We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

pet kennels

canada
Level Contributor
3 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
pet kennels

we are hoping to stay in williams az with a day trip to gcnp. pretty sure taking our dog (small) not allowed so although we found a pet friendly hotel. we will not leave her there for the entire day and we are looking for a kennel or doggy daycare. any advise. Or is there a way to still enjoy the canyon and take her with us. thanks to all of you whom reply

Mesa, Arizona
13 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: pet kennels

Check out the Grand Canyon Railway Pet Resort. I don't have direct experience but it got a great write -up a few months ago in Fido Friendly magazine.

www.thetrain.com

Harleysville...
Destination Expert
for Fountain Hills
Level Contributor
5,377 posts
449 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: pet kennels

There are quite a few pet friendly motels in Williams and a kennel. The Kennel is run by the Grand Canyon Train so I don't know if you have to have a reservation on the train or not. Here is the website.

http://www.thetrain.com/pet-resort-6037.html

Here is a website with pet friendly hotels in Williams

hotels.petswelcome.com/arizona/williams/

Most people disagree with me and I understand that and respect that. . Most people advise not to take dogs. We have been there several times without a dog and it has been easier, but it can be done. The biggest hindrance is that you cannot get on the shuttle to any of the stops on the west rim out to Hermits Rest. We have a small dog that we have taken to the canyon often. You can still enjoy the canyon with your dog if you are considerate. We were there less than two weeks ago and Visited the Village are first - where the hotels and restaurants are. Obviously dogs are not allowed in hotels and shops. Hubby stayed outside while our friends and I went into gift shops.

You can buy sandwiches at the marketplace or at Bright Angel Fountain located outside the gift shop and restaurant. They sell drinks and sandwiches that you can eat anywhere outside.

We left the Village area and then drove to all of the stops on the east rim - Rt 64E. They are all beautiful and you can take you little dog with you. The last stop is Desert WatchTower then you can continue on to Cameron and head back to Flagstaf on 89A

Arizona
Destination Expert
for Scottsdale
Level Contributor
4,846 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: pet kennels

Lots and lots of other little critters to distract and entice often right at the edge of the rim so it goes without saying to keep your dog leashed at all times...

Level Contributor
14 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: pet kennels

We wish you success in finding a day care for your sweet dog. We are a pet friendly outdoor restaurant and would love to meet all of you while in town. Please bring her with you to The Singing Pig BBQ on the corner of 5th and Route 66 behind The Buffalo Pointe Bed & Breakfast. BTW, here is a local business who may have just the information you're looking for - http://maps.google.com/maps/place?hl=&rlz=1B3MOZA_enUS402US402&um=1&ie=UTF-8&q=williams,+arizona+pet+care&fb=1&gl=us&hq=pet+care&hnear=Williams,+AZ&cid=12612763884056623586 She's a really nice lady and knows all the pet going's on in town. Give her a try.

New Orleans...
Level Contributor
57 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: pet kennels

I know this thread is from awhile back, but just wanted to say. The Grand Canyon has a day or overnight Kennel in the far west side of the park. We kenneled our dog for four hours there to take in the IMAX and the museums and eat breakfast at El Tovar. The staff was really nice and he was well looked after. The Kennels are big cement indoor/outdoor type, clean. They feed the dogs twice a day. You can bring your own food or toys, but you should definitely bring a blanket or dog bed, something your dog is familiar with to put in there with him. My dog was so excited when he got there, because he thought he was going to play with other dogs, instead of being put up for a few hours, so we could take in a few places that dogs aren't allowed. He did really well with his blanket and the staff was great. You can take your dog all over the South Rim trail and we did. The kennel was the perfect sitter for a couple of hours and a decent price for us to take in a few extras. I would definitely recommend them.

Harleysville...
Destination Expert
for Fountain Hills
Level Contributor
5,377 posts
449 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: pet kennels

That is nice to hear and thanks for sharing. The kennels there had gotten a bad rap for a couple years and its good to hear of someone satisfied.

New Orleans...
Level Contributor
57 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: pet kennels

I forgot to say, always travel with a copy of your shot records. Kennel's can't take a pet unless they have their latest vaccination records, for the health safety of your pet and others. We kept ours in the glove box with his rabies tags.

Harleysville...
Destination Expert
for Fountain Hills
Level Contributor
5,377 posts
449 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: pet kennels

Yes for sure - we always have our dogs with us too, especially since we fly.

9. Re: pet kennels

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 03 January 2013, 10:18