We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cycling ALL of Hwy 93 - Wickenburg, AZ to Jasper, AB

Jasper, Canada
Destination Expert
for Jasper, Jasper National Park, Canadian Rockies
Level Contributor
20,679 posts
124 reviews
Save Topic
Cycling ALL of Hwy 93 - Wickenburg, AZ to Jasper, AB

The town where I live in the Canadian Rockies, Jasper, Alberta, is a "sister city" with Wickenburg because they are located at the northern and southern ends of highway 93, respectively - with approximately 3000 km or 1700 miles between them. A couple of months ago, I started doing some research about the highway 93 route and the towns on the way because we are thinking about driving down to Arizona for a holiday sometime next winter and it seemed like a cool idea to follow the one road all the way south. Coincidentally, when cleaning out some bookshelves, an old issue of National Geograhic (December 1992) came to my attention, with an article entitled "The Hard Ride of Route 93"... kind of a "moody" piece about the route and the places through which it passes.

Another highway 93-related story recently popped up on my radar. Today, Jasper's Fire Chief begins a 4-week solo bicycling trek from Wickenburg to Jasper, and he is blogging, facebooking and tweeting along the way. Aside from the human-interest story of someone doing an endurance event such as this, I am also following it for the photos and travel information along the way, and it occurred to me that others might find it of interest too.

Here are the links:

http://endms93.com/

https:/…437080889704320

Enjoy!

Mentioned in this post
Jasper
Jasper
Jasper National Park, Canada
Wickenburg
Wickenburg
Central Arizona, AZ
Arizona
Arizona
United States
Wickenburg, Arizona
Destination Expert
for Wickenburg
Level Contributor
2,755 posts
836 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Cycling ALL of Hwy 93 - Wickenburg, AZ to Jasper, AB

Wow, if I'd known that yesterday I'd have waved him off. What a feat. I do endurance races with horses up to 100 miles and run half marathon and the occasional marathon, but I'd never manage something like that!. - Thanks for posting this.

Mesa, Arizona
Level Contributor
9,998 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Cycling ALL of Hwy 93 - Wickenburg, AZ to Jasper, AB

WHy dont you see if you can do it as a CHARITY ride? I'm sure there are websites where you can sign up. R U planning on doing this alone? Will you have a support vehicle? I'd guess its important to PLAN your stops, know where bicycle repair shops are, whether your medical insurance will be good if there is an emergency, Consider SHIPPING gear ahead of the to a UPS or FEDEX location to hold for you (call ahead and find out IF they can do that and if there is a charge).

Make sure you use a website where we can TRACK your ride. I certainly would be interested in reading about your ride. See if you can get the "sister" cities together on this.

Jasper, Canada
Destination Expert
for Jasper, Jasper National Park, Canadian Rockies
Level Contributor
20,679 posts
124 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Cycling ALL of Hwy 93 - Wickenburg, AZ to Jasper, AB

Hi Karen. The ride is not me - it's the fire chief from my town, which is a sister city to Wickenburg. From what I understand, it is a solo ride with no support vehicle - in the photos, he is carrying quite a lot of stuff with him. And yes, it is a charity ride, raising money for MS research and I posted the link for the website where you can track the ride (as well as the facebook page link) - please read my OP for the details. ;-) He has been posting along the way, and is staying tonight with relatives of Jasperites, in Kingman.

Mentioned in this post
Wickenburg
Wickenburg
Central Arizona, AZ
Kingman
Kingman
Arizona
Kipling. SK
Destination Expert
for Zion National Park
Level Contributor
6,982 posts
131 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Cycling ALL of Hwy 93 - Wickenburg, AZ to Jasper, AB

Interesting post. I really enjoy seeing these stories of interconnectivity. Thanks for the post

5. Re: Cycling ALL of Hwy 93 - Wickenburg, AZ to Jasper, AB

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 14 January 2015, 18:15
Get answers to your questions about Wickenburg
More Wickenburg Topics