We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Trek in Demerdzhi, Crimea

Brussels, Belgium
Level Contributor
6,518 posts
351 reviews
Save Topic
Trek in Demerdzhi, Crimea

Can someone recommend a 3-day (or so) trek in Demerdzhi, for a fit hiker ? Or is 3 days too long for this range ? (if possible accessible by public transport)

Is there accomodation (like mountain huts) or camping only ?

Can I buy a hiking map in Kiev (in which shop ?) ?

Ai-Petri
Observation Decks & Towers, Mountains
Karadag Natural Reserve
Geologic Formations, Mountains, Nature & Wildlife Areas
Mountain Voloshin
Mountains, Observation Decks & Towers
Kyiv
Level Contributor
21,670 posts
324 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Trek in Demerdzhi, Crimea

Hi Pierre :) Good to see you in Ukraine forum!

I've been there a few years ago, but don't think things have changed much - don't count on any accommo up there in Demerdzhi plateau.

As for the public transport, well, you can, for example, get by bus from Alushta to Luchiste, or from either Simferopol to Alushta to Angarskiy Pass, but will have to walk further on. Some parts of the mountains are reachable by car or by horses.

The best "organised" overnight base for trekking to Demerdzhi that I can think of is Luchistoe village. People let rooms in their houses there, and it's not expensive (because the village is considered to be too far from the sea).

But if you plan trekking for 2-3 days, then camping is the best way to go. Btw, local companies can help with bringing the tents etc by car to the selected camping site so that you could trek light.

As for the maps, my favourite Kartografia did issue several maps of Crimea, including (all in Russian):

Mountainous Crimea atlas ukrmap.com.ua/catalog/…

Crimea for tourists atlas ukrmap.com.ua/catalog/…

and also some atlases of various areas in Crimea.

You can buy them in Kyiv here http://ukrmap.com.ua/en/where-to-buy/

But none of these can be considered a hiking map as such. So if you travel alone, I'd better recommended you to take a local guide, knowledgeable in the trekking routs of Demerdzhi. Trekking paths are poorly marked (at least were when I last did it), and it’s easy to get lost without knowing the area.

Perhaps Crimea residents can add more helpful or updated details.

Brussels, Belgium
Level Contributor
6,518 posts
351 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Trek in Demerdzhi, Crimea

I trekked for 3 days in Demerdzhi. A few remarks:

- Unfortunately there is motorized tourism (4WD ...) up the mountains, which I (and most hikers) hate

- The Kartografia map is very poor. THe physical topography is correct, but the trails, absolutely not.

- There is a 30 hr entry fee for the Dzhur Dzhur waterfall (not worth it, but the valley above tha fall is much nicer, you can continue as far as the plateau)

Kyiv
Level Contributor
21,670 posts
324 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Trek in Demerdzhi, Crimea

Thanks for honouring us with the update.

4. Re: Trek in Demerdzhi, Crimea

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 16 September 2014, 06:21