We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is Dominical right for us??

Which Dominical hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Newark, New Jersey
Level Contributor
25 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Is Dominical right for us??

Hi All,

We are attempting to plan a CR trip for sometime in February. I do understand that this is last minute during a high and popular season. In all my research it seems and please correct me if I'm wrong that the Dominical area would suit us best. We are an active adventurous couple in our 50s. We are looking for a base of operations to come back to thus avoiding having to spend too much time traveling between different places. We would fly into SJO and drive down with a 4x4 vehicle. We are interested in rain forests, wildlife, zip lining, waterfalls, hikes, rappelling waterfalls sounds fun, scuba diving if possible, fishing, beaches and sunsets. All of these I think can be done from this area and I get the impression its not quite as touristy as other areas? Of course many of the most popular places are all ready booked so any recommendations for hotels or vacation rentals would be appreciated so I can possibly find one with availability. I have flexibility with dates and have not booked the airfare yet so as to keep it that way. Advice, opinions on itinerary? recommendations on lodging and quality tours? Thanks in advance, Kim

Chicago, Illinois
Destination Expert
for Costa Rica
Level Contributor
9,092 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Is Dominical right for us??

Yes Dominical sounds like a good fit for your interests. Check with Pacific Edge, a small B&B with individual bungalows with decks, a small pool and incredible views up and down the cost.

Slovenia
Destination Expert
for Costa Rica
Level Contributor
14,516 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Is Dominical right for us??

I am of same opinion. any place between Dominical and Uvita will suit your needs. And crfan's suggestion about Pacific edge is spot on. Fantastic views, great bird spotting, very relaxed vibe. Another place I have stayed at, and can recommend, is Alma de Hatillo http://www.cabinasalma.com . Positioned lower, no steep roads to drive and thus not as good views as PE yet it has bigger pool, and very nice yoga platform (if interested). And fabulous breakfasts with home made jams prepared by Sabina.

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
285 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Is Dominical right for us??

Dominical is one of our favorite place in Costa Rica! We just like the vibe that the area offers.

We are going back to Dominical in February for the third year in a row and we have been staying at Hotel Domilicos every time. Great location, very good breakfast, close to the beach and you can't go wrong with the price!

Enjoy Dominical :-)

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
285 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Is Dominical right for us??

Forgot to mention that we are also an active adventurous couple in our mid 40s.

Newark, New Jersey
Level Contributor
25 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Is Dominical right for us??

Thanks for all the replies! Would you suggest just spending all our time here or splitting it up with some other place along the way or perhaps farther down the coast?? We are estimating approx 7 days but have flexibility to make it a bit longer if that would work better?? thoughts?

Slovenia
Destination Expert
for Costa Rica
Level Contributor
14,516 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Is Dominical right for us??

Splitting it in 4+4 with either Puerto Jimenez or Drake Bay would be perfect. Like fly from SJO to Drake Bay, stay one night, go to La Sirena for 2 nights, get back for another 2 nights. Then return via Sierpe, rent a car and stay 4 days between Uvita and Dominical.

If not wanting to fly, then drive to Puerto Jimenez via Cerro de la Muerte with one overnight there; explore Cabo Matapalo area and do a day hike from Carate / La Leona ranger station to Rio Madrigal and back. Return to Uvita/Dominical.

Heredia, Costa Rica
3 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Is Dominical right for us??

Hi Kimbiak,

Dominical is full of adventure, nature, and excitement, I'm pretty sure that you’re not gonna regret it. In the area you can do hiking, and rappel at Nauyaca Waterfalls; if you like to do snorkeling or sportfishing Uvita is a great place as well, and it is just 30 min away from Dominical. The road is in excellent condition and is surrounded by exuberant nature, with spectaculars ocean views, and wildlife, anyway it is good to rent a 4x4 car.

In Uvita, you can find sport fishing tours, go scuba diving at Isla del Caño or at Marino Ballena National Park, which are full of marine biodiversity; you can also take hiking trips to Corcovado National Park.

Uvita is not as crowded as other regions. It’s always a good idea to bring rain ponchos and wear comfortable outdoors shoes.

For hotels, I can suggest La Cusinga Lodge which is 20 minutes away from Dominical, and it is a great option to live the experience of real and wild nature, breathless ocean and sunsets views, surrounded by spectaculars long and lonely beaches, that combine adventure, and excitement in a fabulous relaxing environment.

Hope you really enjoy your trip!

Berkeley, California
Level Contributor
156 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Is Dominical right for us??

We are also an adventurous couple in 50s, with kids though :-)

We just spent 11 days in CR, 6 in Dominical, and 5 in Osa (Piedras Blancas). We did pretty much the list of activities that you liked :-) We felt rushed in each location. So, from that point of view, I am not sure that I would recommend spending a few days in another region. I think we could have spent 10 days or more in the 150 km coastal area centered around Dominical. Of course, to each his own.

FYI, the activities we really liked around Dominical:

- surfing with Dominical Wave Rider Surf Camp, outstanding lessons

- hiking in many places. In Manuel Antonio, we were guided by Johann Chavez, and we were thrilled.

- horseback riding (Nauyaca falls)

- beach time in many beaches, including Manuel Antonio, Dominicalito, Dominical, Playa Hermosa, etc.

- ziplining/ canyoning: Quepo Canyoning was great, in particular rapelling in the waterfall.

- rafting. We went on an easy ride because of the kids, but there are some class IV rapids that we would go to if we were on our own (Pro Rafting Costa Rica for us, we liked them, but had to drive to Quepos for that)

- kayaking (coast and mangroves)

- exploring small roads and villages

- some limited birding

What we would have liked to do but did not do (no time):

- scuba

- snorkeling

- more exploring

- whale watching

- Corcovado excursion

- looking for really cool/ high quality CR products and souvenirs

- more idle time !

Newark, New Jersey
Level Contributor
25 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Is Dominical right for us??

KasualObserver,

Do you mind sharing where you stayed while in Dominical? I do understand you were there with kids but just to get your opinion. Are most hotels in this area not close to restaurants/stores? Am concerned about the warnings of not driving after dark but how can you not drive after dark and still go out for dinner?? haha We spent a week in San Pedro, Belize and just loved how walkable the small town was for meals and such. Anything like that in this area? Thanks, Kim

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
285 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Is Dominical right for us??

If you stay in Dominical, you will be able to walk to restaurants, bars, beach and everything else. We never had to drive in the dark while in Dominical since everything you need is right there.