We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Snorkeling / jellyfish in Cano island?

Takoma Park...
Level Contributor
165 posts
54 reviews
Save Topic
Snorkeling / jellyfish in Cano island?

How will the jellyfish be in March/April? My kids absolutely will not get in the water if there are any stinging or jellyfish and I know the trip to Cano Island is expensive (for four!)

I've heard enough reports that they are common that I think I will skip Cano.

Takoma Park...
Level Contributor
165 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Snorkeling / jellyfish in Cano island?

Bump for justice!

Bermuda
Destination Expert
for Bermuda
Level Contributor
3,448 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Snorkeling / jellyfish in Cano island?

can't say that they are common or uncommon. when you get into the water, nothing is guaranteed and the chance of getting stung by something is always there. while snorkelling at cana i saw some creatures that looked like they could sting and avoided them but while snorkelling in the golfo dulce i saw nothing and was stung by a creature that looked like snot that was caught on my camera lanyard.

UK
Level Contributor
293 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Snorkeling / jellyfish in Cano island?

Try some Lycra tights and tops, I heard they prevent most jellyfish stings.

They have developed a purpose made one in Australia with gloves, socks and cap. But it is quite expensive 9for what it is !), look it up on the net. However, any not very thin Lycra should do it. Apparently the jellyfish tentacles are not triggered when they hit the Lycra, but they do when touching skin and some other material.

They are becoming a nuisance around the world, in various places Asia and Australia specially (huge numbers recently blocked a filter to a power station nearly causing a disaster). The good news is that normally the sting is not too bad, some painful itching that goes away after a day or two (unless you hit the bad ones then means excruciating pain and terrible permanent scars for life !? Or death if unlucky)

As I love the sea and going in the water, after sharks they are my most hated species - I won't blink if either of them become extinct tomorrow (what's wrong with saving cute dolphins !?). And yes, I'm prepared for all the eco-friendly flamers to this post... ! LOL

Playa Guiones...
Destination Expert
for Nosara
Level Contributor
2,315 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Snorkeling / jellyfish in Cano island?

I can't find too much info on jellyfish stings around there. Since I am planning on the trip at the end of Dec, please tell me where "you've heard enough reports that they are common".

Takoma Park...
Level Contributor
165 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Snorkeling / jellyfish in Cano island?

reading through trip advisor reports several people have gotten small stings.

I'm sure it's fine for an adult. But my kids will be freaked out. They can do a lot of things, but my youngest is afraid of stinging bugs and most likely jellyfish.

So even a few in the water could make an expensive trip a headache.

My question is if they are seasonal. Jellyfish usually are.

(I'm a diver, and I've gotten stings bad enough to require repeated scraping and hydrocortizone.)

Playa Guiones...
Destination Expert
for Nosara
Level Contributor
2,315 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Snorkeling / jellyfish in Cano island?

I understand completely. I wish I could give you an answer as to whether this is seasonal or not! Seriously, as I'm am an adult and plan on taking this tour on Dec. 30th for a friends birthday, I have no desire to get stung anymore than your kids do! I was once stung by a man-of-war in Tx and I don't want any repeat of that! Not that any jellyfish around Cano Island will have that much of a punch, but I don't want any sting at all! If you will get back to me around the first week of Jan. I will let you know whether I took the plunge or not and what the 'tour guides' say. You will still have time to decide whether to book or cancel.

Takoma Park...
Level Contributor
165 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Snorkeling / jellyfish in Cano island?

Ok that would be great! I'll do that.

Man-o-war, yikes!

I got multiple hits in Hondouras by Sea-wasps. And in Hawaii the motorboats grind up the box jellyfish into tiny bits that float into shore and sting pretty badly.

The posts I saw sounded mild. I hope you have no trouble.

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
57 posts
112 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Snorkeling / jellyfish in Cano island?

I plan to go diving/snorkeling in the Cano area in January/Feb. so I'd like to know about this too--although if diving I'll hae a wetsuit on. But still...my kids big but had an unpleasant run in with jellyfish in Virginia and won't let me live that down. Please post here Allylam and have a great trip. By the way...what do you suggest for a trip to Cano for water play?

9. Re: Snorkeling / jellyfish in Cano island?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 23 June 2013, 07:41
Get answers to your questions about Drake Bay