We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

how much should we tip guides to Corcovado National Park?

billings, mt
Level Contributor
148 posts
103 reviews
Save Topic
how much should we tip guides to Corcovado National Park?

Yesterday our guide spent 8 hours with us hiking from San Pedrillo station. Jose was very nice and very knowledgeable. There is a tip jar for guides here at Las Caletas. We are inclined to give our tip to Jose directly but we have no clue how much is customary. Also tomorrow we are meeting Kenneth Mora at Sirena Station for a fulll day of hiking and an overnight with early morning hiking as well. He owns his own tour company and charges $250 per person for the overnight. There are 3 of us. Do we also tip him? Or should the $750 we have paid cover that? Seems different with Jose who I believe is an employee and is very unlikely. To be making the kind of money Kenneth is.

Brooklyn, New York
Destination Expert
for Sarapiqui
Level Contributor
5,523 posts
132 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: how much should we tip guides to Corcovado National Park?

I don't know about custom, but if someone walks around all day like that I tend to tip around 20% of the total cost of the tour for the three people or $25, whichever is higher. More if it's truly exceptional service or experience--if a guide spots a jaguar or a harpy eagle, I'm tipping him at least $50.

For the guide who owns his own company, I guess tip based on how the level of service was. Some kind of tip is appropriate, maybe $25-50.

It's a little tricky in Drake Bay to determine who is truly independent and who's working for whom as opposed to getting referrals.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
633 posts
131 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: how much should we tip guides to Corcovado National Park?

10% to 20% to the guide, if he did a nice job and was pleasant and knowledgable,,,,

$250 PP? To overnight at San Pedrillo? Yikes! i hope they made you 3 great meals and it was in a darn nice boat...

I need to be a guide/tour operator, that is just obscene...

Edited: 04 January 2013, 23:31
Slovenia
Destination Expert
for Costa Rica
Level Contributor
15,925 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: how much should we tip guides to Corcovado National Park?

Solohobo, it is 250 $ for two days one night at La Sirena Station, as per OP post. And since he is stationing in Drake Bay that probably includes also boat in and boat out. Now the sum is not so obscene anymore, isn't it?!

Scottsdale, Arizona
Level Contributor
83 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: how much should we tip guides to Corcovado National Park?

Thanks "DREW", i mean Racandee, we were wondering how much to tip. We're doing 3 days in corcovado, 1 day in, 1 day to explore and 1 day out! 20% sounds appropriate!

Brooklyn, New York
Destination Expert
for Sarapiqui
Level Contributor
5,523 posts
132 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: how much should we tip guides to Corcovado National Park?

Enjoy Sirena/Corcovado, it's a blast.

One piece of advice: skip the primary rainforest trail at Sirena if offered as an option (I believe it's the Ollas trail). Most difficult trail with the poorest wildlife sightings.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
633 posts
131 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: how much should we tip guides to Corcovado National Park?

Ahh, good point, okay, but still, is it not $60 day PP from PJ with guide, plus meals of $45 day at the Ranger Stations?

Slovenia
Destination Expert
for Costa Rica
Level Contributor
15,925 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: how much should we tip guides to Corcovado National Park?

Hmmm, you are right, we paid 60 US$ pp for one day PJ to Corcovado hike up to Rio Madrigal and back in 2011. Could the boat ride be so expensive? In any case for me there is no appeal being a guide in Corcovado. Walking the beach from Carate is just too hard, and I would be lost in a jungle in a minute ... So we should leave that to the experts.

Bethesda MD
Level Contributor
1,730 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: how much should we tip guides to Corcovado National Park?

Not to mention putting up with abusive Belgians...

(Not a slur on the nation, a reference to one in particular)

Slovenia
Destination Expert
for Costa Rica
Level Contributor
15,925 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: how much should we tip guides to Corcovado National Park?

Hahaha, yeah I still remember reading about that particular specimen.

10. Re: how much should we tip guides to Corcovado National Park?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 08 January 2014, 06:15
Get answers to your questions about Drake Bay