We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Trip November 1-10

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
366 posts
83 reviews
Save Topic
Trip November 1-10

I will fly from SJO to the Drake Bay landing strip. Copa de Arbol Lodge, which I chose based on TA reviews, will be my home base for 5 nights. I would like to do day excursions from there. My top interest is viewing wild animals, bird watching, the beach/swimming and immersing myself in the beauty of this region.

Here are my questions:

-weather: how wet is early November?

-does Sansa cancel flights to the Osa during the rainy season?

-is there a possibility boat trips are canceled due to rain?

-trip package includes a day tour to San Pedrillo Station but not La Sirena. Which one is best for trail walking and wildlife viewing?

-also included a day trip to Isla del Cano for snorkeling. How's the visibility? Is the trip worth it?

-any other parks or refuges in the area I should visit in Osa?

-is 5 days too long of a stay?

Thanks in advance for your comments and suggestions!

Slovenia
Destination Expert
for Costa Rica
Level Contributor
15,488 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Trip November 1-10

October is the rainiest month in Osa; Corcovado NP is even close at that time. So there is a fair chance that also beginning of November will be pretty rainy. If there are storms then Sansa (and Nature Air) will cancel flights to Drake Bay. Same goes for boat tours. And same goes to snorkling; with heavy rain visibility will be poor. Reportedly La Sirena has better wildlife then San Pedrilo. Five days are not too long for Osa; hopefully weather will cooperate and you will have amazing holidays.

Edited: 11 September 2013, 21:24
Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
366 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Trip November 1-10

Thank you so much for responding to my post!

The more I read the more I am inclined to postponing the trip to November 15th even if I loose money making these changes.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
162 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Trip November 1-10

For what it's worth, I went to CR (Arenal and Manuel Antonio) in mid-November a few years back, and we did not get a ton of rain. For my upcoming trip to the Osa we're going at the end of November, which is still technically green season and it can still rain a ton. I know that Osa is a different other parts of CR, but from what I've read you can still get at least a few hours of sun in the mornings. Even when it rains in CR it's not so bad. If you can postpone a few weeks it might help but it might not - it's the weather after all and it's totally unpredictable. Good luck!

Manuel Antonio...
Level Contributor
21 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Trip November 1-10

I would say 5 day is too short for a visit to Costa Rica, because Costa Rica has many things and places to see and explore.

September, October and November are the rainiest months in Costa Rica, which is also known as the "Green Season". During this time the roads are less dusty, Costa Rica looks amazingly beautiful with greenery and variety of wildlife all around. Although it gets little difficult to travel by as the roads get muddy and flights or cruises getting cancelled, but still its worth visiting due to the overwhelming beauty.

The trip to Isla del Cano is truly worth and would be a beautiful memorable trip. Isla del Cano is one of the best places for snorkeling and scuba diving. Its untouched and less inhabited. You can visit the Cano islands and experience the rich marine biological reserve and later on have a hearty lunch onboard . The islands also have spectacular features ancient civilization dating back pre Columbian period.

In Osa you should visit Corcovado National Park, where you can see many rare species of animals, breathtakingly beautiful secluded beaches. Its simply amazing.

Have a nice trip! Pura Vida.

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
366 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Trip November 1-10

Dear friends,

Thank you so much for your suggestions!

Unfortunately the cost of changing flights to/from San Jose for two people is extremely high, over $ 2,000.

My options are canceling the trip and rescheduling for a later date next year or take a chance and go on the first week of November.

All the Costa Rica experts told me it is crazy to go to the Osa in early November, so it's really difficult to make a decision. In addition, the purpose of my trip is to view birds and wildlife which is difficult in the rain!

Since I've been to Costa Rica 5 times (and to Corcovado once, in January) I am running out of options...I've already seen the traditional tourists areas, even before they built hotels - like 25 years ago!

Any ideas for remote, isolated areas with plenty of wildlife?

Edited: 12 September 2013, 19:10
Brighton, United...
Level Contributor
315 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Trip November 1-10

Cano Negro is lovely. I saw lots of wildlife and a pleasing lack of tourists :-)

Chicago, Illinois
Destination Expert
for Costa Rica
Level Contributor
9,507 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Trip November 1-10

If you are looking for remote isolated areas in early November maybe you should rethink and focus on the Caribbean slope which has its best weather at this time of year. Maybe Rara Avis which is so far off the grid there are no roads there. www.rara-avis.com/‎

Or you could combine time at La Selva Research Station in Sarapiqui with a couple of nights in Tortuguero.

Or you could take a look at Selva Bananito at the edge of La Amistad International Park (extends all the way into Panama) http://www.selvabananito.com/home/ and combine with a couple of nights at the Nature Observatorio Treehouse in Manzanillo, south of Puerto Viejo. None of these options are as luxurious as Copa de Arbol but there's plenty of wildlife out there.

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
366 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Trip November 1-10

Dear friends,

After much thought I decided to reschedule my Costa Rica trip to the first week of December.

Now, I just need suggestions for 2 days after my stay at Copa de Arbol.

Is it possible to rent a car anywhere near Drake Bay and drive to San Gerardo de Cota?

If not, I will fly out back to SJO and rent a car there and possibly do Cano Negro.

Thanks again everyone!

9. Re: Trip November 1-10

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 15 September 2014, 05:17
Get answers to your questions about Drake Bay