We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

resort choice - Bosque or La Paloma?

Which Drake Bay hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Boston...
Level Contributor
47 posts
30 reviews
Save Topic
resort choice - Bosque or La Paloma?

what do people recommend? We have stayed at Ylang Ylang in Montezuma twice and loved it, and for our next trip to Costa Rica want to try something a bit more adventurous and just a little different. I am looking at La Paloma Lodge on Drake and Bosque del Cabo near Puerto Jiminez. what are the big differences between visiting these 2 areas and resorts. I have a feeling we'd be happy at either. Feedback?

Toronto, Canada
Destination Expert
for Algonquin Provincial Park
Level Contributor
1,560 posts
1,079 reviews
Save Reply
21. Re: resort choice - Bosque or La Paloma?

If we did two places, would 3 or 4 days be too long in each? We were thinking or going to Tortuguero as well at the end of the trip (fly back to San Jose and then bus/tour to Tortuguero ), but with a day to Tort and a day back, would it just be better to just stay longer in the Drake/ Bosque del Cabo area. In non Turtle season is Tortuguero that different or better than a Drake Bay hotel and Bosque del Cabo, especially given the travel time from San Jose. We are most interested in paddling/wildlife/photography/snorkelling.

San Jose, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
46,011 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
22. Re: resort choice - Bosque or La Paloma?

If you like easy travel...stay around Drakes bay...if you are OK moving around and getting up early include Tortuguero!

Just buckle up and enjoy the ride in PARADISE!

Chicago, Illinois
Destination Expert
for Costa Rica
Level Contributor
8,833 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
23. Re: resort choice - Bosque or La Paloma?

Drake's Bay gives you access to boat trips to Cano Island and the San Pedrillo entrance into Corcovado National Park. There will be other tourists at this entrance but there are thouands of acres of rainforest and wildlife(compared to Bosque's 750 acres). Bosque and El Remanso are south of the park in an area with much wildlife, and many visitors never make the trek into Corcovado.

Tortuguero is a very different environment from either Drake's Bay or Bosque as it is a watery world laced with canals and a different set of wildlife. There' not much point in doing 1 night unless you fly in in the morning as the travel time from San Jose takes 1/2 a day and departures from Tortuguero are always early in the morning.

Only suggestion is to not try and do it all but save somthing great forthe next trip back.

Toronto, Canada
Destination Expert
for Algonquin Provincial Park
Level Contributor
1,560 posts
1,079 reviews
Save Reply
24. Re: resort choice - Bosque or La Paloma?

Sory I misstated, I would spend 2 nights at Tortuguero, not just overnight. But is it worth the trip (ie spending about 2 days travelling) or spend more time on the southwest coast, especially in non turtle season in Tort.

Ottawa
Level Contributor
358 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
25. Re: resort choice - Bosque or La Paloma?

Just to be fair and frank...La Paloma is equally expensive as El Remanso or Bosque del Cabo...I would imagine that they are all equally wonderful eco-lodges to stay at and I also think it takes a lot of dedication, hard work, and capital to keep them going. I question why roadadvisor always implys something negative about BdC...now he is saying something about "surfers" who are "getting rich" on "our work". I assume he is referring to the owner of BdC, Phil Spier, who years ago came down to the Osa as a surfer, and ended up buying land and creating his beautiful nature lodge. Are the owners of La Paloma or El Remanso not also getting rich, in his view? What is his grudge against Bosque and the owners? Why not just lay all your cards on the table, roadadvisor?

St. Petersburg...
Level Contributor
1,135 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
26. Re: resort choice - Bosque or La Paloma?

I fully agree with you osalife. Most of the lodges are not budget priced, putting down one as too expensive while suggesting others that are just as expensive or more is hypocritical at best and speaks of a personal grudge at worst. It is petty and not helpful to travelers asking for information.

The owners of Bosque del Cabo, and Lapa Rios, and El Remanso, have all done an outstanding job of providing steady jobs, well-paid and a familial atmosphere. Phil, at Bosque, has been in the area for well over a decade and is committed to buying land - not to expand and destroy the beautiful Osa but to preserve so that no development will take place there and keep it intact. All of the property owners on the Osa who work to preserve it and save it for future generations have my respect and I shall not belittle their efforts, shame on those who do.

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
2,505 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
27. Re: resort choice - Bosque or La Paloma?

His grudge against the owners is how much they paid for the land. If he had any clue about the great work they are doing down there maybe he would change his tune.

Brooklyn, New York
Destination Expert
for Sarapiqui
Level Contributor
5,264 posts
131 reviews
Save Reply
28. Re: resort choice - Bosque or La Paloma?

Note that you can also do tours of Sirena station from Drake Bay. You can do a day trip, or an overnight trip spending 1-2 nights at the ranger station itself. Either your lodge or Corcovado Expeditions can hook you up. Transportation is available either by boat or by plane--more expensive than walking, but a lot more comfortable and a lot shorter!

Texas
Destination Expert
for Arenal Volcano National Park, La Fortuna de San Carlos
Level Contributor
6,229 posts
167 reviews
Save Reply
29. Re: resort choice - Bosque or La Paloma?

I agree; I see a lot of hostility and references to ugly foreigners. I really don't understand it. They're preserving the land and providing employment. I think they do great work and am glad that they're helping to preserve a wonderful area.

30. Re: resort choice - Bosque or La Paloma?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 29 April 2010, 06:19