We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Yuma lodging/hotels

Which Yuma hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Newcastle, United...
Level Contributor
5 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
Yuma lodging/hotels

We are staying in Yuma for 2 nights at the end of Oct. Does any one know of somewhere to stay thats a bit different than a normal hotel. A ranch or something that little bit different. We are from the UK and want to feel the south west real deal.

Phoenix, Arizona
Destination Expert
for Phoenix
Level Contributor
6,308 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Yuma lodging/hotels

There are all kinds of ranches and "ranch style" B&Bs in Arizona, but none in Yuma that I know of. Yuma isn't really at the top of most people's traveling list; you'll find mostly basic motels and small hotels in that area. Just out of curiosity, why are you going to Yuma?

You'll find more dude ranches near Tucson and Wickenburg, if you're headed that way.

Newcastle, United...
Level Contributor
5 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Yuma lodging/hotels

Hi Thanks for getting back.

Yuma is part of a round trip from LA, DV, Yuma and SD.

Always wanted to visit the prison also. Basically i have never been and its on the loop.

tucson az
Destination Expert
for Tucson, Arizona, Northern Mexico
Level Contributor
15,572 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Yuma lodging/hotels

There are some B&Bs in Yuma. Two were just featured in the magazine Arizona Highways: The Adobe House and Jenny Kent's B&B. Otherwise there I would stick with the national chain hotels of which there are several along I-8.

That's really a rather dreary itinerary. Almost none of it is very scenic unless you get adventurous and get off the interstate highways. If you do, use maps and use a GPS only as a general guide as they are often wrong in remote areas.

There's really not much to see or do in Yuma. The prison is just a big old stone building with iron gates on small cells, and worth at most an hour.

There's a very scenic drive from DV back to Palm Springs through the Joshua Tree Natl Mon and then through the mountains between Palm Springs and San Diego

Edited: 04 September 2011, 20:18
Encinitas...
Destination Expert
for Zion National Park, Joshua Tree National Park
Level Contributor
17,125 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Yuma lodging/hotels

That drive Bob mentioned between DV and Palm Spings is pretty scenic.You will go thru the Mojave Scenic Preserve,which has more Joshua Trees than Joshua Tree National Park. Be sure to stop in at the restored Kelso train depot. It houses the park headquarters and a museum, as well as the Beanery, the restored diner.

Then drive thru Joshua Tree NP.

There is a cool slot canyon south of the south exit of JT off Box Canyon Road in Painted Canyon.The temps in late October should be cool enough to visit, but you never can tell.If its hot, avoid like the plague.

Not really sure of the draw to Yuma, but its your vacation.

tucson az
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
15,572 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Yuma lodging/hotels

The other drive I had in mind in my suggestion is from Palm Springs through the Sierras on scenic roads. You could overnight in the Palm Springs area after Joshua Tree. In Palm Desert a little east of Palm Springs, you take Monterrey Ave south which becomes Pines to Palms Highway 74. This goes up through a canyon into the mountains. At Hwy 371 Cahuilla Rd you go east to Hwy 79, You will pass some overlooks of the desert to the east. At Julian Rd Hwy 78 you can go east about 5 miles to the picturesque little town of Julian. Julian is famous for apples. Have lunch and eat some apple pie; a few places have outdoor patios. Then go west on Hwy 78 to Ramon and take Hwy 67 south to I-8, then west to San Diego. You will find all this more interesting than driving along the Colorado River to Yuma.

Arizona
Destination Expert
for Scottsdale
Level Contributor
4,441 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Yuma lodging/hotels

BobB, that is one of my favorite drives and Julian Apple Pie is my favorite pie ever...the backroads of that part of CA are true gems in my book.

tucson az
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
15,572 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Yuma lodging/hotels

Just so the OP understands, "back roads" as mentioned here, which is how we refer to them, are not unpaved narrow roads like some in the UK. The roads mentioned are all paved all-weather roads. If you find yourself on a dirt or gravel road, if you didn't go there on purpose and know where you're going, you're in the wrong place.

"At Hwy 371 Cahuilla Rd you go east to Hwy 79"

That should be "At Hwy 371 Cahuilla Rd you go west to Hwy 79 south"

Edited: 05 September 2011, 06:20
tucson az
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
15,572 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Yuma lodging/hotels

I also should ask what you think the "Southwest real deal" is? Yuma is close to being a border city with Mexico, and is dominated by agriculture, military and retirement enterprises. About all that you will find "Southwest" there is its location and some of the architecture, and the fact that is has a large Mexican population which is something that helps the Southwest be Southwest.

I think what you are looking for is ranches and Southwestern architecture. That would be Tucson, Phoenix, Santa Fe, Albuquerque, etc. We're not a cowboy culture any more. All these cities are home to significant technological businesses and universities, and are very modern, though all have remnants of the past, most particularly Tucson and Santa Fe. Yuma is where it is because the railroad crosses the river there, but I doubt it's what you're looking for.

Encinitas...
Destination Expert
for Zion National Park, Joshua Tree National Park
Level Contributor
17,125 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Yuma lodging/hotels

If you were just looking for a quiet desert town to hang out for a few days on the route you want to do,consider Borrego Springs ,California.Its south of the urban sprawl of the Palm Springs area. The town is surrounded by the state park of Anza Borrego,so it really can't grow.No stoplights,very small town feel.

From there, the previosly mentioned Julian is just up the hill.

10. Re: Yuma lodging/hotels

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12 November 2012, 01:15
Get answers to your questions about Yuma