We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Corcovado National Park or Tortuguero?

Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
7 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Corcovado National Park or Tortuguero?

We can't see both of these places because of the time limits. We like hiking in the forest and spotting animals. So we would take a hike or a day hiking tour there. Plan to be there in April, can spend up to 2 nights/3 days. Those of you who have been in both places I am looking forward for your suggestions. Thank you, Susanna

Brooklyn, New York
Destination Expert
for Sarapiqui
Level Contributor
5,368 posts
132 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Corcovado National Park or Tortuguero?

Tortuguero is boat rides, not hiking, from what I understand. There's nowhere in Costa Rica that can compete with Corcovado in terms of wildlife hiking. We're talking 4 species of monkey, two species of peccary, puma, ocelot, tapir.

nebraska
Level Contributor
1,123 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Corcovado National Park or Tortuguero?

Tortuguero is all about water & spotting from small boats. The only "hiking" is along the beach.

Corcovada is like nothing else! It is so special! But, it is time consuming to get to and in my opinion for only 2 nts it is not worth taking a day each way to get there. Where else are you going in CR? There are a lot of good hiking places.

Costa Rica
Level Contributor
25,654 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Corcovado National Park or Tortuguero?

There is a terrestrial portion of the Tortuguero National Park where you can hike. That being said - of course, Corcovado is THE place to go for wildlife - but with limited time, it's a problem. It's an all-day trip to get there unless you fly so if going by land, you really need four days. Two days is minimum for the Park.

Brooklyn, New York
Destination Expert
for Sarapiqui
Level Contributor
5,368 posts
132 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Corcovado National Park or Tortuguero?

Hattie's right on the 2 nights three days thing--that sounds much more like a Tortuguero itinerary than an Osa itinerary--you have to budget two days just for getting in/out of the Osa peninsula, plus another 2 days just to get in/out of Corcovado.

Cartagena, Colombia
Level Contributor
898 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Corcovado National Park or Tortuguero?

Hi Susanna! I did the walks in Corcovado and it´s really the best place for what you mention, I spent some days but I saw there are short tours of one day offered there.

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
288 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Corcovado National Park or Tortuguero?

You could also fly in Corcovado, that's what we did last year and hike the trails around La Sirena during your stay. We spent 2 nights at La Sirena and the experience is definitely one that we will remember for ever! It is a VERY amazing place :-)

Slovenia
Destination Expert
for Costa Rica
Level Contributor
15,277 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Corcovado National Park or Tortuguero?

Pros and cons described above. Time wise, and from San Jose, Tortuguero can give you 3 days with 2 nights while Corcovado (not Osa Peninsula!!) can give you only 1 day with 2 nights.

8. Re: Corcovado National Park or Tortuguero?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 January 2015, 06:20