We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

lodging in town or outside town at an eco lodge

Which Drake Bay hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
New York City
Level Contributor
509 posts
34 reviews
Save Topic
lodging in town or outside town at an eco lodge

We were planning to stay at Las Caletas. It came highly recommended. Now, however, I am hearing that we should stay in town and that Jade De Mar or Cabinas Murillo is great, will suit us just fine and will save us a ton of money. Since we are already spending a ton of money to get to Drake Bay and will be roughing it at Sirena for 2 nights I didn't want to spend the rest of my time in Drake Bay at a run down place that would lack privacy and wildlife. However I am hearing that the town is quiet, there is no action after 7 pm, no music and since we are going in August it will be empty. I am having trouble finding photos that would give me a good idea as to which route I have to go to get the maximum enjoyment out of our visit to the area. We are planning to stop at the hotel for one night, then depart to Sirena for 3 days, then come back and the next day do Cano Island tour. The next day we are leaving. Should I stay in town or should I stay at a remotely located eco lodge to get the most out of our stay in the area? Many thanks.

Kansas City
Level Contributor
308 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: lodging in town or outside town at an eco lodge

I was in Sirena July22nd - July 25th.. You can bring and cook food or you can buy meals cooked by the ranger station cook. The majority of the campers cook their own food or have their guide cook for them. Look at my review for Corocovado Info Center and you will see the type of food we were eating that our guide cooked for us.

We saw whales and dolphins on the boat rides between Sirena and Drake.

New York City
Level Contributor
509 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: lodging in town or outside town at an eco lodge

re: swimming with the wild dolphins--definitely people are promoting it. hm...i can see why it would be illegal... i don't know what to think anymore.

Costa Rica
Level Contributor
25,655 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: lodging in town or outside town at an eco lodge

Who specifically is "promoting" it? Can you point to a website or post on Trip Advisor or a tour agency or hotel?

Canada
Level Contributor
3,770 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: lodging in town or outside town at an eco lodge

I am with Hattie all the way. Mommy, did someone send ylu a private messge promoting this per chance?

New York City
Level Contributor
509 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: lodging in town or outside town at an eco lodge

No. I called one place I won't name and they said it was a common tour. They just gave me the price without saying who does it. I did my own research. One link is here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ztdaBJL5vnE After exploring this further I don't see anything "illegal" or wrong in the activity. The animals are allowed to approach if they want to. Given their natural curiosity they usually do.

New York City
Level Contributor
509 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: lodging in town or outside town at an eco lodge

I posted another post and I don't see it for some reason. What I said in that post is that if swimming with wildlife was illegal per se then no one would do it ever anywhere. Yet, people swim with whale sharks, dolphins and whales routinely all over the world. So long as the people do not initiate the interaction and allow the wildlife to approach on its own there is no harassment. I would imagine the outfits that do that would need to be regulated and that there would be only a certain number of them allowed to do it to ensure its done properly. Hence my initial question as to who does it.

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
61 posts
99 reviews
Save Reply
17. Re: lodging in town or outside town at an eco lodge

I would definitely stay in town. Jade Mar has the best site, Cabinas Manolo has the best rooms and is super comfy and clean. I would skip Cano Isalnd which is pretty overrated for snorkeling and do another hike. Do the night tour and do the night swim with Carlos Pacheco. Carlos does a lot of great hikes and he is awesome.

18. Re: lodging in town or outside town at an eco lodge

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 23 November 2014, 05:17