We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cano island tour

Victoria, Texas
Level Contributor
430 posts
202 reviews
Save Topic
Cano island tour

What is the best tour operator for an all day tour to Cano Island with whale watching, mangrove exploration on the river, nice lunch on beach, and maybe some snorkeling?

between Dominical...
Level Contributor
28 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Cano island tour

Go with Perla del Sir out of Sierpe, Gayla. If you want the river/mangrove experience along with the open water I can highly recommend them. You leave from the dock behind the Restaurant Las Vegas in Sierpe and spend the first twenty minutes of the trip in the river. Write to us at our email address and we can give you contact information or we'll be happy to reserve it for you. There will be four of you this year, right?

Victoria, Texas
Level Contributor
430 posts
202 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Cano island tour

Will not book until we are in CR! Thanks!

San Jose, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
47,872 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Cano island tour

Good idea...book once you are here...and deal direct with Travel Services providers...you do not need a middle person or a company to book anything...and of course do not pay anything ...

roadadvisor

Grecia, Costa Rica
Destination Expert
for Province of Alajuela
Level Contributor
8,096 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Cano island tour

Not sure who is the best to book with but it is an awesome tour. I did once a long time ago when you could still land on the island. I hear you can't do that anymore. The snorkeling was decent on that trip and I saw humpback whales breaching which is something you never forget. Good luck, have a blast on vaca.

Victoria, Texas
Level Contributor
430 posts
202 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Cano island tour

We did it about 3-4 years ago .....we landed and had lunch on the beach..it was a great trip! Can't remember the name of the tour company we used! Saw whales....and all kind of creatures on the river portion.

Grecia, Costa Rica
Destination Expert
for Province of Alajuela
Level Contributor
8,096 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Cano island tour

They stopped allowing people to land on the island a while back, not sure why or for how long the closure will last, but I would not count on an island landing...

Victoria, Texas
Level Contributor
430 posts
202 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Cano island tour

Really........I just looked at Southern Expeditions Tours and they still say lunch on the beach...I think! Will have to check it again!

Grecia, Costa Rica
Destination Expert
for Province of Alajuela
Level Contributor
8,096 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Cano island tour

They might have started allowing it again, if you find out please send an update, I have wanted to do that tour again but was a bit bummed that there was no island portion...

Halmstad, Sweden
Level Contributor
49 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Cano island tour

We were there a couple of weeks ago and it included a beach landing at the station on the island. We (my family) were on the beach perhaps 30-45 min. We opted for another snorkelling tour but some of the other people on the tour stayed on the beach while we did that so the spent a couple of hours there.

The lunch we had on a beach on the mainland though.

between Dominical...
Level Contributor
28 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Cano island tour

The island was closed by Minae (department of the interior) to tourists as a result of Salud (ministry of health) not approving the new bathrooms built by Minae. Minae, deciding that their autonomy was being threatened decided to show Salud the error of their ways by shutting down the island to tourists and then blaming Salud. Salud responded by saying that the old bathrooms were still OK and that the shutdown was Minae's fault. As so often happens, the innocents are paying for the petty bureaucratic power struggles. There is still a lunch on the beach, it is just not on the island.