We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Independent Tour Operator in Drake Bay

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
21 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
Independent Tour Operator in Drake Bay

Just came back from Drake Bay, one of my favorite spots in Costa Rica for it��s incredible natural beauty, remote unspoiled character, and great hiking, diving and exploring. There's a new tour service there that operates independently from all the lodges, which is great because they can offer more choices and have some facilities the lodges don��t have (a supply of mountain bikes, a large catamaran which gives moonlight cruises). They��re easy to spot on the beach, and really friendly and helpful about everything in Drake Bay. Their tours were a great addition to my repeat visit to this beautiful area. Since there��s no review area for services on tripadvisor thought I��d post this here.... www.corcovadoexpeditions.net

Ft. Lauderdale
2 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Independent Tour Operator in Drake Bay

The catamaran that you mention never did arrive to Drake Bay, we went and asked and they don't know when or if it will arrive, so there are no sunset cruises. Also, their dolphin tour did not even compare to Delfin Amor's dolphin tour. Delfin Amor has a marine biologist on their boat and it was very fun and educational, Expedition's guide didn't really know what he was talking about and we all felt he was even making things up about the dolphins because he didn't know. Stay with the professionals on this tour!!

Ft. Lauderdale
2 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Independent Tour Operator in Drake Bay

The catamaran that you mention never did arrive to Drake Bay, we went and asked and they don't know when or if it will arrive, so there are no sunset cruises. Also, their dolphin tour did not even compare to Delfin Amor's dolphin tour. Delfin Amor has a marine biologist on their boat and it was very fun and educational, Expedition's guide didn't really know what he was talking about and we all felt he was even making things up about the dolphins because he didn't know. Stay with the professionals on this tour!!

Los Angeles
Level Contributor
13 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Independent Tour Operator in Drake Bay

Good to know Chica ...thanks.....I will be going to drake bay first of january for a week....I will be staying at aguila de osa....For the price i hope i get some good tour service...Any advise.....

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
21 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Independent Tour Operator in Drake Bay

I have stayed at Aguila de Osa, it's a fantastic place and their tour guides are really good. No one has better dolphin tours than Deflin Amor, that's what they specialize in, people come from all over the world to take their dolfin tour, and they are the only ones that actually will take you swimming with the dolfins. But do know that Corcovado Expeditions Naturalist guides are really good at what they specialize in, which is the park tours, mangroves, and snorkeling. The local lodges will often send their guests to them if they are looking for a different tour than the lodge is offering on a specific day. There was some hangup with the catamaran so it is now up in the port in Puntarenas, but it should be available soon. Tico bureaucracy can be slow... :)

You will love Aguila... the people are really nice, the rooms are beautiful, and the food is the best in the area. (as you can tell, I've been to Drake Bay several times and have stayed and several different places!)

Los Angeles
Level Contributor
13 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Independent Tour Operator in Drake Bay

thanks for all your information really helpful in deciding on the right tours to take,,, Makes me feel alot more comfortable staying in aguila..I will be staying in one of the suites..What did you think is it worth it or a regular room would be ok too?

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
21 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Independent Tour Operator in Drake Bay

Sorry, only just saw this post eternaljungle, sure by now it's too late but all the rooms are nice. The suites are very nice, it actually depends how much you mind steps! they are the rooms farthest from the actual lodge and it's all uphill to get to them. All rooms have porches and hammocks, etc and feel private. If money is a concern then I might go for a regular room and save the extra for extra tours or whatever, but if you like extra privacy then I'd go for a suite. But sure by now you've already booked, sorry. Forgot to check the notify box when I posted my last reply.

Los Angeles
Level Contributor
13 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Independent Tour Operator in Drake Bay

Thanks for ur reply and info. I all ready booked for early January 2006. I booked a suite for the privacy and hope for a great view.. At aguila de osa did you get to see any Macaws or toucans in close proximity. Did you have a chance to take a trip to sirena ranger station.. I have so many questions....How would you compare aguila de osa to other american hotels and also how is the food.. IS the heat tolerable in early january.. ..which tours do you recommend.. I would really appreciate it Thank you

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
21 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Independent Tour Operator in Drake Bay

For the short, quick, forum-sized answers: you'll definitely see macaos and toucans in Corcovado, and quite possibly around the lodge as well, along with monkeys. Food is really good, heat and humidity can be intense but it does cool off at night. For your other questions which seem a little more specific and in depth if you like you can email me at azurelines@aol.com and I'd be happy to help, I love the area. Can also email you a picture of that view you're hoping for!

Get answers to your questions about Drake Bay