We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

weather in april and may for visiting grang canyon

bc
Level Contributor
29 posts
Save Topic
weather in april and may for visiting grang canyon

hi, i'm still trying to find the best way to visit the grand canyon and surrounding towns I want to do it by car...and travel on my own time frame...if I land in Vegas what would be the best routes to take and how much time should I give myself to visit hoover dam, the skywalk, grand canyon.

Would I be able to find accomodations along the way without booking ahead of time?

Where are the helicopters and plane tours located?

I'm hopping that the weather in May will be warm during the days.

Sedona, AZ
Destination Expert
for Sedona, Arizona, Monument Valley
Level Contributor
66,148 posts
249 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: weather in april and may for visiting grang canyon

Your destinations ar hundreds of miles apart. So you'll need plenty of time and you might want to reconsider some of it.

You will drive across the Hoover dam on your way from LV to the Grand Canyon. You can stop there to admire it, or if you have a few hours you can tour it from inside.

The skywalk is a rip off. It is located about 200 miles away from the Grand Canyon nat'l Park, about 150 miles downstream and on a side canyon. If you drive there in a rental car, be advised that the last 14 miles is on an unimproved road, and you will void your rental car agreement. If you damage the car, you will be liable, and reapirs and time wasted will spoil your vacation. I'd skip the skywalk and drive straight to the Grand Canyon Nat'l Park. You can find accomodations along the way, but you will have a much more enjoyable vacation experience if you book in adavance and stay inside the park in one of the lodges there, as advised in your other post. The park lodge accomodations are priced from around $66 per night, and if you book now, you should be able to find something. If you wait, you'll be forced to stay outside the park in Tusayan or even farther away in Williams, where prices will be just about the same but you'll need to add the time for commuting and the cost of fuel and mileage.

It's up to you. You are showing good signs by asking and planning in advance. Now you need to make the commitment and book, if you want to save time and money.

Flight tours above the canyon depart from the GC Airport, in Tusayan, just outside of the park.

As for the title of your post, and the weather. April is a transition month and weather can be anything from fair and sunny and warm to snowy and cold. May is generally the better time to visit, weatherwise.

Mesa, Arizona
Level Contributor
3,796 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: weather in april and may for visiting grang canyon

I agree with Redrox. I don't know how much time you have but if you have a full weekend try to fly into vegas early. Get your rental car and get on the road. Its 4 1/2 hrs to Williams then another 1 hour to GC south rim. If its a weekend give extra time around the dam as traffic can back up. Expect may to still be a little cold at night so just layer.

Skip the sky walk do a search and see for yourself.

As far as finding a hotel goes just don't be picky if you get in late. But if you want more time book a room at or near the GC s rim to save time and driving.

tucson az
Destination Expert
for Tucson, Arizona, Northern Mexico
Level Contributor
17,644 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: weather in april and may for visiting grang canyon

Grand Canyon West, a private enterprise of the Hualapai Indian tribe, where the Skywalk is located, is about 3 hours from Las Vegas. There is a shuttle to take you from their welcome center to GCW, which avoids you driving on the unimproved road. There is a cost for parking and the shuttle which is not stated. Visitng GCW and the Skywalk costs $80 plus tax per person.

It is 5-6 hours from GCW to GCNP South Rim. I also recommend skipping the Skywalk and going directly to GCNP South Rim.

If you tend to be selective about lodging, it is not a good idea to look for accomodations along the way without booking. Plan your visit. It will take one day to drive to GCNP even if stopping at some of the towns along Route 66 which parallels the Interstate 40 highway. The best experience at the canyon is to book lodging at the canyon. The closest lodging outside the park is in the town of Tusayan just outside. But if rooms were not available there when you arrive, you would need to backtrack to Williams an hour and look there.

Mesa, Arizona
Level Contributor
48 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: weather in april and may for visiting grang canyon

You have failed to mention your budget for this adventure. If you got lots of cash, take the plane shuttle from Las Vegas to the skywalk as its the only way to enjoy the visit, otherwise skip it. A stay in Williams, a 1880 arizona railroad boom town and one of the few small towns surviving the demise of route 66, the cost of a ROOM THERE DOES NOT MEAN LUXURY. The best stay at a high rate is the lodge on route 66 and the downtowner/rodeside inn suites. For less money the Grand motel offers good clean rooms. The view from your room means nothing. Great breakfasts at Old Smokeys and great dinners at Red Raven. Everything is much cheaper in Williams. The one hr drive to the canyon is enjoyable. The following motels in Williams are NOT owned by Eastern Indians, asians, or mexicans,: Super 8, Canyon Motel, El Rancho, Grand Motel, Lodge on Route 66, Downtowner/roadside suites, Grand Canyon Hotel,and the Highlander. There are more than 30 lodging choices in Williams. As always ask to preview the room before paying for it. If you make a reservation, be sure to get in writing the reservation refund policy. The innkeepers will be coming out of a long winter. The Grand Motel and the Grand Canyon Hotel are both on the national register of historic places, the only lodging in Williams that is.

Aubrey, Texas
Level Contributor
10,527 posts
198 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: weather in april and may for visiting grang canyon

Grand Canyon National Park South Rim and North Rim have the awesome scenery associated with Grand Canyon http://www.nps.gov/archive/grca/photos/

Spending at least one night in the national park is the best way to see Grand Canyon. That enables a visitor to view a sunset and a sunrise and have ample time to visit the viewpoints. It's a five hour drive from LV to either the South Rim or the North Rim over good highways. The routes are easily navigated. The entry fee is $25 per car, good for seven days. Note that the North Rim is closed mid-October to mid-May due to wintry conditions at the higher elevation. South Rim is open year-round.

Along the way, stop in Seligman, a Route 66 town.

Helicopter tours from Grand Canyon National Park Airport at Tusayan, AZ, fly over a part of the canyon, but aircraft are prohibited from flying below the rim in GCNP.

Here's the lodging link for South Rim http://www.grandcanyonlodges.com and the North Rim foreverlodging.com/lodging.cfm… The NPS webpage for GCNP is http://www.nps.gov/grca and a map of GC Village at South Rim nps.gov/grca/…village_map.pdf Find the "climate" page on the website to get more info on expected weather. I think mid-May is an ideal time to visit the park.

In-park lodging is in heavy demand, so make reservations as soon as dates are known. If nothing is available, try calling to check for cancellations that don’t always appear on the websites. For information about lodging outside but nearby the park, follow the link to “Lodging” under “Plan Your Visit” on the NPS site.

The area called Grand Canyon West, aka West Rim, is heavily promoted in Las Vegas through helicopter and bus tours. That’s where skywalk is located. The canyon is impressive there but on a smaller scale than the national park. It is expensive to visit. Do your research before going there. The reviews on TA are mixed. tripadvisor.com/Attraction_Review-g31306-d12…

6. Re: weather in april and may for visiting grang canyon

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 14 October 2009, 18:20