We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

lodging in town or outside town at an eco lodge

New York City
Level Contributor
509 posts
34 reviews
Save Topic
lodging in town or outside town at an eco lodge

We were planning to stay at Las Caletas. It came highly recommended. Now, however, I am hearing that we should stay in town and that Jade De Mar or Cabinas Murillo is great, will suit us just fine and will save us a ton of money. Since we are already spending a ton of money to get to Drake Bay and will be roughing it at Sirena for 2 nights I didn't want to spend the rest of my time in Drake Bay at a run down place that would lack privacy and wildlife. However I am hearing that the town is quiet, there is no action after 7 pm, no music and since we are going in August it will be empty. I am having trouble finding photos that would give me a good idea as to which route I have to go to get the maximum enjoyment out of our visit to the area. We are planning to stop at the hotel for one night, then depart to Sirena for 3 days, then come back and the next day do Cano Island tour. The next day we are leaving. Should I stay in town or should I stay at a remotely located eco lodge to get the most out of our stay in the area? Many thanks.

Kansas City
Level Contributor
332 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: lodging in town or outside town at an eco lodge

I understand your frustration finding photos to give you an idea what the area is like. It was the same for me before our trip. I had no idea what to expect when arriving at Drake Bay but I fell in love with the town once we were there. Maybe go to "Drake Bay" on TA and browse through the photos.

We have done the 2 night Sirena trip twice. The first time was my husband and myself we went directly Sirena for 2 nights and afterwards did 2 nights in a remote eco lodge. Just last week we returned to the Osa with our children and this time we did one night Drake, 2 nights Sirena, 3 nights Drake.

You are correct that there will not be night life in Drake. It is a pretty quiet little community. There are 2 grocery stores, a handful of restaurants, tour operators, hotels and a church on the corner. We loved the peace and quiet of Drake Bay because we were wanting a peaceful little town for some R&R.

We stayed at Las Cotingas and were pleased with dinner and breakfast. After Sirena we stayed at Casa Horizontes Guest House. We loved that location and property and would stay there again. Two years ago we stayed at Casa Corcovado for the 2 nights after Sirena.

My thought is to say stay in Drake the night before you leave for Sirena then stay 2 nights in your dream eco lodge after Sirena. After spending 2 nights camping in Sirena you will really appreciate being pampered at a nice lodge. My only concern is if you do go to Cano the next day you really won't be at your lodge much so you will need to decide if it is worth the extra money.

Brooklyn, New York
Destination Expert
for Sarapiqui
Level Contributor
5,360 posts
132 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: lodging in town or outside town at an eco lodge

Have you looked at Finca Maresia? Out in town, secluded, gorgeous cabins, very affordable.

New York City
Level Contributor
509 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: lodging in town or outside town at an eco lodge

Thank you all so much for the advices. I thought the idea of transferring to Carcovado directly after our flight into Drake Bay was brilliant. It would save us an extra day! Our flight gets in at around 9am and I hear by this time all the tour boats have departed Drake Bay to Carcovado already and I would need to charter a private boat which would cost a fortune. Lydia--how were you able to transfer to Carcovado the same day? Private transfer or there are some boats that leave around 10am that we could join? Could you please share?

If I have to stay in Drake Bay for 1 night I guess its the best option. We can explore Drake Bay--it would be interesting from a historic point of view as well. I don't know whether the beach would be decent or water full of boats and oil coming off from them. The next morning we would transfer to Carcovado for 3 days, 2 nights. After we return I can stay at an eco lodge for 2 nights.

Slovenia
Destination Expert
for Costa Rica
Level Contributor
15,052 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: lodging in town or outside town at an eco lodge

Yes, that is a good plan. Just don't expect any historical thing in Drake Bay. Water will for sure not be full of boats - or any oil coming from them. The quality much more depends on rainfall and wind. To prepare yourself for Drake Bay better, get Google Earth; the map details are excellent. Going down the coast you will also find La Sirena station (look for a long straight line, that is the airstrip.

New York City
Level Contributor
509 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: lodging in town or outside town at an eco lodge

thanks. it would still be great if I could find a boat to transport us to Sirena at that time. Do I have a chance? Or no one goes to Sirena at that hour?

Kansas City
Level Contributor
332 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: lodging in town or outside town at an eco lodge

Ask your guide about boats to meet your time needs. If there is one then your guide should be able to find out about it. Our first visit we flew into Sirena and boated out. This time we boated both ways.

Exploring Drake Bay will take about 15 minutes. Thirty minutes tops. :) It is a tiny community. Drake Bay really isn't about "doing" anything. It is more a place to experience life. If there is a soccer game being played at the local field you can pass some time there with the locals. We were amused when the players came off the field at half time and ate empanadas and drank a beer before the second half. We enjoyed sitting on the benches is a little "park" and watching life go on. Depending on how many activities you have the other days of your trip a down day might be appreciated.

If you do stay in Drake your first night you can walk about 20 minutes south to another beach, I think it is Playa Cocalito which is a really nice little beach for swimming and relaxing. We took a picnic lunch there. Ask at your hotel or any local and they can tell you how to find path to walk there.

New York City
Level Contributor
509 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: lodging in town or outside town at an eco lodge

thanks. i already checked with our guide to be--no boats at that time that we could join. what can we do while we are "stuck" in Drake Bay? i honestly do not want to watch local soccer matches. can we take a trip to Cano Island? maybe a hike to the local waterfall? It just looks like an inevitable waste of our precious time in the area.

Slovenia
Destination Expert
for Costa Rica
Level Contributor
15,052 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: lodging in town or outside town at an eco lodge

Mom, "wasting precious time" is THE BEST activity in Costa Rica. Sitting in the shade of a tree, with a cold beer or batidos in your hand, just observing the life goes by ... those moments are the most precious ones we have had in Costa Rica. Do not run after the life, give life a chance to walk slowly to you.

Also tours to Cano Island starts early in the morning. Do like lydia said; book into your hotel, go and "explore" the community, get some fresh fruits and cold drinks and walk to that Playa Cocalito. Come back, get a nice dinner and go to bed early. BTW what about night tour with the Bug Lady?

New York City
Level Contributor
509 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: lodging in town or outside town at an eco lodge

the problem is that we would not want to miss swimming with the wild dolphins --an all day activity and we need a full day for that, also snorkel at Cano island+ whale watching which needs another day. Stay at Carcovado for 3 days and 2 nights. that's our 5 days! i have no choice but to transfer to carcovado immediately if i want to have 2 full days for activities (swimming with dolphins and Cano Island+whale watching). Also, my understanding is that the Bug Lady night tour is a must and that happens from Drake's Bay? Finally I am getting conflicting reviews on our upcoming stay at Sirena--that bringing food and cooking there is not allowed?

Canada
Level Contributor
3,967 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: lodging in town or outside town at an eco lodge

There in no guarantee of seeing whales or dolphins on a tour so just hope to luck out on your ride to cano. If there is someone promoting swimmmimg with wild dolphins, that is just wrong and probably illegal in CR .