We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Pirate's Cove, Caletas or something else?

New York City
Level Contributor
509 posts
34 reviews
Save Topic
Pirate's Cove, Caletas or something else?

I understand that Caletas is right next to Copa de Arbol and about 45 minute walking distance from La Paloma. Pirate's Cove is about 10 minutes walking distance from La Paloma. The reason I am wondering about the distance from La Paloma is because we wanted to take a night tour with Tracy the Bug Lady and will have to walk to La Paloma for that at night through the forest so the shorter the trek the better. Are there any other alternatives around La Paloma? We wanted to be away from the noise coming from Drake Bay and enjoy wildlife in relative comfort without the hefty price tag. Many thanks.

Costa Rica
Level Contributor
25,654 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Pirate's Cove, Caletas or something else?

Noise from Drake Bay?......??

New York City
Level Contributor
509 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Pirate's Cove, Caletas or something else?

I was told there can be disco/music and vehicle noise especially on weekends and our stay falls partially on a weekend.

Costa Rica
Level Contributor
25,654 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Pirate's Cove, Caletas or something else?

I guess that's similar to traffic noise in Tortuguero.

Canada
Level Contributor
4,168 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Pirate's Cove, Caletas or something else?

I think it is the opposite. Las Colitas would be closer to La Poloma. I am pretty sure we walked all the way to town from Cope de Arbol in less than 45 minutes. (in daylight mind you) I would not recommend walking from town to Las Poloma along that trail after dark. At least not without a local guide and strong flashlights. There is no disco in town and a traffic jam would consist of two motorbikes using the same path. In fact, I would not really consider it a town per say. More of a tiny village.

Here is a map of lodge locations gringocurtandticoesteban.com/web_images/drak…

Edited: 07 August 2013, 18:39
Kansas City
Level Contributor
344 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Pirate's Cove, Caletas or something else?

Have you checked out the map on The Bug Lady's website? It gives you a good idea where the hotels are. She also lists walk times between properties.

I would not walk to Pirate's Cove in the dark. It is quite a hike from Drake Bay, and on an unlit dirt road.

Also wouldn't worry about noise in DB. We spent 4 nights there. Heard an occasional motorcycle. The only music we heard was from the church that was having a revival, and we couldn't hear it from our B&B.

We had toucans, macaws and lots and lots of monkeys in the trees at Casa Horizontes.

Edited: 07 August 2013, 19:48
Brooklyn, New York
Destination Expert
for Sarapiqui
Level Contributor
5,522 posts
132 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Pirate's Cove, Caletas or something else?

There is one place that plays some music on the weekends, but it's not audible to any of the places you'd be considering.

New York City
Level Contributor
509 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Pirate's Cove, Caletas or something else?

Thanks so much everyone--I didn't notice the map on Tracy's website and the other link is great too. Now I feel I can actually see where everything is. Yay.

New York City
Level Contributor
509 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Pirate's Cove, Caletas or something else?

I'll post the link to Tracy's map here: www.thenighttour.com/map_drake_bay_large.jpg

9. Re: Pirate's Cove, Caletas or something else?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12 August 2014, 06:19
Get answers to your questions about Drake Bay