We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

tiskita, lapa rios or la paloma?

Which Drake Bay hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
santa rosa
Level Contributor
39 posts
30 reviews
Save Topic
tiskita, lapa rios or la paloma?

i'm not that great at walking steep trails, and can't sort out which of these 3--all sounding fabulous--would be the right choice. i'm looking for great food,wildlife, possible whale sightings, and snorkeling/swimming. we're looking at next january, and would greatly appreciate some/any help

thanks

Pensacola, Florida
Level Contributor
12,945 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: tiskita, lapa rios or la paloma?

www.laparios.com

Best of Breed check TA reviews...

Brooklyn, New York
Level Contributor
811 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: tiskita, lapa rios or la paloma?

I'll throw Bosque del Cabo into the mix. I haven't been to the other places, but I've been to BdC. One of the nice things about BdC is that the main grounds with the cabins, bar, pool, and restaurant are on a relatively flat parcel of land. Some of the hiking trails have some steep parts, but there are also enough that aren't steep.

I've heard people say Lapa Rios involves a lot of steps or steep areas -- but I don't have firsthand knowledge of that.

Anyway, definitely check out Bosque del Cabo. It's very beautiful and special. It's been over a year since we were there, and I still use memories of the view from our cabin to lull myself to sleep most nights. Seriously.

Grecia, Costa Rica
Destination Expert
for Province of Alajuela
Level Contributor
7,929 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: tiskita, lapa rios or la paloma?

Lapa Rios is simply one of the best Eco Lodges in the world. It gets my vote. Bosque del Cabo posted above is also excellent, another cheaper option Luna Lodge. All will deliver

Cheers

Inca

Antigua, Guatemala
Level Contributor
2,958 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: tiskita, lapa rios or la paloma?

For me it's hands down La Paloma, I think for what they offer: Flights, tour to corcovado and cano island, amazing views from cabins, and delicious food you can't go wrong.

Lapa rios offers similar but for almost double the price.

Hope this helps,

Marina K. Villatoro

San Jose, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
46,269 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: tiskita, lapa rios or la paloma?

Tiskita is a dream for people that enjoy trees...the Aspinall family...has spend years researching for fruit trees around the world...even that the place is simple is soooooooo nice....we just host a group there about 16 people...we flew them to Tiskita...boat them around and even some nice jeep drives down to some beaches...every body just love the place...

roadadvisor

Panajachel...
Level Contributor
726 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: tiskita, lapa rios or la paloma?

I have actually stayed in all three (disclosure: I am a travel writer) and all have what you are looking for. None have a zillion steps as far as I can remember.

Tiskita is perhaps the most interesting of the three but not nearly as luxurious. They do not have proximity to Corcovado or anything close to as nice. I loved sampling their exotic fruit hybrids.

Lapa Rios is the most luxurious of the three and has by far the best food. It can seem a little impersonal - at the other places you are more likely to interact with other guests. I saw three different types of monkeys from my balcony. Corcovado is fairly close by and they have good guides.

La Paloma is also luxurious with wonderful views and great food. It's very friendly. They probably have the most to offer as far as things to do. They have good scuba facilites, Cano Island is close, Corcovado is close, there is great fishing. I saw a zillion, zillion, zillion dolphins (jumping as far as the eye could see) and a couple of whales. If you go there, I hope Tracy the Bug Lady is still doing night tours.

santa rosa
Level Contributor
39 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: tiskita, lapa rios or la paloma?

i want to thank you all for your replies--absolutely to the point, and really helpful in pointing me to what i hope will be the right choice

San Jose, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
46,269 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: tiskita, lapa rios or la paloma?

That is great to know that you may have a better idea about what and were to go!

roadadvisor

9. Re: tiskita, lapa rios or la paloma?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 14 October 2010, 07:15