We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is Isla Cano back open?

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
633 posts
131 reviews
Save Topic
Is Isla Cano back open?

Are the day trips for snorkel/diving/hikes operating again to Isla Cano off Drake Bay? THX

Costa Rica
Level Contributor
25,654 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Is Isla Cano back open?

As far as I know, the day trips are still operating for snorkeling - but - the island is still closed.

Puerto Jimenez...
Level Contributor
354 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Is Isla Cano back open?

Operators are still running snorkling/dive/dolphin/whale trips, but no landings at the island. At this time, it doesn't look positive for a quick re-open.

Pura Vida,

Ballardo

Tennessee
Level Contributor
581 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Is Isla Cano back open?

Thats too bad. Was looking forward to that. Still going to go atleast once I think but I love shore snorkeling.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
633 posts
131 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Is Isla Cano back open?

My gosh, how long does it take to rebuild a a few banos and put in updated septic? Its has been a year now right? It is a special place, the hike around it is really pleasant too...is it work in progress, or a funding/political/province/ministry thing....

Edited: 01 January 2013, 16:56
Costa Rica
Level Contributor
25,654 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Is Isla Cano back open?

solohobo: There are always many reasons for something like this being delayed so long. They may be valid - they may not. But people still go to the area to go snorkeling, etc, so it's better than nothing.

Of course, Costa Rica is not as efficient a place as somewhere like Germany or even Chicago so you will need to be a little patient.

Cahuita, Costa Rica
Destination Expert
for Cahuita
Level Contributor
2,647 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Is Isla Cano back open?

Better be safe than sorry, I guess. Who wants sewage to be a problem in such a pristine snorkeling area? Not worth thinking about the damage to the fauna, flora and tourist pleasure in the area if things are not constructed correctly and safely. Things tend to move slowly here,but as they say on the Caribbean coast 'soon come.'

7. Re: Is Isla Cano back open?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 06 January 2014, 22:15
Get answers to your questions about Drake Bay