We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is renting a house safe??

Rockwall, Texas
Level Contributor
892 posts
228 reviews
Save Topic
Is renting a house safe??

I have been interested in visiting CR and have never been. I have been spoiled by my trips to St. John, USVI staying in a private villa/cottage. After reading some things on here about robberies, I'm afraid of being in a strange country in a private dwelling. So, can someone tell me if that's safe?? Most of the places on my favorites list so far are in the Dominical/ Uvita/ Manuel Antonio area. Is this a good place to stay for a first time visit? We are beach people. Also, we love snorkeling, which I understand isn't great in CR. I do love wildlife and whales, too, though!

Rockwall, Texas
Level Contributor
892 posts
228 reviews
Save Reply
21. Re: Is renting a house safe??

Thank you, ticadonna and Dominical Dave. I've researched CR a lot and Dominical seems like a place I'd like to visit! Must have a beach so inland is a no go for us. I prefer Pacific Coast Mexico and US to Atlantic/Caribbean because of the "drama" of the mountains and ocean. Marina Ballena sounds interesting and a day trip to Manuel Antonio would be doable, but then we could escape the crowds. If not this year, maybe next, but I'm still hopeful! Dave, did you move to CR from the US?

Dominical, Costa...
Level Contributor
185 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
22. Re: Is renting a house safe??

We did not intend to move here, it just turned out that way. We came as investors with the intention of buying a vacation rental property and one thing led to another. We are now down here a most of the year due to our business, have become residents and this is home just as much as Colorado and Alaska is. With our rentals we naturally want our guests to have a great experience so getting to know the area was important for us to weed out the different tours and places to eat so their time is well spent which is what we like to do. There is a lot to check out around here and Dominical is a good central location for several day trips to neighboring coastal and inland towns

Maryland
Level Contributor
15 posts
263 reviews
Save Reply
23. Re: Is renting a house safe??

We just got back from a week in dominical and loved it. We rented a home called casa Bonita, we always felt safe. This area is off the beaten path and a little remote but there are plenty of things to do within 30 min in either direction. The beaches in costa rica are rugged and beautiful but not really great for swimming. We snorkeled at cano island, which was pretty good . The best beaches by far are in manel antonio, but this is a much busier area. I highly suggest Baha adventures in Uvita for any water tours.

Maryland
Level Contributor
15 posts
263 reviews
Save Reply
24. Re: Is renting a house safe??

We just got back from a week in dominical and loved it. We rented a home called casa Bonita, we always felt safe. This area is off the beaten path and a little remote but there are plenty of things to do within 30 min in either direction. The beaches in costa rica are rugged and beautiful but not really great for swimming. We snorkeled at cano island, which was pretty good . The best beaches by far are in manel antonio, but this is a much busier area. I highly suggest Baha adventures in Uvita for any water tours.

25. Re: Is renting a house safe??

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 June 2014, 07:17