We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Advice for solo expact

Which San Pedro La Laguna hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Baddeck, Canada
Level Contributor
19 posts
Save Topic
Advice for solo expact

Hi,

I live alone in Canada, and cannot stay another winter. I am 57, and am on a fixed income. I really want to explore and live,learn cultures and perhaps never see snow again!! lol So this is a new adventure for me, I have not really traveled that much before and never for about 5 months which is what I plan. Dec./Jan to mid/end of April. I was told a bit by email of a friend who spent time in Guatamala in the 90's. Sounds very interesting, so I did a bunch of research on the area. Thought I may be interested in places around the lake as opposed to Panajachel?! Santa Cruz, San Pedro, j...can't think of the name right now. Anyway, it all sounds very interesting and intriguing, however I really am a beach, salt water person but not fond of humidity.

My top priorities are safety, affordable, coastal..ish, and culture.That being said, I have been looking @ Panama, Belize, Nicaragua(?), and Guatamala, Atitalan area, which is not coastal..so??? I'm just researching these and am not sure of affordability at this time. Sooo I am opened to advice, suggestions, and any information I can gather. Peru has also been suggested and also is very appealing. I have not researched it as of yet, been busy with the other possibilities. And to be very honest, I am a tad overwhelmed, to say the least!!

I would be very interested to hear about anyones experiences, locations, thoughts, interpretations, and advice. I will leave this with you, and hope to hear from you at your convenience.

Thanks,

Murdena

2 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Advice for solo expact

HI Murdena, I am also considering travelling to central america for 4 months as of dec 1-6 until end of feb or mar. I have travelled through asian countries, africa and mexico/costa rica on my own and was great. however, I am thinking of spending 17 days with intrepid on a overland trip from playa del carmen to Antigua. This is not usually what i do but I thought I would try something different. The trip is 17 days and cost 1000.00-1200.00 cheaper if booked end of aug and leave cda by dec 6th. I also love the ocean and would probably spend most of my time enjoying the seas. Humidity does not affect me and you will definitely experience humidity in central american countries. I reside in vancouver. anyway, that we could get in touch? Deanna

Baddeck, Canada
Level Contributor
19 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Advice for solo expact

Sounds very interesting!!! I am now looking @ Sayulita Mexico. Have you been there?? It would be great to meet up somewhere.

Cheers,

Murdena

California
Level Contributor
2,362 posts
299 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Advice for solo expact

Sayulita is nowhere near Guatamala. That is an entire different trip. If you have 4-5 months you can do quite a bit. Guatamala is easy and lots of tourist information available. Research these forums, go to the library and get books and figure out where you want to start and where you want to end up. In other words, fly into one country and out of another and in-between enjoy.

Baddeck, Canada
Level Contributor
19 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Advice for solo expact

Hi, yeah I realize Sayulita is nowhere near Guat....I am looking at all possibilities and trying to find the best fit. I am not planning on doing more than one country, but am opened to that as well. I really want to find a place that works for me and take it from there. Enjoy your adventure, I'm still trying to figure mine. :)

Port Richey, Florida
Level Contributor
2,546 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Advice for solo expact

Take at look at this site www.riodulcechisme.com and see how these english speaking expats are enjoying life on the atlantic coast in guatemala. Try to post any questions you may have about the area on their forum.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Yucatan Peninsula
Level Contributor
19,222 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Advice for solo expact

I just spent 10 days in San Pedro on Lake Atitlan. The first half of my trip, I stayed with an expat friend who has been going there for years and living full time for about 3 years. I met a lot of expats through him... They have a very cheap life there - but there are concerns. My friend lives in a very local neighborhood, and his house is very secure. He has people looking out for him, but Im sure everyone knows he's there.

The friends of his who live in a more expat area have had repeated robberies.

It seems the people who own businesses and have something to do are a lot happier. The retired expats have a lot of time to gossip and complain about the locals, who got ripped off, etc. Compared to all the retired expats I know in Merida (Mexico) and Caribbean islands, these people seemed pretty unhappy and stuck.

I know this is all anecdotal.

I was there to study Spanish, and check out the other towns on the lake - I have spent time in Antigua on other trips (and Chichi and Pana). There isn't much culture, but there are movies, a animal center where you can volunteer, and women's weaving cooperatives.

SuitcaseReady.com

Edited: 25 August 2014, 17:45
Port Richey, Florida
Level Contributor
2,546 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Advice for solo expact

Keep in mind this forum is mainly for tourists that have only spent a few days there. To get a better opinion about what relocating to guatemala is all about you should go to www.expatexchange.com

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
1,208 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Advice for solo expact

"Not much culture" in Atitlan? Seriously?

It's one of the cultural gems of the western hemisphere...

Central America
Level Contributor
1,932 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Advice for solo expact

For some, "culture" equates only to art museums, opera, and theatre...a rather limiting view of the world I think. Especially considering that the rich Mayan culture of the region predates all of these by at least a couple thousand years.

Edited: 27 August 2014, 22:52
Guatemala City...
5 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Advice for solo expact

Hi!

I´m a local guy who knows Guatemala very well.

Now about my country. Here is a awesome place, you can find cold weather, warm weather, beaches with black sand and white sand, many lakes like Atitlan or Izabal lake, you can fishing (Guatemala is the Sword Fish Capital).

My personal Options

Cold Weather:

Quetzaltenango:

Local people name this place "Xela". The info you can search in Google.

Now the extra official info is you can visit the Central park in the morning or late you can eat "tostadas" "chuchitos" "atol" etc. In the night be careful because some days are noisy and the bars are open. But is beautiful place.

Near to Xela you can visit Fuentes Georginas about 20 minutes from Xela or you can visit Turistic places like "Xocomil" or "Xetulul" it´s located in Retalhuleu near to Xela, about 45 minutes. The weather in Retalhuleu is warm.

Huehuetenango

It´s located 5 hours from Guatemala city and 2 hours from Quetzaltenango. What you can visit at this place?

Well i recommend you visit Zaculeu ruins, La Laguna, and in the late you can eat local food in the central park.

Near to ]Huehuetenago center you can visit "Todo Santos Cuchumatan" or "El mirador de los cuchumatanes"

Huehuetenango has warm weather too, you can visit Santa Cruz Barillas, not the center, i´m talking about around Barillas, it´s a unexplore place only for adventure people.

Solola

You can get enough info about this place on the web

Antigua

Search the web.

Warm or Hot weather

Puerto de San José

If you want visit beaches near to Guatemala City, i recommend you rent and apartament in Chulamar or Juan Gaviota in Puerto de San Jose that it´s an exclusive place in the pacific. It´s near to Guatemala City about 1 hour and half. You can eat local food like "ceviche" or "caldo de mariscos" "mariscadas" etc, This place is near to Pacific ocean

Iztapa

But if you like the simple places you can go to Iztapa wich is near to Puerto de San Jose, it´s quiet and secure. Foreign people has "Chalets" here because the place is quiet and near to the Pacific Ocean.

Izabal

It´s located 6 hours from Guatemala City. In the Atlantic Ocean. You can find in this place beaches this white sand, you can visit ruins like Quirigua or Izabal lake. You can also eat local food like "Tapado" or "rice and beans" or "Pan de coco"

If you want more info I can Help you

Regards

Edited: 28 August 2014, 01:22
Get answers to your questions about San Pedro La Laguna