We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Civil Marriage Notary in Dominical?

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
9 posts
17 reviews
Save Topic
Civil Marriage Notary in Dominical?

I heard that you need a notary to perform a civil marriage in Costa Rica. How can I get in contact with a Notary/Lawyer? Both my fiance and I are US citizens and this would be our first marriage.

How much does this cost?

Costa Rica
Level Contributor
25,654 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Civil Marriage Notary in Dominical?

Take a look at the website for the US Embassy in San Jose. There is detailed information about how to be legally married in Costa Rica. There is some paperwork (read: "red tape") involved that takes a bit of time.

Wherever you are staying - they can recommend someone to perform the ceremony for you. Or, once you get there, just look around. You will find a lawyer's office eventually - "abogado y notario" sometimes "bufete."

Better to ask at your lodging, especially if you want to contact someone ahead of your visit.

Uvita, Costa Rica
Destination Expert
for Uvita, Ojochal
Level Contributor
2,649 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Civil Marriage Notary in Dominical?

Great advice by Hattie, you need to get a couple of thiungs ready before hand. Not sure about Dominical but there is a lawyer/notary in Uvita (12 km South - 15 min drive) as well as others in close towns (Cortez, Palmar Sur, San Isidro de Genneral & quepos) that could come down. Your hotel can help you with that.

Here are some contacts from the local magazine I can not vouch for these either way as I never dealt with them but a starting point:

Uvita Law Firm - Licda Kristy Penland (English spoken): kristipenland@gmail.com Tel: +506-2743-8416

Dominical wedding & Event Planner (just in case) - Ana Montesino email: ana.weddingplanner@gmail.com - www.prestigeweddingsandevents.com

Playa Conchal...
Level Contributor
2,051 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Civil Marriage Notary in Dominical?

http://www.marcelogalli.net/

Hope this is of use! And congratulations to you both!

Somerset, NJ
Level Contributor
19 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Civil Marriage Notary in Dominical?

Ana Montesino handled our daughters wedding for us, including arranging for a wonderful officiant who was a lawyer/notary. Ana is incredible and if you use her services I am sure you won't be sorry. My daughter and son in law were in touch with the officiant ahead of time to make sure that they had all of the requirements in place. ( US & Canada). I believe the officiants name was Marcellis and he handled all of the filings with the embassies.

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
9 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Civil Marriage Notary in Dominical?

Thank you so much for the helpful info!

I contacted Kristi today and we have everything sorted! :))

6. Re: Civil Marriage Notary in Dominical?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 17 December 2012, 10:17