark in December

thank you for the suggestion....the more I ponder this, because of our unfamiliarity with the area....the more comfortable it seems it would be to have someone else drive us on the first leg of our trip....especially since our arrival time could be delayed..etc...etc. Driving after dark in another country can be very stressful and I want this to be a relaxing adventure! Thanks for all the great advice from all....

Get answers to your questions about Dominical