We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Road Conditions to Drake from Uvita?

Asheville, North...
Level Contributor
21 posts
33 reviews
Save Topic
Road Conditions to Drake from Uvita?

Hi,

Anyone know the road conditions for a drive to Drake tomorrow?

Slovenia
Destination Expert
for Costa Rica
Level Contributor
17,494 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Road Conditions to Drake from Uvita?

So, what was the road condition?

Asheville, North...
Level Contributor
21 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Road Conditions to Drake from Uvita?

Bumpy! However, we had a great time on the drive and experienced a part of Costa Rica most people never will. There is one sketchy river crossing but it hadn't rained recently and we took it slow and steady in 4WD. We stopped in Rincon for a delicious lunch of ceviche and a cold beer and were assured the road conditions were fine.

The unpaved roads in the villages of Uvita and Ojochal area seemed almost as bad in some places.

Pros: If you have the time and a 4WD it's a beautiful yet somewhat challenging drive that you will always remember. Good option if you want to carry in a lot of your own food and pack heavy.

Cons: Seriously bumpy. I wouldn't recommend if you have back or neck problems or during the rainy season or after a recent rain which is unpredictable.

Mentioned in this post
Costa Rica
Costa Rica
Central America
Uvita
Uvita
Province of Puntarenas, Costa Rica
Slovenia
Destination Expert
for Costa Rica
Level Contributor
17,494 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Road Conditions to Drake from Uvita?

Thanks a ton, Dharma! There are many questions re. driving this road, and only a few answers. Would you be so kind and share with us where did you start your drive and how long does it takes? Were both ways the road in about the similar condition? I mean, the part between Rincon and DB.

Asheville, North...
Level Contributor
21 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Road Conditions to Drake from Uvita?

Sure. The road was the same both ways and you get to see both the Golfo Dulce and Drake Bay and drink in majestic views of mountain rain forests. My Google Maps did a fair job. We downloaded a map of CR to the Garmin but without long/lat many names of locations didn't come up at all or required that we be within a few miles to list the establishment. It also lost satellite and was incorrect numerous times.

Head south on Route 34/Constanera Sur to Palmar Norte and stay right onto Route 2/PanAmerican Hwy. Continue to Chacarita and turn right on Route 245. At this intersection you will see a sign for Puerto Jimenez and Rincon. Go approx 28 miles to Rincon. Prior to crossing the large bridge over Rio Rincon turn right and continue to Agujitas, Drake de Oso.

Last chance for gas is in Chacarita. The only evidence I saw was a restaurant at the intersection named Chacarita and a large gas station on the corner where you turn onto 245. Last chance for bank/ATM and good grocery is in Palmar Norte.

From Chacarita to Rincon it's about 28 miles of paved roads to Rincon. (Magnificent views of the Golfo Dulce on your left prior to Rincon where there is a pull off on your left and a 'soda' on your right. )

At Rincon (aka Rincon de Osa, there is more than one Rincon in CR) prior to crossing the bridge there is a bar/restaurant on your left. Either stop here and patronize the local family owners by having a bite to eat or turn right towards 'Drake de Osa' and 'Parque Nacional Corcovado'. This is a good place from which to check the road conditions. We spoke to a nice tico who had just come from Agujitas, Drake and who said the river crossings were no problem.

From that intersection it is approximately 19 miles/45 minutes to Agujitas, Drake de Oso. On the way back I stayed in 2nd and 3rd to Rincon. As soon as I would get up some speed we would hit a rough patch and had to slow.

I would allow 2.5 hours, Chacarita to Agujitas.

Of the 3 stream crossings one has two single beams spaced the width of a mid size vehicle which serves as the bridge. The beam crossing is very short and was no problem. However, the stream beside it was very shallow. I have seen pics of that 'stream' almost covering the bridge. Look to the right and cross the stream if you're concerned or just have someone get out and direct you across.

One crossing was over a foot deep and moving swiftly. We stopped and watched several motorcycles cross then chose our path. The water was up to the exhaust pipes of a 125cc. A last resort option would be to wait until another vehicle comes along behind you and hope they offer to help should you stall (lame?).

A large SUV would have been more comfortable and I did use 4WD in several places. This road is traveled by locals with motorcycles, vehicles, transports to/from lodges all who know the road and drive fast. A honk of the horn before rounding a sharp curve might avoid a collision. It is very dusty and we slowed for ticos on foot and on horseback. Btw, if you have to make a pit stop you should think twice about straying off the road in the bushes. ;)

We only made one wrong turn but it was fairly easy to follow the road most traveled.

Edited: 08 April 2014, 04:00
Mentioned in this post
Drake Bay
Drake Bay
Osa Peninsula, Costa Rica
Puerto Jimenez
Puerto Jimenez
Osa Peninsula
Osa Peninsula
Province of Puntarenas, Costa Rica
Slovenia
Destination Expert
for Costa Rica
Level Contributor
17,494 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Road Conditions to Drake from Uvita?

Thanks a lot! The part between Palmar and Rincon is indeed beautiful, and since the whole 245 was freshly paved, it is all smooth drive.

Details about Rincon to Drake Bay are excellent; definitively not to be taken during rain season. So Jimny was a tad too small; so or Terios or even better Toyota RAV4?

In Drake Bay where did you stay? Did you need to park the car somewhere for your stay?

Mentioned in this post
Drake Bay
Drake Bay
6. Re: Road Conditions to Drake from Uvita?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10 April 2015, 05:16