We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Internet?

Barcelona, Spain
4 posts
Save Topic
Internet?

Hi, I am looking to go to Guatemala for 2 months and need internet for my work. I would like to stay in one of those budget places for less than 10$ a night, do you know of any such places that have internet access? Thanks.

The Dalles, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Guatemala, Belize
Level Contributor
11,292 posts
327 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Internet?

That sounds like quite a lot to ask for $10, but you could follow the hotel links from the www.guatemalastory.com site and see what you come up with. I'll ask around and let you know if I hear of anything. I hate to scare you away, but power outages are a problem in that area; nearly every time I'm there internet service is interrupted.

Barcelona, Spain
4 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Internet?

Thanks hopefullist for your reply. I am not really scared of power outages as I lived in India and expect them. I am trying to figure out where to go for the next 2 months, THialand, Guatemala or somewhere else, and am needing the following:

1) good nature

2) internet access, hopefully wifi at my hotel?

3) under $10 a day accomodation in a private room, share bathroom ok

4) fresh air

5) good and easy availabiltiy of ripe fruit

I know thailand hotels, even cheap ones generally have wifi, although I might be mistaken.

Power outages are ok and expected.

Although this is the San Pedro thread, any ideas on where you think these requirements would be fulfilled best would be awesome, wehter it is somewhere in Guatemala or elsewhere. I'm wracking my brain way too hard trying to figure it out.

Bethesda, MD
Level Contributor
2,815 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Internet?

Stacey, do you know if Jarachik has wifi? Because they have a couple of rooms that would fit this price.

The Dalles, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Guatemala, Belize
Level Contributor
11,292 posts
327 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Internet?

I really don't know - I live with a local family or in the apartment at the Cooperativa school when I'm in San Pedro so I'm not very knowledgeable about the hotels. I have a friend who spends his winters there and stays at Tepepul Kaan which is very nice and in that price range, but I don't think they have wifi because I know he is helping support the education of a gal who works at a local internet cafe which means he's likely spending time there.

I'll see if I can reach him and ask if he knows about the availability of wifi.

Barcelona, Spain
4 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Internet?

Thanks!

Lake Atitlan
Destination Expert
for Lake Atitlan
Level Contributor
1,031 posts
225 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Internet?

My personal experience is that budget hostels will not have FREE wi fi on the grounds. They will have computers in some hotels for you to use, but often charge extra.

The Tigo modem used for wi fi internet is widely used and very easy for visitors to get connected. The modem can be purchased for around $40 and should include service for the first month in that price. Then you could sell your modem to a local person when you are ready to depart.

The Dalles, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Guatemala, Belize
Level Contributor
11,292 posts
327 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Internet?

I friend who lives in San Pedro La Laguna in the winter just told me he went to Cyber Click - with the market on your left take the first right, just down a few doors and upstairs. He paid 215q for his Tigo modem stick - the first 15 days for free, then 145q a month ($28 and $18 respectively).

Panajachel...
Level Contributor
726 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Internet?

I'll be happy to sell you my Tigo modem for $5. If you need to use the internet more than one or two hours a day these modems are useless. They have a cap on usage.

The Dalles, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Guatemala, Belize
Level Contributor
11,292 posts
327 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Internet?

Good to know.

Panajachel...
Level Contributor
726 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Internet?

This may be too late but I realized Apartanmentos Don Moises outside Panajachel may work for this guy. Monthly rates are good, the interent service is good, the views are awesome, the rooms, casitas are also good. The suicide showers gets a little old but . . . . The Web site does not seem to be working but the phone is 7762 -1733.

Get answers to your questions about San Pedro La Laguna