We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

two night getaway suggestions near Hot Springs area

Level Contributor
28 posts
88 reviews
Save Topic
two night getaway suggestions near Hot Springs area

Absolutely lost as far as a pretty, mountainous spot to stay in the Hotsprings area. We are more inclined toward scenic, mountainous and historic than toward entertainment or night life. Two seniors from Austin Texas area for a brief getaway

5 replies to this topic
little rock arkansas
Destination Expert
for Little Rock, Arkansas
Level Contributor
3,326 posts
290 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: two night getaway suggestions near Hot Springs area

It is a pretty long drive from Austin for a two night stay at any of the mountainous Arkansas retreats I know of. Maybe others can come up with closer ideas. Queen Wilhelmena Lodge would be a possibility but it is closed till 2013 for remodeling.

DeGray Lodge is a closer possibility but it is more of a lakeside hotel.

www.degray.com

My suggestions in Hot Springs would be Lookout Point Bed and Breakfast but it is a lakeside spot and not really isolated nor mountainous, or the more reasonable Five Points or Lake Catherine State Park , all lakeside spots.

lookoutpointinn.com

www.fivepointslakehamilton.com

www.arkansasstateparks.com/lakecatherine

Though longer drives, there are no finer mountain-top retreats than the three premiere Arkansas River Valley State Parks, Petit Jean (closest to Hot Springs), Mt Nebo, and furthest from HS, Mt Magazine. Check the websites for each. Petit Jean lodge has just undergone a major restoration, Mt Magazine has a beautiful new lodge and large cabins, and Mt Nebo is more primitive and isolated. Avoid weekends for more isolation! Get on waiting lists if they are booked.

www.petitjeanstatepark.com

www.arkansasstateparks.com/mountnebo

www.mountmagazinestatepark.com

Tanyard Springs is a private grouping of cabins at Petit Jean.

www.tanyardsprings.com

Though I don’t have a lodging recommendation in the area, Old Washington might be a pleasant historic stop just off I30 above Terxarkana.

www.historicwashingtonstatepark.com

Even longer driving but the current favorite attraction in Arkansas is Crystal Bridges Museum, the newly opened $4billion art museum built by the Walmart heiress. My fav place to stay nearby is Inn at the Mill.

crystalbridges.org

www.innatthemill.com

Edited: 07 May 2012, 21:23
Level Contributor
28 posts
88 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: two night getaway suggestions near Hot Springs area

Thank you so much for all your help. I think it is invaluable to any going there on a first time vacation.

Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
116 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: two night getaway suggestions near Hot Springs area

I would second the recommendation for the Mt. Magazine Lodge. We were just there last week and it was so serene and beautiful. The rooms are really great. Very clean and every room has a view. Balcony rooms were sold out the night we were there, but if I went back I would really want one. My parents are already planning to go back for their 53 anniversary next year. Be sure to book early though to get the type of room you want.

little rock arkansas
Destination Expert
for Little Rock, Arkansas
Level Contributor
3,326 posts
290 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: two night getaway suggestions near Hot Springs area

Jinglegirl did you get to see the Magazine cabins? They are awesome also. Hot tubs out on the decks overlooking the valley. wow

4 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: two night getaway suggestions near Hot Springs area

You didn't say when you are traveling so it might be too late for this but no one seemed to have mentioned there are many cabins around lake ouachita in hot springs

Reply to: two night getaway suggestions near Hot Springs area
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Caddo Gap