We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

perkinsville road to Williams, AZ

Phoenix, Arizona
Level Contributor
39 posts
118 reviews
Save Topic
perkinsville road to Williams, AZ

I will be going to Williams, AZ via Perkinsville road from Chino Valley, AZ. Is this a easy drive, or should I forget the scenery and take the I-40?

Santa Fe, New Mexico
Level Contributor
7,073 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: perkinsville road to Williams, AZ

What will you be driving ? carracar

Sedona, AZ
Destination Expert
for Sedona, Arizona, Monument Valley
Level Contributor
59,241 posts
236 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: perkinsville road to Williams, AZ

Good question from carracar. The other important factor is when will you be doing this?

The road is generally rough and requires high clearance. If you're driving a rental car you'll be violating your contract. And at this time of year monsoonal rains can make it pretty muddy.

If nothing else, this road will add, not save time. Scenery on I-40 isn't bad.

Uden, The...
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
60,942 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: perkinsville road to Williams, AZ

Judge for yourself. Nice music as well:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZHwPVdcL5uA

Phoenix, Arizona
Level Contributor
39 posts
118 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: perkinsville road to Williams, AZ

Thanks,

We will be in a low clearance RV and looking for a campsite. I will look for a different area then.

Uden, The...
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
60,942 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: perkinsville road to Williams, AZ

Good decision!

Birmingham, United...
Level Contributor
1 post
10 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: perkinsville road to Williams, AZ

I accidentally travelled this route (the GPS got us completely lost) in a rental. I was worried about the tyres tne entire way, as the road surface was so poor. However, this was certainly one of the best drives I've ever done. Because you're so far away from civilisation (it at times feels) it seems like a real adventure and the scenery is outstanding.

As mentioned above; it's probably not a good idea to do this in a rental, I think I was very lucky with my Nissan Almera not to have damaged anything. However, I wouldn't go back and do anything different. Such an amazing drive.

Uden, The...
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
60,942 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: perkinsville road to Williams, AZ

Think the OP already is back as this thread almost is one year old.

8. Re: perkinsville road to Williams, AZ

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11 February 2016, 15:16